F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 jb4 stage 2 honest review..
Extreme Powerhouse

07-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

N20 jb4 stage 2 honest review..

Hey guys I just installed a jb4 stage 2 on my n20 328i. I got it from mike@n54tuning! He's a great guy I recommend anyone to buy from him! He's helped me out on good deals and great customer service from my old 335i and this 328i I just bought.

Anyways

Installation was easy. Took me about 10 mins. The DIY guide from the stage 2 and the jb4 install can be found easily on burger motorsports and the this forum.

First ride. Well maybe I was expecting much much more out of this. I started the car up after installation and let it idle. Made sure there's no lights or odd noises. Then went for a ride. Let the car warm up past 160°, after that I tried it in comfort (I never use) to see how the difference is. It was a little snappier and throttle response wasn't great improved but it was a bit better.. Then I switched to sport-plus. Everyone that gave they're review on stage 1 wrote how the car is "on crack" in sport mode or its a huge difference from stage 1 blah blah.. I don't know. Anyways, the car is a bit faster, the big difference is when you get into higher rpms. Better when over taking cars or highway speeds. The tires smoked up with a little less effort and stuff like that..
Overall I was very very unimpressed by this. I remember the days when I put a jb4 in my 335i and the difference was unbelievable. Of course they are two different beasts but still. This sucks lol. Maybe it's me and Im used to much faster cars (e60 M5 & fbo+meth jb4 g5 335i) but this car just got boring after a month. I bought this jb stage 2 to kind of save me from trading this car in and getting a 335i or a new s4 for a daily driver.. It's not help

-Worth $500+ for the jb4 and stage 2 upgrade? No

-Is it faster than before? Yes

I don't want to bash anyone or burger motorsports because I always use their products but just not happy. Also the 0-60 is no where to 4.9 like they advertise. That must be on some sticky tires and down hill haha

Anyways you guys have a great Sunday! Watch dexter! Haha

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
Hey guys I just installed a jb4 stage 2 on my n20 328i. I got it from mike@n54tuning! He's a great guy I recommend anyone to buy from him! He's helped me out on good deals and great customer service from my old 335i and this 328i I just bought.

Anyways

Installation was easy. Took me about 10 mins. The DIY guide from the stage 2 and the jb4 install can be found easily on burger motorsports and the this forum.

First ride. Well maybe I was expecting much much more out of this. I started the car up after installation and let it idle. Made sure there's no lights or odd noises. Then went for a ride. Let the car warm up past 160°, after that I tried it in comfort (I never use) to see how the difference is. It was a little snappier and throttle response wasn't great improved but it was a bit better.. Then I switched to sport-plus. Everyone that gave they're review on stage 1 wrote how the car is "on crack" in sport mode or its a huge difference from stage 1 blah blah.. I don't know. Anyways, the car is a bit faster, the big difference is when you get into higher rpms. Better when over taking cars or highway speeds. The tires smoked up with a little less effort and stuff like that..
Overall I was very very unimpressed by this. I remember the days when I put a jb4 in my 335i and the difference was unbelievable. Of course they are two different beasts but still. This sucks lol. Maybe it's me and Im used to much faster cars (e60 M5 & fbo+meth jb4 g5 335i) but this car just got boring after a month. I bought this jb stage 2 to kind of save me from trading this car in and getting a 335i or a new s4 for a daily driver.. It's not help

I don't want to bash anyone or burger motorsports because I always use their products but just not happy. Also the 0-60 is no where to 4.9 like they advertise. That must be on some sticky tires and down hill haha

What map, fuel and psi were you running, that is a very big insight to what you may have felt.

If you were on a more aggressive map, the right fuel and the right PSI, then hearing this review is a bit of a downer.

But if you weren't and maybe just ran it as stage 1 standard +3psi, then maybe it's good news because there is more power waiting for you lol.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
QQ
JB4 King
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 125i MSPORT F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
What map, fuel and psi were you running, that is a very big insight to what you may have felt.

If you were on a more aggressive map, the right fuel and the right PSI, then hearing this review is a bit of a downer.

But if you weren't and maybe just ran it as stage 1 standard +3psi, then maybe it's good news because there is more power waiting for you lol.
Guys...... the JB4 stage 2 is awesome to say the least. I managed to tap 239.7kw and 508nm out of my otherwise standard 125i, that has quoted factory figures of 160kw and 310nm.

I used map 7 with the flex fuel wires and fuel open loop set at 70. I used the 50/50 E85 fuel mix and achieved these figures. See attached Dyno Graph:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:

Anyways

Have you plugged a laptop to your module and logged some stuff? Personally for me, the stage 2 got slightly better after a few days after installation for the ecu to adapt.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
aspang86
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

I can understand e92ben's case. Guys he is running the correct tuning file; reading his post tells me he's done his homework. The problem your facing is engine displacement. My last car was a V8 pushing 330whp and 350ft/tq. Now my 2012 320i is apparently pushing 220whp and 250 ft/lbs with the bms stage 1 @ 4psi of boost. I believe it but its not as noticeable when i had my stock V8.

What i am trying to say is that you went from one of the best V6's engines around to a small disp. Turbo engine. No matter what anyone says on this forum site, displacement always dominates turbos (obviously when making the same power numbers from both set up's). If you take your 300hp 335i and put it against the 328i with bms 2, i can tell you that the 335i would be a better car to drive.

Would the 328i keep up? Most likely it would however like you mentioned the fun factor is gone. No matter the tuning or work done on our engines, it will never feel as good as a N/A engine. Also you have to remember that your driving a 4 cyl.!

The best advice i can give you is to trade in for a 335i. Don't waste your money because I know from my own experience that it's impossible to ever get our cars at the same performance as the 335. People are going to trash this comment but thats because they've never really pushed their cars capabilities.

There's 2 things that cause this problem:

- closed fuel loop system. Its harder to really dial in these cars with pump fuel.

- single turbo. Now all performance cars have 2 turbos. A small dia. To spool up the engine quickly & a larger dia. Turbo for power. If they did this sort of set up on our cars, the 335 would be in big trouble.

BMW did this on purpose to separate its power house engines with its super sporty 4 cyl. Turbo engines that deliver fuel economy.

Overall the N20 is the worlds best 4 cyl. Engine. Are there better set up's available? Absolutely. Thats why BMW keeps the 335i available; drivers such as yourself desire that different feeling performance.

Good luck with your future endeavours.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

I think the difference here between the N54 stage 2 and the N20 stage 2 is that the difference from stock is like 100hp for n54 and 50 hp for the n20.

So coming from your fbo n54 that gained 100hp just from a tuen comparing to now which is a 50hp increase that the n20 s2 gave you felt a little "underwhelming"
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
I think the difference here between the N54 stage 2 and the N20 stage 2 is that the difference from stock is like 100hp for n54 and 50 hp for the n20.

So coming from your fbo n54 that gained 100hp just from a tuen comparing to now which is a 50hp increase that the n20 s2 gave you felt a little "underwhelming"
According to QQ, he gained like 75whp.

If the only evidence of the effectiveness of stage 2 was BMS themselves, I would instantly be a bit dismissive but I have seen results from people like QQ that rave about the results.

I no longer have ANY tune in my car, let alone BMS. I am stepping out and stepping back in later this year or early next. My hope that is that I have something better-so far that still means stage 2 when its OUT of beta and they have the electronic boost solenoid figured out.

But if stage 2 is not where it's at, I'll go for something else.

So if e92Ben has an accurate experience that is more common than QQs, well sounds like more work needs to be done. But if e92Ben is in the minority, maybe there is power left on the table for his setup, hence why I asked the questions.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I no longer have ANY tune in my car, let alone BMS. I am stepping out and stepping back in later this year or early next. My hope that is that I have something better-so far that still means stage 2 when its OUT of beta and they have the electronic boost solenoid figured out.
I'm very happy staying put with Stage 1. I agree with you about Stage 2. Not interested until all the beta testing is complete and the electronic boost solenoid figured out.

Why did you opt out of Stage 1?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
I'm very happy staying put with Stage 1. I agree with you about Stage 2. Not interested until all the beta testing is complete and the electronic boost solenoid figured out.

Why did you opt out of Stage 1?
Mainly timing.

I am really not driving the F30 right now. I campaign the E36/7 until October.

BUT, the E36/7 is on borrowed time with that stock/original headgasket, 79k and battling 13psi. The temp gauge touched RED for the first time last week. I have cams, ARP head hardware and the worlds most expensive headgasket, just needed the install money. I did not want to touch savings as that way the wife can never complain about the two car hobby.

So I take the tune from the car I have not driven in two weeks and sell it to pay for the car I LOVE and get it right so I can enjoy it for the rest of the year.

I also kept reading things I liked about the Stage 2 and with it still in Beta and still not have perfected electronic boost solenoid control, I saw no point in having me wait around-sell the stage 1 and when stage 2 is right, it should time out to around when the E36/7 is put away for the year.

It made sense in my world lol.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
metrathon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

There are a few inconsistencies that worry me. On this Dyno http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775150 the gain is ~ 30whp. But on this one http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817726, the gain is ~ 24whp. That is a 20% difference. Pretty big in my book.

At the end of the day, it seems on 91 gas you're getting ~ 35whp and ~ 60 lb-ft for $550. I would say it's not a bad deal, though numbers don't matter. All that matters is your butt Dyno.

I'll order Stage 2 and see how it feels. If I'm not satisfied, I'll just send it back and get a 255hp / 415 lb-ft 2014 535d
Past affairs: 2014 Lexus RX 350 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li | 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
metrathon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Another thing is, they clearly state that Stage 2 gains are smaller than Stage 1. So not sure what were you expecting
Past affairs: 2014 Lexus RX 350 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li | 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Have you done the FlexFuel wires? I just installed them and the torque bump is wonderful. It really pulls now.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I'm more interested in your fbo+meth m5. Do you have a link to your build!??

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Anyways

The Stage2 is BETA meaning expect lots of software updates as they go. I know the electric wastegate programming is not up to full strength but the pneumatic solenoid Stage2 tuning should be a night and day upgrade over stock and Stage1. Maybe capture a data log and shoot it over to BMS for tuning advice.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
SmokeShank
Rep
Drives: 328xi M-Sport

i went from stage 1 +3psi to stage two map two. I didnt notice a difference.

Im running an 8speed n26. BMS stated the power would be between an stage 1 and stage 2 (n20 specs). n26 cant reach full stage 2 power.

I was disappointed when I saw someone post with an N26 stating that the difference going from stage 1 to stage 2 was as big as stock to stage 1.

Im running 93 octane. I have the flex fuel wiring but havent installed until I can read more. I was a little confused by the flex fuel install guide on the N55. Hopefully someone posts a guide using an n20/n26.

E85 is 2.50 around me, so a 50/50 mix of 93/e85 is what I'm planning
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShank View Post
i went from stage 1 +3psi to stage two map two. I didnt notice a difference.

Im running an 8speed n26. BMS stated the power would be between an stage 1 and stage 2 (n20 specs). n26 cant reach full stage 2 power.

I was disappointed when I saw someone post with an N26 stating that the difference going from stage 1 to stage 2 was as big as stock to stage 1.

Im running 93 octane. I have the flex fuel wiring but havent installed until I can read more. I was a little confused by the flex fuel install guide on the N55. Hopefully someone posts a guide using an n20/n26.

E85 is 2.50 around me, so a 50/50 mix of 93/e85 is what I'm planning
There is a huge difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 E85 mix. I didn't notice any difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 except that I could switch maps from inside the car. The difference between Map 0 (Stock) and Map 7 (E85) is undeniable. BMS was claiming like a 8 hp difference between S1 and S2 on 93 octane, so you shouldn't even notice it. If you need help with the flex fuel guide PM me with your questions, I just did it the other night and it was easy but more complicated than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben

Anyways

Thank for sharing.
      07-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
It was perhaps my post. My bad. Crappy tires had led me to wrong judgement as they spun all the time. Now I got good tires(michelin PSS), and tested stage 2 again on my N26.

For now, the answer is no; the difference between stage1 and 2 is not as big as between stock and stage 1. Even with map 7(w/ flex fuel wire + 50% e85 mix), even though I could feel more power, there was no substantial gain in the car's speed(i.e. 0-60 time) over stage 1.

However, I am pretty optimistic that when it gets control over the electronic wastegate, the answer would turn to yes(with maybe map2/surely map7). We will see, or we could hope getting more comments from N20 users running with map7.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by godnamnit View Post
It was perhaps my post. My bad. Crappy tires had led me to wrong judgement as they spun all the time. Now I got good tires(michelin PSS), and tested stage 2 again on my N26.

For now, the answer is no; the difference between stage1 and 2 is not as big as between stock and stage 1. Even with map 7(w/ flex fuel wire + 50% e85 mix), even though I could feel more power, there was no substantial gain in the car's speed(i.e. 0-60 time) over stage 1.

However, I am pretty optimistic that when it gets control over the electronic wastegate, the answer would turn to yes(with maybe map2/surely map7). We will see, or we could hope getting more comments from N20 users running with map7.
When 0-60 times are already around 4-5 seconds, power isn't going to change it much. See how your 0-100 time has changed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
SmokeShank
Rep
Drives: 328xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
There is a huge difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 E85 mix. I didn't notice any difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 except that I could switch maps from inside the car. The difference between Map 0 (Stock) and Map 7 (E85) is undeniable. BMS was claiming like a 8 hp difference between S1 and S2 on 93 octane, so you shouldn't even notice it. If you need help with the flex fuel guide PM me with your questions, I just did it the other night and it was easy but more complicated than I thought.
Did you use the N55 guide?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you use the N55 guide?
Yeah, but the last connector is really hard to find and the pic doesn't help at all. It's under the engine cover, kind of in the middle but towards the windshield. It was a bitch to get off......
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #22
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

The connecter is located under the foam under the engine cover. Here's the pic.
Appreciate 0