F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Replacing brake disks
Studio RSR

07-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Grale
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i MSport F30

Replacing brake disks

Ok my 320i xdrive msport has had an issue with grinding/squealing/squeaking brakes from day 1.

It had done 5500 miles and the salesman said give it a few weeks to bed in as rust may be the issue because it was stood for a month. Ok i thought that makes sense.
But four months later no change... well worse actually. Took it back to my local BMW garage (not from where purchased) and they said they had never seen such badly rusted brakes on a new car, and they would need disks and pads replacing. But they sent me back to Huddersfield from where i bought the car because their system wouldn't allow the replacement!

Ok so now they have agreed at Huddersfield that all of the discs need replacing. From the mumbling and gibberish the mechanic said i gathered the discs have a high spot/warped. But when i asked you are also replacing the pads right? he said no the pads are fine!

Now as far as i can remember from all of my past experience, you should replace disks and pads together, never just one or the other.

I am planning on ringging and insisting that they also replace the pads as i'm sure if the discs are damaged then surely the pads will replicate the damage/high spots on the pads?

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
PA11L JJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d LCI M Sport

Your 100% right. I had the same issue with my M3, it had been sat for 3 months while I was abroad through the last winter and my discs had rusted badly and warped. The service manager at my dealership said I would need pads all round as well as new discs as the warped disc's will have damaged them (I tried for a couple of weeks to see if I could clear the rust with some heavy breaking but it was no use). They had only done a couple of thousand miles as well (the pads only).

I'd accept nothing less than the pads as well as the disc's replacing.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
f1swk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

they are always fast at replacing them when its out of warranty