E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is methanol a bad idea for a daily driven car?

06-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

Is methanol a bad idea for a daily driven car?

Hey guys,

I've been reading up on meth kits over the past week, and I am still not sure if it's something I should add to my car or not. This is my only vehicle, and I drive it about 24 miles each way to work 5 days a week. I have pretty much all the other common mods for the N54 (listed below in my sig.)

The closest E85 is about an hour and a half away, so that option is not particularly attractive to me. Off the shelf boosters like Torco are also not a direction I really want to go in. I'm considering methanol after reading so many great reviews here on the forums.

Am I setting myself up for problems by adding this mod to a daily driven car? Will I constantly be refilling the tank and dumping loads of money into purchasing methanol? I'm just looking to hear from some people that actually have this mod and can comment on how easy it is to "live with." I've read up on all the technical specs and I understand the mod and its potential risks and benefits. I'm just curious about the actual day to day ownership considerations.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been reading up on meth kits over the past week, and I am still not sure if it's something I should add to my car or not. This is my only vehicle, and I drive it about 24 miles each way to work 5 days a week. I have pretty much all the other common mods for the N54 (listed below in my sig.)

The closest E85 is about an hour and a half away, so that option is not particularly attractive to me. Off the shelf boosters like Torco are also not a direction I really want to go in. I'm considering methanol after reading so many great reviews here on the forums.

Am I setting myself up for problems by adding this mod to a daily driven car? Will I constantly be refilling the tank and dumping loads of money into purchasing methanol? I'm just looking to hear from some people that actually have this mod and can comment on how easy it is to "live with." I've read up on all the technical specs and I understand the mod and its potential risks and benefits. I'm just curious about the actual day to day ownership considerations.
not at all, just get the right kit (stainless lines, 4-AN fittings, trunk mount ECT). I daily drive my car and zero issues.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I did daily drive my car on methanol. I filled it up about once a month. You can easily burn through it in a day though if you have a heavy foot. (1 gallon trunk mount).

They all come with their problems though. They require maintenance and upkeep.

That said, i don't recommended it for everyone. As I mentioned through PM, it's not for beginners.

Roll the dice and if you dont like it sell it.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 06-04-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

daily drive with meth for 2 years now and have had zero problems .
2gal trunk mount tank and I top it off prob once every few weeks.
and if your running a 50/50 mix its cheap.
      06-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

I have a 5 gal trunk mount and run 100% meth. My STi also runs meth, both are daily driven.

Other than having to occasionally check the trunk on the bmw as it doesn't have a level sensor, it's no big deal.
Appreciate 0