F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Custom Tunes
Extreme Powerhouse

06-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Custom Tunes

I know the popular software upgrades for the N55 seem to be the MPPK (which I have), the Dinan software (which isn't out yet for the f30), as well as piggybacks like the JB4. My question is....has anyone had experience with any "custom" tuners? I ask because I scheduled to have my car dynoed at a place called Smokey's Dyno Facility in Akron, Ohio....and through the conversation on the phone with one of the owners/techs (I haven't actually brought it in to dyno yet), he made me a believer in their custom tunes. He explained how much more thorough and reliable his tune would be because the take all things into account (cooling, oil temp, etc.) when they design their flash tunes. He mentioned that he guaranteed I would be happy with the protect and I'd have no reliability issues because they cover all of their bases. I also checked out the website and they have a huge staff of techs and look very professional.

Any thoughts or experiences with this type of custom tuning?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I know the popular software upgrades for the N55 seem to be the MPPK (which I have), the Dinan software (which isn't out yet for the f30), as well as piggybacks like the JB4. My question is....has anyone had experience with any "custom" tuners? I ask because I scheduled to have my car dynoed at a place called Smokey's Dyno Facility in Akron, Ohio....and through the conversation on the phone with one of the owners/techs (I haven't actually brought it in to dyno yet), he made me a believer in their custom tunes. He explained how much more thorough and reliable his tune would be because the take all things into account (cooling, oil temp, etc.) when they design their flash tunes. He mentioned that he guaranteed I would be happy with the protect and I'd have no reliability issues because they cover all of their bases. I also checked out the website and they have a huge staff of techs and look very professional.

Any thoughts or experiences with this type of custom tuning?
I would reach out to Terry Burger and ask him his opinion. He knows a lot about tuning in general and can give you some pros and cons to standard tunes vs. one-off custom tunes.

Additionally, I personally see a lot of value in reputation and track record, hell that's why Yelp is as big as it is, right? That's why I went with Terry, and others have gone with Shiv, Cobb, etc., because they have 1000s of customers a portion of which provide very useful feedback on the performance of their tune to the community to help others feel confident in the tune. That being said, I would reach out to previous customers of Smokey's tuning shop to see what specifically they had tuned and what their impressions are of the tune.

Lastly, I would ensure that you get that guarantee in writing and make sure it covers you if they mess up your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
I would reach out to Terry Burger and ask him his opinion. He knows a lot about tuning in general and can give you some pros and cons to standard tunes vs. one-off custom tunes.

Additionally, I personally see a lot of value in reputation and track record, hell that's why Yelp is as big as it is, right? That's why I went with Terry, and others have gone with Shiv, Cobb, etc., because they have 1000s of customers a portion of which provide very useful feedback on the performance of their tune to the community to help others feel confident in the tune. That being said, I would reach out to previous customers of Smokey's tuning shop to see what specifically they had tuned and what their impressions are of the tune.

Lastly, I would ensure that you get that guarantee in writing and make sure it covers you if they mess up your car.
Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I very well may just leave my car stock (w/the MPPK), but it did piqué my interest. I figured custom tunes were more commonplace.
Appreciate 0