E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Questions about the 330i's differential

12-03-2005, 01:43 AM   #1
stokedxiv
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW 330i

Questions about the 330i's differential

I have a 330i, Automatic, Premium package, and I just got past the break in period. The other night it was raining so I turned off the traction control and stability management and was sliding the car around a bit in an empty lot. I noticed however that it seemed like the car has an open differential? I would assume that it would have some kind of limited slip, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Seemed like unless I really flicked the car sideways I would just get spinning of the inside rear wheel... which leads me to believe that the diff is open.

Anyway, what type of diff do I have in my car? And is there anyone who makes a nice 1.5way I could buy? Does the e90 sports package include a different differential?

Thanks guys
Charlie
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedxiv
I have a 330i, Automatic, Premium package, and I just got past the break in period. The other night it was raining so I turned off the traction control and stability management and was sliding the car around a bit in an empty lot. I noticed however that it seemed like the car has an open differential? I would assume that it would have some kind of limited slip, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Seemed like unless I really flicked the car sideways I would just get spinning of the inside rear wheel... which leads me to believe that the diff is open.

Anyway, what type of diff do I have in my car? And is there anyone who makes a nice 1.5way I could buy? Does the e90 sports package include a different differential?

Thanks guys
Charlie
Nope, no OEM LSD for E90 whatsoever and that's that. Don't know about aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

The only BMWīs that come with a LSD from the factory these days are the M-cars. (M3, M5, M6, Z4M etc.)
      12-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
Sho
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6-speed

We do have an open diff on our E90's.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #5
stokedxiv
Rep

Damn, you'd think that for $40K+ you'd get an LSD

I'll have to look for some options
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedxiv
Damn, you'd think that for $40K+ you'd get an LSD
Why?

Most people who spend 40k on a luxury sedan donīt go around burning rubber. So a LSD would be wasted on them. Actually the carīs handling is more benign without it, the fuel consuption is (very slightly) less, it is cheaper and lighter without it and so on.

There are only 2 reasons to have a LSD on a car:

1. Serious performance driving
- For someone into such BMW offers the M car(s).

2. Traction on slippery surfaces
- For traction on slippery surfaces the E90 will simulate (at low speeds) a LSD by braking a slipping wheel thus transfering power to the wheel with traction if you turn the DSC into DTC mode. Itīs not as good as a LSD, but itīll get you moving. And itīs just a line of software in the DSC instead of heavy machinery. Thatīs why nowadays even off-road vehicles (except for the hardcore versions) mostly donīt have LSDs anymore but software with brake appliance instead.

Driving a non-M BMW with such verve that you would miss a LSD puts you into a very small niche, so itīs understandable that BMW would not cater to you. Thatīs what the aftermarket is there for.

Besides, didnīt you say you drive an auto? That puts you even more in a niche. Trying to drift an auto...
      12-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
stokedxiv
Rep

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that most people will never know the difference if their car has no LSD. However I think there should at least be the option of one, maybe we'll get that once the M version is released and we can swap some parts.

And yea yea, I know trying to drift an auto The E90 is just my daily driver, if I want to do some serious driving I pull out my FD RX-7, it's got an LSD along with some other toys
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
wannabmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 325xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
2. Traction on slippery surfaces
- For traction on slippery surfaces the E90 will simulate (at low speeds) a LSD by braking a slipping wheel thus transfering power to the wheel with traction if you turn the DSC into DTC mode. Itīs not as good as a LSD, but itīll get you moving. And itīs just a line of software in the DSC instead of heavy machinery.
I have several questions about the DSC system on a vehicle with xDrive:

1. It appears xDrive transfers power front/rear, not left/right other than by applying brakes (as you wrote). What happens when one front tire looses traction, won't the car pull if the brake is applied to the slipping wheel? This seems like a good time to open the xDrive clutch and stop sending power to the front. What if the driver wants to brake at the same time a front wheel is spinning? What if the driver downshifts and induces one of the front wheels to slip? When a rear tire spins, without LSD the power should transfer to the front wheels, right? What does the DSC do when both wheels on the same side spin?

2. How does an xDrive car handle when the DTC is turned off?

3. Under what conditions does the engine power get cut?

4. You mentioned DTC modes, I only know of on and off, are there are other selectable modes?

5. Can I switch to staggered tires (larger tires in the rear) without confusing the DSC and ABS? What effect does staggered tires have on xDrive power split to the front wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Mono
Private
Rep
Drives: car

Lexus IS does not have an LSD either. Not even in their sport package.

G35 offers one with the sport package for sedan and coupe regardless of transmission choice.

I think the sport package on the E90 should come with one. The people who opt for this package are the buyers that want more performance from the their E90. That's why they are willing to pay more for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono
I think the sport package on the E90 should come with one. The people who opt for this package are the buyers that want more performance from the their E90. That's why they are willing to pay more for it.
It is insane for BMW not to offer a limited slip diff as an option any longer and only provide one on M-cars. On my 1985 535i it was a $395 option, and I think it was close to that price on my 1988 735i. At least you could order a car with one in the old days. Now you have to fork out $2500 or more in the aftermarket once you get the car. BMW could probably make a decent profit adding an LSD as an option for $995. Oh well...it was one of the factors that added to the value of the M5 to me compared to the 540i.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #11
3m52
in the shadows now.
Rep
Drives: 323

http://www.diffsonline.com/product/customdiff2.htm
      10-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #12
Coyot
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Limted Slip Differentials in e90/92

I' m told by local BMW people in Greece that typical mechanical LSDs will not cooperate either smoothly or efficiently with the car's DTC/DSC (which already functions as "passive LSD"), and may cause excessive brake wear or even get damaged themselves on the long run.

BMW "M" differentials on the other hand, which do have a variable torque bias, are electronically controlled by the M cars' respective Engine Control Units, so they are not an option for ordinary E90/92s.

It seems (please, correct me if I am wrong) that only torque-sensitive LSDs such as the "Automatic Torque Biasing" ones produced by QUAIFE can work successfully in cars with BMW's newest DTC/DSC.
However, an ATB for E90/92 is not offered "off-the-shelf" by Quaife right now. They need a group order of at least 10-12 pieces for whatever they haven't already produced.

I'm an absolute newbie and not familiar with the forum's policies in similar matters, but I suggest it might be a good idea to seek information from Quaife, as a Forum. I guess we could get a more substantial response from them than as individuals.
Appreciate 0