F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Arrived!
Extreme Powerhouse

07-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Arrived!

So, my F31 arrived on Wednesday.

Just to recap, 330d MSport, media package pro, EBII, 403 19s, adaptive suspension, MSport brakes, black Dakota, aluminium hexagon, visibility package, active security package, interior comfort package, advanced parking package, surround parking, Harmon Kardon, head up display, enhanced Bluetooth, folding autodimming mirrors, sun protection glass, lumbar support, seat heating front and rear, active cruise control, comfort access, variable sport steering.

I've had it for just two days, most of which I was working, so not had the chance to drive it much, but here are some general reflections. The ride quality is unbelievable - really didn't expect that. It's sufficiently good in sport mode as well so would happily leave it on that, but for the higher revving engine. Refinement is superb. The engine is extremely muffled, but gives a beautiful tenor warble when pushing on. This is the first diesel I've driven where the sound of the engine adds to the enjoyment rather than detracting from it. I am glad I got this instead of the 320d that I test drove. Admittedly this was a very fine car, but I thought the engine sound was just plain wrong! This is a personal matter of course - it's the kind of thing bothers me.

Handling: well, I think I need to build a bit more confidence before really testing the handling. The car is very, very different from anything I've driven before in every respect and tbh I have this slight nervousness when pushing it hard on the twisties. I am sure this is me and not the car. Nevertheless, the chassis shows every sign of being highly chuckable and surefooted. This is particularly so in sport mode, but comfort seems pretty good too. It's funny - and you won't expect this - the best handling car (subjectively speaking) I have ever driven was a Renault Megane. I had such an intuitive feel for what the chassis could do that I could throw it into any corner and just know it would flow through, carrying its momentum in a way that was sympathetic to my every intention. It was a joy. I've never found a car since that - to my mind - matches its sheer fluidity. I feel sure that this was less to do with the car itself and more to do with the fact that I just knew it so well. Hopefully - since this is the main reason I went down the BMW route - I'll develop the same sense of sympathy with the 330d over time, that it equals or betters my previous experiences. Not quite there yet.

Performance: it is OMG fast. The kick in the back you get when accelerating is almost shocking. Yes, objectively it only has 260 bhp and you can get faster cars for less money, but a diesel will always feel faster than an equivalently powered petrol because you don't need the upper reaches of the rev range to access the power. The car has this almost effortless way of building speed - and such is the refinement that you hardly notice. One thing that is worse than I expected: turbo lag! Strange as I'd never seen this mentioned in any review. Of course the turbo is always the major factor in any powerful diesel's performance but this was more than I expected. You put your foot down and it's a good half second before the power comes on stream. This is not a car that will allow you to experience the joy of flicking your way around a bendy b road with instantaneous acceleration in the exit to every corner. I guess you need a manual petrol for that.

Harmon Kardon: still getting used to it but have to admit that it has failed to live up to my expectations so far. I am an audiophile and use a high-end hifi system at home. This means I notice - and am bothered by - the difference in sound quality between a system that is superb and one that is merely very good. More pertinently, it is definitely not as good as the Bose system I used to have in my Audi A4. Perhaps it will loosen up over time. To these ears the sound lacks transparency, punch and clarity, while the bass is quite loose. I do not regret the HK option by any means - given how much better people say it is than the standard BMW option.

Other factors to note: rear space is superb for a 3 series. With 3 kids, (2 teenagers) in tow this is an important factor.

Overall, I'd say it's by far the best car I've driven and feel sure it will get even better as it loosens up, and I grow more familiar with it.
Attached Images

Last edited by bwrlane; 07-13-2013 at 05:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
PA11L JJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d LCI M Sport

Looks fantastic and great spec, hope you enjoy it and the HK loosens up!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I must admit to be not yet convinced about HK, I have the F31 and suspect that the roof speakers are part of the problem as well as the location of the subs. My X5,which only had the business system actually sounded more impressive, partly i suspect because the larger cabin and shape were better from a sound point of view. Will see what a bit of tweaking with the equaliser does.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Great review and agree with the ride quality. It is superb. I got mine Wednesday week and think its the best car I've ever owned.

Also agree on hk. I had Bose on an Audi s3 and loved it but when I tried a bmw with it, I thought I'd leave it off.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Looks stunning!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

Interesting, the best factory stereo I had was HK in an e60. Better than the B&Osystem in the A4 I had. I too have a mega high-end system at home.
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT

Last edited by browellm; 07-13-2013 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: B&O, not Bose
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

First off, no car sound system will sound as good as a dedicated set-up at home. The speakers will loosen up over time and the sound does seem to improve; the biggest recommendation I can make is turn off the L7 processing and tweak the EQ (slightly) whilst laying a piece of music you know really well.

I had HK in my E90 and the F30 version is different, and improves in certain areas. I had the new Black Edition A4 on loan and the B&O system was well below HK IMO. To be fair, I preferred the Bose system in the Audi to the B&O when listening in a friends car.

Anyhow, enjoy the car...it's a stunner!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
pferdestarke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320D M-Sport

Surely one of the best specified 3's on here?

In regards to the handling - keep at it. You will realise that the car's capabilities far outweigh your perception of how it handles.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
AN03REW
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Nice motor you have! Cant agree with you about the turbo. Unless you mean in eco pro or In the wrong gear to start with. I find my 330d very responsive. I know what you mean about taking a minute to get used to handling. I think you have to start turning into corner in plenty of time because if you dont you seem to be half way round the corner with the car not where you want it to be and you cant seem to get the corners flowing together. Maybe just me but def had to change driving style abit. Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Beautiful car. Enjoy. However, audiophile and BOSE do NOT belong in the same paragraph.

I know what you mean with the HK system.....Harman International is a sellout and will whore their name out for cheap. You'll want to check the forums and do some EQ customizations. Also turn off L7, its goofy.

I wish we could get the sun protection glass in the US. However for it to be useful it needs to also tint the front passenger windows....I know we don't get this option because every State has their own tinting laws, some are loose and others are nutty.
      07-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #11
Buttons
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Interesting comments about the HK.
From your experience, do these systems need to be 'run in'?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #12
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I wonder if the experience differs between the saloon and touring as some the speakers on the touring are in the rear roof rather than parcel shelf. It would also seem that the subs are no longer under the seats.

What domestic HiFi have you guys with "Mega" systems got.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
I wonder if the experience differs between the saloon and touring as some the speakers on the touring are in the rear roof rather than parcel shelf. It would also seem that the subs are no longer under the seats.

What domestic HiFi have you guys with "Mega" systems got.
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by browellm View Post
Nice! Mine's not as good as that.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
Good point. Seems subs are still under seats. The change for the rear shelf speakers to be be moved to the roof may have been a compromise.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...51&hg=65&fg=20
      07-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Am pleased to say that I'm rather getting the hang of this car now and it feels much more fluid and accomplished than my initial impression. I knew my first impressions had to be about me rather than the car, as BMWs have always been defined by their handling ability and by all accounts this 3 is a goody.

It takes a while before you get a feel for a car's natural rhythms. This dictates your placement and lines through corners, your entry and exit speeds, your braking points and when you put the power down. It's all about getting the momentum and flow exactly right, to the point that you feel you and your car are working in harmony. No two types of car are the same in this regard and what works with one does not work with another.

One of my main worries/disappointments was the lag between when you put your foot down and when the power comes on stream. It hugely reduces the reward of driving if you can't just nail it on the exit. The easy solution of course is just to flick the left paddle down a couple of notches, allowing you the right revs as you pull away from the apex. Previously I'd assumed this wouldn't work if the car was in automatic mode, but of course it does.

As for the HK, ok I'll wait for it to run in a bit. It's not like it's bad or anything, but the base just seems loose, heavy and wobbly. I don't mind a bit of warmth in the base but it must have definition and clarity. I don't think this will improve with time as it's just a characteristic of the system. It's a marked and slightly disappointing contrast with the Bose system I had in my Audi, where the base was super tight and well defined.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #17
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN03REW View Post
Nice motor you have! Cant agree with you about the turbo. Unless you mean in eco pro or In the wrong gear to start with. I find my 330d very responsive.
I agree with you totally on this point. Once the engine has warmed up and in 'sport mode' the reaction is instant, if not neck snapping. In 'comfort mode' there is definitely too much lag, as the turbo spools up. Its caught me out a few times. So it's now 'sports mode' for junctions.
      07-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Blimey...so the HK option probably costs somewhere around what you'd pay for a cartridge... Even with the law of diminishing returns, it never stands a chance!

Love the look of that system never mind what it would sound like
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
Blimey...so the HK option probably costs somewhere around what you'd pay for a cartridge... Even with the law of diminishing returns, it never stands a chance!

Love the look of that system never mind what it would sound like
HK cost 1/5th of my cartidge. I need help
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
HK cost 1/5th of my cartidge. I need help
You are beyond help; you can only ask for forgiveness...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #21
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Very nice, hope you have enjoyed your time with the car!
Appreciate 0