E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > White smoke on startup

06-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
jeeve.x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

White smoke on startup

Hello everyone. On two separate occasions I have noticed excessive amount of white smoke pouring out of the driver side exhaust (golf tee mod) not so much on the passenger side on startup in the morning after the car has been sitting overnight. Lasted for around 20 seconds and it all went away, no smoke when the car warmed up and started to move.

I have no mods done to the exhaust and there were faint oil burning smell, so I guess there is a leak somewhere. If there is a leak, why doesn't it happen every time I start the car in the morning? These two instances were weeks apart. Where could the leak possibly be? Valve cover gasket? Any help? Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
jeeve.x
Lieutenant
Rep

Help help help
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Is it possible it's just moisture burning off and the smell of oil is really just the smell of gas that hasn't been burned thoroughly since the car / catalytic converter isn't warmed up fully?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

There are numerous issues with this platform that can lead to smoking. However a new one that I have been pointed to is the poor design of the front oil return line. I am really beginning to believe that it could be the culprit on some vehicles with a left side only smoking exhaust, and thus am in the middle of redesigning a custom front oil return line to see where it takes us.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
jeeve.x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Is it possible it's just moisture burning off and the smell of oil is really just the smell of gas that hasn't been burned thoroughly since the car / catalytic converter isn't warmed up fully?
Thanks Jeff, I really hope that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
jeeve.x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
There are numerous issues with this platform that can lead to smoking. However a new one that I have been pointed to is the poor design of the front oil return line. I am really beginning to believe that it could be the culprit on some vehicles with a left side only smoking exhaust, and thus am in the middle of redesigning a custom front oil return line to see where it takes us.

Rob
Do keep us posted on this one Rob. In the meantime, what do you suggest that I do? The smoke was back this morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
prepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post

Rob
Hey Rob, I just went to the dealer and they said I have a leak on the oil return line and that the gaskets need to be replaced. Do you know of any diagrams/blown up engine pictures that can help me locate the return line since there seems to be quite a few surrounding the turbo…thanks
Appreciate 0