E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMS Thermostat Question?

05-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

BMS Thermostat Question?

In the form of an introduction, I have a 2007 e92 335i sport (build date 8/06) that came without the factory oil cooler. I decided it was time to purchase an OC and decided on the ER kit and retrofit kit. My goal is to keep the oil temps a little lower than 245 degrees on spirited runs. For this reason I purchased the BMS thermostat.

Now I've looked at the BMS website and it shows two factory thermostats and explains if your factory thermostat looks like one of the two that it would work.

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/2007_low_temprature_thermostat.jpg

Unfortunately mine looks different than both of them. (There must be at least three options not two) It does look more like the one that fits but after a closer look it is different. I will post pics of mine later.

My question is, has anybody else encountered this problem? Was there a solution? It does seem like I can close the housing door but it seems to rub on the side of the housing. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

I got mine from PTF with my last oil change. No issues here, really works well for such a cheap mod

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/oil-t...s-2008-models/
      05-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90
I got mine from PTF with my last oil change. No issues here, really works well for such a cheap mod

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/oil-t...s-2008-models/
Did your stock thermostat look like one of the ones on link above or was it different?

I'm sold on the bms thermostat. I'm just not sure if it will work with my housing and spring? I can shut the housing door but it doesn't fit like the stock thermostat that came with my retrofit kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Take some pics.
Worse case you could always swap out the oil tstat housing for the newer one. I believe a new updated one is about $90 at ecs. There is a gasket you should replace behind there anyway.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES24061/
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

07 Options

Ok so the BMS and similar LOW TEMP device keeps the temps at 230F .

Because I have the original thermostat -- then only options are to :

a. Leave it alone -- get best ester oil to help run cooler

b. Reverse the spring / thermostat and by-pass -- Concern over 200F temps?

c. Purchase oil cooler ~ AR or others

d. Purchase new style oil filter housing that will allow for BMS Thermo
($90.00 + seal at ECS)

What do the experts say: (FOR NON-TRACK USE in HOT Alabama) ??????
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

just do the damn thermostat bypass from youtube...its the same thing lol. you just reverse the spring
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep

190F vs 225F

Per BMS:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mentioned in the other thread we had tried this approach first before deciding on the bypass plug. The issue is the sizing and design of the factory thermostat itself. Yes, flipping the spring sort of works (I ran it for awhile) but there are some trade offs involved with respect to oil flow and cooling capacity. The bypass plug does a better job and does not cost much. But as always it comes down to personal needs.

Some addl info on the trade-offs with flipping the spring:

1) The factory stat is wide enough to fully cover one of the oil passages when "closed". But, when you remove the spring and push it all the way back, because it's so long, it partially blocks the other oil passage. It needs to be a couple mm shorter to allow full flow through both passages when pushed in place.

2) It has holes in it to allow oil to flow over its heat-sensitive element. But these holes also allow a percentage of oil flow to bypass the cooler all together. These holes should be blocked to improve overall cooling capacity.

3) Finally, it's pin is not the right diameter and length to lock in place. Instead the backwards spring holds it down. Which is probably fine but leaves open the possibly for it to move around as temperature and pressure fluctuate. When it comes to oil control I'd rather have it locked firmly in place.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

dude, all you have to do is take take the spring and reverse places with plunger: put plunger in first then spring behind it to hold it in place
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024
just do the damn thermostat bypass from youtube...its the same thing lol. you just reverse the spring
yep, do this!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Per BMS:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mentioned in the other thread we had tried this approach first before deciding on the bypass plug. The issue is the sizing and design of the factory thermostat itself. Yes, flipping the spring sort of works (I ran it for awhile) but there are some trade offs involved with respect to oil flow and cooling capacity. The bypass plug does a better job and does not cost much. But as always it comes down to personal needs.

Some addl info on the trade-offs with flipping the spring:

1) The factory stat is wide enough to fully cover one of the oil passages when "closed". But, when you remove the spring and push it all the way back, because it's so long, it partially blocks the other oil passage. It needs to be a couple mm shorter to allow full flow through both passages when pushed in place.

2) It has holes in it to allow oil to flow over its heat-sensitive element. But these holes also allow a percentage of oil flow to bypass the cooler all together. These holes should be blocked to improve overall cooling capacity.

3) Finally, it's pin is not the right diameter and length to lock in place. Instead the backwards spring holds it down. Which is probably fine but leaves open the possibly for it to move around as temperature and pressure fluctuate. When it comes to oil control I'd rather have it locked firmly in place.
1) it barely blocks the passage on the backside but it really doesnt matter as its not blocked enough for it to even matter. the part where the AN fitting is actually not blocked at all.

2) you are right but again the holes are so tiny most of the oil will go through the oil coolers.

3) the spring is holding it down...tell you the truth this part doesnt really even matter as even if you didnt put the spring in at all the pressure is greater on the inlet side so it will always be pushed to the outlet side.

all im saying is that i have already tried this and on the highway with 60F ambient temperature my oil temps never got above 190F and i personally thought it was a bit cool so i have to resort back to factory settings where i am at 230F.

im trying to cut my spring slightly where i can get 220F to open but pliers will not cut them...need some bolt cutters lol. damn the spring is a monster.

and also you are right about the bms one working slightly better but its so minimal that you actually might be disappointed if do it...but who knows maybe its a miracle worker.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep

In Agreement

I have no issue in accomplishing the spring swap -- my point is the same as yours: Around 225F is the optimal temp (N54) I am looking for and most have found that the spring / thermo sway renders 195F on average. In most cars that would be good and even on the high side. So - after trying this out -- I too am back to the original set-up & moving on.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
I have no issue in accomplishing the spring swap -- my point is the same as yours: Around 225F is the optimal temp (N54) I am looking for and most have found that the spring / thermo sway renders 195F on average. In most cars that would be good and even on the high side. So - after trying this out -- I too am back to the original set-up & moving on.
but i dont get why you would want the bms one in there then as it would be even cooler
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Once you find the answer whosdady please let me know. I'm in the same boat as you!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bme30 View Post
Once you find the answer whosdady please let me know. I'm in the same boat as you!
+1
FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
Appreciate 0