E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PCV solution?

06-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

PCV solution?

Just did a search and didn't find anything definitive. I remember the old thread, and was a part of it under a different username, but nothing ever came of it.

So, did anyone ever come up with a solid OCC, Venturi in DP, etc solution for eliminating the PCV ports in the intake manifold while retaining vacuum readings that fall within factory spec?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
tjnitsche
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335 FBO

rb has an upgraded pcv valve... and I have bms occ works really well
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

As far as I know, nobody has actually gone foward with setting up a DP venturi for the PCV. The ideal solution would be to have the check valve hooked up to a venturi bung in the downpipe, the rear turbo inlet pipe's PCV connection capped off, fully catless exhaust, and RB's upgraded valve so boost pressure is kept out of the crank, and you have a strong vacuum source full time.

I don't reccomend an oil catch can to anybody for this car, because the little vacuum that's there is extremely weak when you connect any OCC to it, and will cause issues. Either leave the stock check valve and hose system the way it is, or hook it up to a venturi bung in the downpipe IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep

OCCs being bad for this car isn't entirely true. The AR and BSH were able to flow within BMW's specs according to DZENNO with a set of RB's.

I guess what I am really wondering is, why can't we use 2 OCCs? One for positive pressure PCVs and one for the vacuum pulling PCVs.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry View Post
OCCs being bad for this car isn't entirely true. The AR and BSH were able to flow within BMW's specs according to DZENNO with a set of RB's.

I guess what I am really wondering is, why can't we use 2 OCCs? One for positive pressure PCVs and one for the vacuum pulling PCVs.
My personal experience would beg to differ. It caused exhaust smoke on my car when I ran the BMS OCC. The vacum source is almost insufficient on the stock system (rear turbo inlet); when you add an OCC to the system the vacuum becomes extremely weak. You have to remember, testing the vacuum through the OCC won't always give you accurate data, as vacuum will be less or more depending on how much boost you are running at the moment the check valve is open. Partial throttle will give almost zero vacuum and pull-through the OCC.

Because the PCV valve is integrated into the valve cover, you can't connect an OCC to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

i have the bms occ and rb pcv and i have no issues and ive been running it for over a year
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
My personal experience would beg to differ. It caused exhaust smoke on my car when I ran the BMS OCC. The vacum source is almost insufficient on the stock system (rear turbo inlet); when you add an OCC to the system the vacuum becomes extremely weak. You have to remember, testing the vacuum through the OCC won't always give you accurate data, as vacuum will be less or more depending on how much boost you are running at the moment the check valve is open. Partial throttle will give almost zero vacuum and pull-through the OCC.

Because the PCV valve is integrated into the valve cover, you can't connect an OCC to it.
I'd have to dig back through the thread to find D's testing method. As far as the valve cover integration, I get that, but don't see why it couldn't be plugged, drilled and a fitting installed to reroute it outside of the cover? Sure a solution may not be plug and play and may not be elegant to start, but that doesn't mean it can't and shouldn't be done.

What we need is a full diagram of the stock PCV system labeled with the pressures/vacuum in each section. I haven't found it all yet, but would be grateful if someone who has the info still could drop it in here.

We need more of the "This is how it could work" and less of the "This is why it won't work." Anything suggested should not be refuted without an idea to take it's place IMO. Gotta drive things forward, not stagnate them.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
i have the bms occ and rb pcv and i have no issues and ive been running it for over a year
How do your intake valves look? That would be the indisputable proof in the pudding.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

Havent looked yet im scheduling a walnut blasting soon as im over 55k will let you know

Quote:
How do your intake valves look? That would be the indisputable proof in the pudding.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres
Havent looked yet im scheduling a walnut blasting soon as im over 55k will let you know

Quote:
Perfecto!
Appreciate 0