E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF Downpipes not fitting

05-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i, 2022 X5 M50i

VRSF Downpipes not fitting

Just got a call from the shop installing my DP's and they say they do not fit!!! Anyone else encounter this?

EDIT: Just got a call back from the shop and with a little convincing they fit. Sorry for the alarming post.

Last edited by JAL0988; 05-30-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

are you sure you order the VRSF Xdrive downpipes?

N54 or N55?
      05-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

The vrsf pipes definitely require some extra muscle to get in. The money you'll save on them you'll pay in shop time lol
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
The vrsf pipes definitely require some extra muscle to get in. The money you'll save on them you'll pay in shop time lol
This was a set of XI's and the shop who installed these was unfamiliar with DP installs on this platform. After a quick conversation, the fitment problem was resolved.

Our new revised DP's bolt right on. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that our downpipes provide more clearance and bolt up faster than any competitors downpipes after this latest revision.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
This was a set of XI's and the shop who installed these was unfamiliar with DP installs on this platform. After a quick conversation, the fitment problem was resolved.

Our new revised DP's bolt right on. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that our downpipes provide more clearance and bolt up faster than any competitors downpipes after this latest revision.
Vrsf and perfect fitment just don't go together. At least the previous revisions.
But not trying thread jack was just trying to help OP.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Vrsf and perfect fitment just don't go together. At least the previous revisions.
Um not sure what vrsf pipes you have experience with. Took me less than 2 hours installing myself with the car on jackstands without a single issue.
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We had one batch of about 30 pipes where fitment on one of the pipes was a bit off which inspired the revision. Out of the other 540 we sold from that first version, we've had 7 sets swapped out due to fitment issues.

As this thread is proof of, the fault generally lies with the installer as there are a handful of "these pipes don't fit" threads with all brands of DP's.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

I had to have part of my frame tapped in with a hammer to keep the pipes from touching the frame and creating a vibration. All is good now but it cost me an additional $200 to have them refitted and the frame beat in alil bit
      05-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We generally recommend contacting us when this kind of issue arises as we have a few different methods that don't involve permanent modification to the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
We had one batch of about 30 pipes where fitment on one of the pipes was a bit off which inspired the revision. Out of the other 540 we sold from that first version, we've had 7 sets swapped out due to fitment issues.

As this thread is proof of, the fault generally lies with the installer as there are a handful of "these pipes don't fit" threads with all brands of DP's.
Your flanges are far too bulky and are difficult to mate to the turbos - that was my fitment issue. The clamps barely fit over them. I also had to adjust your pipes 3 times because they flex VERY easily. There was no install error. I wasn't trying to thread jack but its obvious in my case and apparently at least 30 others "perfect fitment" was not accurate. Don't even get me started on your IC which I'm still modifying to fit "perfect" -_-
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Lunatic Fringe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Your flanges are far too bulky and are difficult to mate to the turbos - that was my fitment issue. The clamps barely fit over them. I also had to adjust your pipes 3 times because they flex VERY easily. There was no install error. I wasn't trying to thread jack but its obvious in my case and apparently at least 30 others "perfect fitment" was not accurate. Don't even get me started on your IC which I'm still modifying to fit "perfect" -_-
I prefer to stay out of this crap, but is it really necessary to publicly disparage VRSF? They've made revisions to their products and Tiago always puts his customers first. Perhaps if you spoke to him, he would have a solution for your Intercooler. It's always the decent vendors that get beat up on these forums. Running a business is tough enough as it is. Please try to be a little respectful.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
VRSF IC for FTW! 7" went in like a glove!

Just need the right tools

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe
Quote:
I prefer to stay out of this crap, but is it really necessary to publicly disparage VRSF? They've made revisions to their products and Tiago always puts his customers first. Perhaps if you spoke to him, he would have a solution for your Intercooler. It's always the decent vendors that get beat up on these forums. Running a business is tough enough as it is. Please try to be a little respectful.
Let me be clear - tiago has great customer service. We spoke and couldn't come to a solution. I have no hard feelings against him or vrsf based on a customer/vendor relationship. However, both the downpipes and IC fit far from perfect in my case. I think it's necessary for me to share my experience wherever possible especially since this forum has a heavily biased opinion on vrsf products. Performance bang for the buck is great, fitment not so much.
Anyways OP glad the issue was resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The DP's are now installed. They just needed to be twisted around a little bit in order to fit. All in all I'm very happy with them and even the shop manager(who has AR dp's) said they were great quality. Definitely a good purchase if you're not willing to spend close to a grand for AR's.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe View Post
Well said, I've tried to back them up in countless threads where I see people bash them. In most cases, the people doing the bashing dont even have experience with VRSF products first hand.

Quote:
Let me be clear - tiago has great customer service. We spoke and couldn't come to a solution. I have no hard feelings against him or vrsf based on a customer/vendor relationship. However, both the downpipes and IC fit far from perfect in my case. I think it's necessary for me to share my experience wherever possible especially since this forum has a heavily biased opinion on vrsf products. Performance bang for the buck is great, fitment not so much.
Anyways OP glad the issue was resolved.
I understand where your coming from. When you really think about it, VRSF has sold almost (or more) 600 sets of downpipes, and not even 5% having fitment issues, Thats a pretty good percentage if you ask me. And for that 5% with issues, im sure he corrected it and stood behind his products. Im not exactly sure how much more you could ask from the guy.
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
Ovitrix335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

I never had a problem installing my vrsf 3" catless downpipes and 7" fmic. Fitment was spot on.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovitrix335 View Post
I never had a problem installing my vrsf 3" catless downpipes and 7" fmic. Fitment was spot on.
I believe it's an xDrive issue, they take a little more convincing to get in there. Love the DP's though. I'm also in love with the extra sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Ovitrix335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBBTT
Quote:
I believe it's an xDrive issue, they take a little more convincing to get in there. Love the DP's though. I'm also in love with the extra sound.
The car pulls harder with the catless dps and upgraded fmic ))
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The car pulls harder with the catless dps and upgraded fmic ))
I know the next mod is definitely the FMIC. Then maybe METH
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
Ovitrix335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm going to hold out on the meth right now. I'm working on a e30 map with Jake at PTF. The car pulls hard and it's smooth
E85 is great ))
When I do upgraded turbos i'll consider meth. I hate the damn siren sound on my stockers but at least they hold boost for now ...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just to clarify, it was a simple installation error on the shops part:

"Thanks for getting back to me. They ended up fitting after I told them to rotate. Sorry for the false alarm. I was just hearing it through the phone that they weren't fitting correctly but then I told him to rotate the pipes and then they fit. I believe I was the first xDrive car they've done so it was a learning process for them. Thanks and sorry for the false alarm.

PS- The shop manager said they are very high quality DP's and he has AR downpipes on his 135i. He said they are great so you should be proud of a quality product "
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

I do not know anything about Tiago's customer service and only PM him once, however
I own a pair of VRSF DP's and the fitment was perfect.