F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > First Alloy wheel damage, now bumper damage
Extreme Powerhouse

06-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
Reza M
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M Sport

First Alloy wheel damage, now bumper damage

Hi folks,

I am so annoyed with myself todayhttp://www.f30post.com/forums/images/smilies/mad0260.gif. Few days ago I posted a thread about finding scuff marks on my alloys (403M) without knowing how it had happened.

Well, that was duly fixed on Thursday, but yesterday, as I was backing up my drive (and I know this is totally my fault) I hit by neighbour's parked e90, despite the sensor's coming on. The collision resulted in a minor scratch on his bumper (which I pretty much removed for him using my trusty Meguiars scratch remover) and two small humps (yes, humps, not bumps) on mine. They are small but visible. And all this happens to a guy that can't sleep for a whole week if he gets even a small scratch on this car.

Anyways, the same mobile repairer that fixed my alloy is coming around week on Monday to fix it. I was surprised that the humps can be repaired but he said he can do it.

Yes, I know, these things can happen, but it was my own fault and I pretty much didn't sleep all night last night. I just hope it can be repaired properlyhttp://www.f30post.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif.

Cheers

Reza
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

I feel your pain. The harder you try to look after something, the more it acts like a magnet for minor damage!

Re the repair to your 403 alloy, how did the mobile repair the face, given that it is diamond cut?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
Reza M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
I feel your pain. The harder you try to look after something, the more it acts like a magnet for minor damage!

Re the repair to your 403 alloy, how did the mobile repair the face, given that it is diamond cut?

Yes you are absolutely right.

The repairer simply painted and lacquered over the area surrounding the scuff. You have to really, really look close to see any hint of repair. It blends in with the rest really well.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
You're following the same path as me... quite a hefty kerbing of my n/side front, then a buckled n/side rear, then just this week someone took my n/side front bumper down to the bare plastic! So I can totally sympathise with what you're feeling.

On the plus side, most things can be fixed, just a pain at having to spend money on that rather than goodies and improvements I wonder if he's planning to fix the 'humps' by warming the bumper gently and smoothing them back down? Hope he gets your ride back to pristine condition and that you don't have any more nasty surprises!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
Reza M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
You're following the same path as me... quite a hefty kerbing of my n/side front, then a buckled n/side rear, then just this week someone took my n/side front bumper down to the bare plastic! So I can totally sympathise with what you're feeling.

On the plus side, most things can be fixed, just a pain at having to spend money on that rather than goodies and improvements I wonder if he's planning to fix the 'humps' by warming the bumper gently and smoothing them back down? Hope he gets your ride back to pristine condition and that you don't have any more nasty surprises!
Thanks Rob. I think you are right about how he is planning to fix it. He mentioned he would push the humps back in, may be even change them into dimples, fill and smooth them over and then paint the area. He did however say that humps are difficult to get 100% right and there could be a bit of a ripple afterwards. Not sure what he meant by that but as long at the newly painted area is nicely blended in and the humps are 95% gone, I would be a happy man.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza M View Post
Yes you are absolutely right.

The repairer simply painted and lacquered over the area surrounding the scuff. You have to really, really look close to see any hint of repair. It blends in with the rest really well.
That's interesting. So if I understand correctly, he's actually used a paint finish to get close to the diamond cut finish?

I'm just about to get a set of 397's refurbished to act as a set of winter wheels. I'm not sure whether to get the diamond faces re cut (as they are lightly curbed) or just ask the refurbisher to use a paint finish.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Thanks Rob. I think you are right about how he is planning to fix it. He mentioned he would push the humps back in, may be even change them into dimples, fill and smooth them over and then paint the area. He did however say that humps are difficult to get 100% right and there could be a bit of a ripple afterwards. Not sure what he meant by that but as long at the newly painted area is nicely blended in and the humps are 95% gone, I would be a happy man.
Whole bumper off ebay?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Reza M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
That's interesting. So if I understand correctly, he's actually used a paint finish to get close to the diamond cut finish?

I'm just about to get a set of 397's refurbished to act as a set of winter wheels. I'm not sure whether to get the diamond faces re cut (as they are lightly curbed) or just ask the refurbisher to use a paint finish.
Yes, that is correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is correct.
Thanks. Hope that you get your damage repaired quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Don't feel too bad. Within the first month I got my car, someone at a shopping centre backed into me while I was parked and scraped off a thumbnail worth of paint off my front bumper and cracked my side reflector. Only way to repair that would be through a paint job.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Reza M
Rep

Update

Okay folks, after some pondering I decided to pay more and get the bumper properly fixed in the workshop used by my local BMW dealer. I have used them before and their workmanship is second to none. The upshot: estimated £430 http://www.f30post.com/forums/images...fused0068.gif; ouch!!! I deserve it though as it was my own stupid fault, but I need it properly fixed as the car is only 3 months old.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Okay folks, after some pondering I decided to pay more and get the bumper properly fixed in the workshop used by my local BMW dealer. I have used them before and their workmanship is second to none. The upshot: estimated £430 http://www.f30post.com/forums/images...fused0068.gif; ouch!!! I deserve it though as it was my own stupid fault, but I need it properly fixed as the car is only 3 months old.
Hi, did you check with BMW parts? I believe you can buy them pre painted. Just fitting then...DIY????
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Reza M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Hi, did you check with BMW parts? I believe you can buy them pre painted. Just fitting then...DIY????
No I didn't but surely buying a whole new bumper cover is far more expensive that repairing it?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I didn't but surely buying a whole new bumper cover is far more expensive that repairing it?
If you're reasonably competent at DIY, removing and refitting the front bumper is actually a straight forward task. I removed mine in order to fit a new lower grill on the MSport bumper and refitted it in about 3 hours.

Edit - just remembered that you're talking about the rear bumper whereas mine was the front! It's been a long day....

Last edited by crazybones; 06-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well you say that, but I replaced my GF's Honda Civic bumper. Was about £115 for a brand spanker, took me all of 25 minutes to fit, then sold the damaged one on ebay, for £35. Was going to cost something like £360 for repair. Nuts!!!!

The damage on that one by the way was similar to yours, the body shop admitted they might not be able to repair it as new, but also costed a bumper bar, which wasn't damaged at all.
Appreciate 0