E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb4 or Cobb

06-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
MarcusK24
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Jb4 or Cobb

I want to make my 335i faster but i do not want any problems to my car not one at all even if its in 5 years. Jb4 kinda messes up ur car and i was asking if cobb does or even a jb plus
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
09E90utah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive

Garage List
Why do you feel jb4 messes up your car? Just curious
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
MarcusK24
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09E90utah
Why do you feel jb4 messes up your car? Just curious
Alot of local people have it and it all has given problems to there cars
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthaK View Post
Alot of local people have it and it all has given problems to there cars
i had a few problems using COBB on my car.... do see how Jb4 could be worse.

*that being said 402 maps have been excellent and not having any issues atm.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

If by problems you mean misfires ( spark plugs, cool packs, injectors maybe) or more wastegate rattle because of the upped boost. Then honestly cobb/jb4 likely isn't for you. Maybe look into Dinan as there's offer warranty also.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
MarcusK24
Rep

Jb + i hear is harmless which gives 40/50 hp/torq. Maybe i should get that
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
If by problems you mean misfires ( spark plugs, cool packs, injectors maybe) or more wastegate rattle because of the upped boost. Then honestly cobb/jb4 likely isn't for you. Maybe look into Dinan as there's offer warranty also.
misfires where easy to fix. had strange gear changes and a few stumbles at 4k on wot... other then that car would feel off a lot of the time....

FMIC 402 maps so far have been perfect so no complaints at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
n54gte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthaK View Post
Jb + i hear is harmless which gives 40/50 hp/torq. Maybe i should get that
Don't tune your car
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

OP, what are you trying to justify? A tune is a tune... At the end of the day they all do the same thing, make power.

If you don't know how to turn a wrench and you don't want to do anything other than load an OTS map... Buy the COBB and be happy with life. Stg1 OTS (off the shelf) will make your car feel like a new car, basically how the car should have felt in the first place.

So stop flip flopping and just buy it and don't look back...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #10
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

OP, any tune can potentially expose weakness hidden in the engine. If you don't want the risk then don't tune. Some people who put a tune on then got coils/misfire issues. My Fuel pump just died after 40K on cobb and lead to more problem.

The golden saying is, you pay to play!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
MarcusK24
Rep

Just wanted to know the safest tune out there
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 750li

All of the big names are safe to a degree. You are adding power and boost to an engine that while perfectly capable of handling it, was not designed for it. Use at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Here we go again!

Here is a post from @Jeff@TopGearSolutions that pretty much sums it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Jb4 , Procede, and Cobb all have their benefits to people.

Let me preface by saying this is just what I've noticed on here by my customers:

On your basic otherwise stock vehicle some people simply prefer JB4 because of it's price point. Others may choose Cobb because it's easier to install and they like they idea of a flash tune VS a piggyback.

There are also a bunch of the reasons inbetween people choose one tune over another have it be brand loyalty, customer service support, or maybe a friend recommended one over the other.

Some like PRocede because of their integration with methanol, others can say the same for JB4 too. On the fly map switching, auto-tuning, ETC ETC are some other factors. E85 is also a new trend and I still believe its in it's infancy as all the tuners work out their bugs and find more fueling capacity.

Some people swear by flash tunes. Others don't care and if they can get similar power cheaper then that's their style.

The important the thing for the end user to decide is what they need out of the tune, learn the benefits and possibly cons of each tune, and deduce what is more important for them.

I can get into a bit more specifics but that always ends in a tuner war. There is not necessarily a wrong tune to get, but, if you have certain demands or things you want to avoid from a tune let us know and maybe someone can steer you one way or the other. Keep in mind there are many misconceptions, and biases. Everyone wants to believe they have the best tune so they usually just recommend what they have. (no offense to anyone here).

If you want the most unbiased opinion I can offer, shoot me a message and tell me what your looking for out of your vehicle. I can help.

Power Goals
Type of Fuel
Modifications
Turbo Upgrades
Methanol
E85
Installation procedures
Customer Support / Tuning Support

Those are some reasons to choose one tune over the other.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

And here's another post that sums up all the characteristics of each tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel335 View Post
I'll just leave this here...

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
misfires where easy to fix. had strange gear changes and a few stumbles at 4k on wot... other then that car would feel off a lot of the time....

FMIC 402 maps so far have been perfect so no complaints at the moment.
I was talking to OP. BMJ i also have cobb.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Sounds like you just want to bash JB and really don't know what you want. What's the point of this thread? Plenty on here about both. Add some substance and stop posting pointless slander.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i, 2022 X5 M50i

Sounds like your mind is made up. If you want ease of install, and aren't going to be running e85, then go with the cobb. if you plan on heavily modifying your car then go with the jb4. From the sound of it, you're not going to be FBO, so just go with the cobb. You'll be happy either way.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
carlsontheflyer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, AW, 6MT of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Sounds like you just want to bash JB and really don't know what you want. What's the point of this thread? Plenty on here about both. Add some substance and stop posting pointless slander.
I didn't see any bashing of any tune in OP's post. To me, it sounded like the OP didn't really know, and was talking from hearsay. Don't read into this post looking for things that aren't there.

OP, read Jeff's and other people's posts and make your own decision. Do your own research. Google is your friend. But first figure out what you are trying to accomplish with your car, and go from there. It took me about 6 months of research and reading before I made up my mind. I know exactly which mods I am going to do next and the reasons for them.

Good luck to you.

By the way, I went with Cobb AP. The power gains are just about the same from Cobb or JB4, but Cobb is a much more elegant and cleaner solution than a piggy-back tune. That's the reason even JB4 has to be flashed to the ECU using the Cobb AP to take advantage of the full potential of the firmware.

Ok, I think I need to put on my flame- and bullet-proof suit on right now.
      06-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The JB4 itself is very reliable. If you run higher boost maps then expect all the normal N54 problems that crop up at higher power levels. Plugs, injectors, coils, VANOS solenoids, the occasional boost leak, and that sort of stuff. Nothing difficult to resolve and you'll get them on any tune.

Cobb is also a great tune. I'd say both are very comparable performance wise when you match up the maps but there are also some differences between them. The Cobb is easier to install. The JB4 offers lots of additional nifty features like auto tuning (it adjusts itself for your fuel, mods, vehicle conditions, and weather), optional in dash boost gauges & shift light, startup sweep, user adjustable boost limiting in 1st & 2nd gear for better traction, the ability to disable it on the fly via its wheel control map switching, isolated boost control (less shift bogging), optional no lift shift and 2step limiter, and that sort of stuff. I think the JB4 features appeal a lot to "enthusiast" types while the Cobb ease of install appeals a lot to those who would otherwise get a PPK, Dinan, GIAC, etc. The set it and forget it types. Once you get in to serious power levels you really want both a JB4 and a DME flash to have the best of both worlds.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

Get a proper tune and go with a flash. Cobb gets my vote. Piggybacks are history on so many platforms.
      06-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
KMEninety335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Monaco Blue 335i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The JB4 itself is very reliable. If you run higher boost maps then expect all the normal N54 problems that crop up at higher power levels. Plugs, injectors, coils, VANOS solenoids, the occasional boost leak, and that sort of stuff. Nothing difficult to resolve and you'll get them on any tune.

Cobb is also a great tune. I'd say both are very comparable performance wise when you match up the maps but there are also some differences between them. The Cobb is easier to install. The JB4 offers lots of additional nifty features like auto tuning (it adjusts itself for your fuel, mods, vehicle conditions, and weather), optional in dash boost gauges & shift light, startup sweep, user adjustable boost limiting in 1st & 2nd gear for better traction, the ability to disable it on the fly via its wheel control map switching, isolated boost control (less shift bogging), optional no lift shift and 2step limiter, and that sort of stuff. I think the JB4 features appeal a lot to "enthusiast" types while the Cobb ease of install appeals a lot to those who would otherwise get a PPK, Dinan, GIAC, etc. The set it and forget it types. Once you get in to serious power levels you really want both a JB4 and a DME flash to have the best of both worlds.

Mike
Well said. Since mine is a DD and I'm not looking for anything too crazy for now, I'm going to be goign with Cobb soon. "Set it and forget it" as you say. Probably that and an intercooler (already have dci). Piggybacks are history in a lot of platforms but I don't see it going away soon on this one. Both great options depending on which way you want to go.
2010 E90 335i xdrive | Monaco Blue with Black Interior | All Packages except Sport :/ | Apex EC-7 | Active Autowerke Strut Bar | Roc Euro DCI | Roc Euro Hyperboost DVs | aFe Scoops | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0