E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Trunk mount... lines inside or out?

06-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Trunk mount... lines inside or out?

Switching over to a trunk mount this weekend and Im at the point where I need to figure out if I want to run the meth line inside the car or outside. I want the install to look clean and Im not worried about having to remove it quickly because Im out of warranty. I currently have a WW BMS kit and I bought the CM tank that also holds the pump. Besides the extra line and wire is there anything else i will need to complete the install? What/where do I secure the solenoid.....Thanks!
      06-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Out

Pull the under pan and you'll see the fuel line runs down the drivers side (LHD). You can mount the pump under the deck cover in the sump hole. Drill a hole big enough to put a rubber hose or grommet in and then push you power line, ground, and meth house through from the underside. Double check before drilling holes that you don't drill through something you shouldn't. Just off to the side on body under side of the car you'll found a nice ground point. zip the meth line and power to the fuel line and put the sub pan back on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

i didn't want to drill through the car, so i ran the lines through the cabin.

either way is 100% invisible.

i suppose running it under the car is safer
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I think I may go with the under car route... Im planning on running 100% meth and I would rather not have that in the car..
      06-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
taylors335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.00]
I run mine in , through the drivers side , under the door sill up under the dash and through a firewall grommet , stays cool and away from heat and road debris. if I had a stainless line kit I would run it underneath.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Mine is ran under the car along the fuel lines. I also wrapped the wiring/meth tubing with a high temperature sheathing. It also provides physical protection to the lines. Something like this works, and its cheap

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/38inc...bythefoot.aspx
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Under
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

under the car. there's a grommet in the trunk you can use.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylors335 View Post
I run mine in , through the drivers side , under the door sill up under the dash and through a firewall grommet , stays cool and away from heat and road debris. if I had a stainless line kit I would run it underneath.
What you might not have realized, you ran your meth line within a side impact crush zone. At least running it with the fuel line puts it above the sub pan and away from the crush zone. Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Out

Pull the under pan and you'll see the fuel line runs down the drivers side (LHD). You can mount the pump under the deck cover in the sump hole. Drill a hole big enough to put a rubber hose or grommet in and then push you power line, ground, and meth house through from the underside. Double check before drilling holes that you don't drill through something you shouldn't. Just off to the side on body under side of the car you'll found a nice ground point. zip the meth line and power to the fuel line and put the sub pan back on the car.
Agree with everything 100%.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Like others stated. Running outside along the car fuel line is a safe location. If there are leaks along the meth line, you won't get it inside the cabin area and subject yourself to the fumes in the event you do get a leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Run the outside of the car. No drilling required.

Zip tie where the fuel lines and or brake lines are. Away from heat and suspension components.

There is grommet in the trunk on the drivers side US cars under the amp for access.

There are no benefits to running inside the car, it's harder to do, involves removing a bunch of panels, opens up potential leak problems, kinks, and safety concerns.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Run the outside of the car. No drilling required.

Zip tie where the fuel lines and or brake lines are. Away from heat and suspension components.

There is grommet in the trunk on the drivers side US cars under the amp for access.

There are no benefits to running inside the car, it's harder to do, involves removing a bunch of panels, opens up potential leak problems, kinks, and safety concerns.
while the crush zone argument is definitely valid, the issues you listed are nonsense.

the only "panel" you open up is the trunk liner, which is secured by one bolt. leak problems will be the same as an exterior install (let's face it... unless you're installing poor quality lines, they're not going to split or crack), and kinks are only going to happen if you run the lines like a schmuck.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Mine is ran under the car along the fuel lines. I also wrapped the wiring/meth tubing with a high temperature sheathing. It also provides physical protection to the lines. Something like this works, and its cheap

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/38inc...bythefoot.aspx
Just ordered 25 feet! Thanks!
      06-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies! Im going to run it outside the car... I bought some high temp sleave to run the meth line through. Did everyone use the solenoid that came with BMS's kit or did you upgrade? Where should I mount the solenoid?
      06-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
Thanks for all the replies! Im going to run it outside the car... I bought some high temp sleave to run the meth line through. Did everyone use the solenoid that came with BMS's kit or did you upgrade? Where should I mount the solenoid?
Get with Rob1976. He just did his and it looks really good...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
while the crush zone argument is definitely valid, the issues you listed are nonsense.

the only "panel" you open up is the trunk liner, which is secured by one bolt. leak problems will be the same as an exterior install (let's face it... unless you're installing poor quality lines, they're not going to split or crack), and kinks are only going to happen if you run the lines like a schmuck.
I have to agree I went over this in my head a few times and still think running the lines on the inside is better . when have you ever seen a meth line leak/crack/break whatever other than at the fittings ?if anything running under car where they are subject to the element's would make them more likely to get brittle/crack ect..imho inside is the only way to go.
      06-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
I have to agree I went over this in my head a few times and still think running the lines on the inside is better . when have you ever seen a meth line leak/crack/break whatever other than at the fittings ?if anything running under car where they are subject to the element's would make them more likely to get brittle/crack ect..imho inside is the only way to go.
they ate covered by the elements when under the car and you don't have to use the steering grommet for a exit, bad idea.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Here is pics from my outside install , ran a braided ss fuel hose as guide and the meth line securely traced inside.

No drilling , I used the hole for vacuum for exhaust valve to run my meth line.
Attached Images

Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
Switching over to a trunk mount this weekend and Im at the point where I need to figure out if I want to run the meth line inside the car or outside. I want the install to look clean and Im not worried about having to remove it quickly because Im out of warranty. I currently have a WW BMS kit and I bought the CM tank that also holds the pump. Besides the extra line and wire is there anything else i will need to complete the install? What/where do I secure the solenoid.....Thanks!
Do it correctly, and run the lines under the car. There were cases where methanol lines cracked and you don't want this to happen inside the car.

There is only one hole needed in a plastic piece (which can be replaced if you later really don't want that hole), so it's not really a problem.

Even if you run the lines from inside the car, you still have to poke a rubber grommet under the dash to get access to the engine bay, so...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Im calling bs on everyone saying do this right run them outside the car please name me one person who has had a meth line crack running it inside the car and I will shut my mouth . I will bet money its never happened.......
      06-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

So , just for fun , lets say you crash with your car , you get some heavy damage to chassi and meth line is broken , pump is still running and meth is pumping away where the line is broken.

Do you want this to happen inside the car or outside?

Comon , its common sense :P
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0