F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Engine Adaptation....Diff HP?
proTUNING Freaks

06-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Engine Adaptation....Diff HP?

I hope this doesn't make me sound too novice...but, we all know that the BMW engines take a few miles to "learn" (adapt to) our driving style. Since I'm getting my N55 MPPK dynoed tomorrow, should I have driven it hard today so that it "learns" to lay down some aggressive hp? Or....am I being silly? Is the "learned" driving style merely shift points? I've heard guys say their car feels livelier the day after tracking it....but I've got a hard time believing it would actually change the hp output. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I hope this doesn't make me sound too novice...but, we all know that the BMW engines take a few miles to "learn" (adapt to) our driving style. Since I'm getting my N55 MPPK dynoed tomorrow, should I have driven it hard today so that it "learns" to lay down some aggressive hp? Or....am I being silly? Is the "learned" driving style merely shift points? I've heard guys say their car feels livelier the day after tracking it....but I've got a hard time believing it would actually change the hp output. Thoughts?
Im sure that the computer does cycle and adapt to our driving habits, but this is like an on/off switch. Even if you didnt drive it hard today to get the best hp numbers theoretically the car is still the same rather it puts down 303rwhp on current conditions, or 315rwhp because you beat the snot out of it. Its still gonna adapt to how youre driving and behave that way until you as the driver change your habits.

In the end I highly doubt youre going to see a difference in numbers rather you drove it mildly for tomorrows dyno run, or take it back 2 montsh after it was dogged. Im pretty sure the numbers will be identical pending on you using the same dyno. Its all going to depend on temperature as well.

Being its force fed the numbers are always going to vary...heat soak is the devil..
      06-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Im sure that the computer does cycle and adapt to our driving habits, but this is like an on/off switch. Even if you didnt drive it hard today to get the best hp numbers theoretically the car is still the same rather it puts down 303rwhp on current conditions, or 315rwhp because you beat the snot out of it. Its still gonna adapt to how youre driving and behave that way until you as the driver change your habits.

In the end I highly doubt youre going to see a difference in numbers rather you drove it mildly for tomorrows dyno run, or take it back 2 montsh after it was dogged. Im pretty sure the numbers will be identical pending on you using the same dyno. Its all going to depend on temperature as well.

Being its force fed the numbers are always going to vary...heat soak is the devil..
Thanks....so I should drive mildly on the way to the dyno as to not get the engine too "hot"? Dyno pull is at 9am...should be cool at that point.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Thanks....so I should drive mildly on the way to the dyno as to not get the engine too "hot"? Dyno pull is at 9am...should be cool at that point.
I wouldnt worry about driving it mildly, not matter how you drive it its still going to get to its normal operting temperatures. Best thing pre dyno is get there park it and let it sit for a few hours to let it cool back down. Im assuming that they dyno is at least 20-30 min from your inital start of trip.

What I use to do with my cobra was tow it in. But I had access to trucks and trailers. And my tuner was 2.5 hrs away so I really didnt feel like driving the car untuned that far. With my Twin screw supercahrger we use to throw ice in the intercooler reservoir. Insane how it made a difference. But thats for water to air intercoolers and heat exhcangers. Were air to air.

Post up your numbers for sure after its done.
      06-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
The Nerd
Major
Rep

^Will do.
Appreciate 0