E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > help on Ways to get the updated software for NAVI

10-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
vu
vucorp & sons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

help on Ways to get the updated software for NAVI

hey guys. i got my e90 in Nov 05. never had any software upgrades, i know there been many software upgrades and what not. i know the newest ones will change and speed up the Navi, mine is pretty slow at times, and recently it's been rejected my NAVI disk, saying "insert DVD" when the NAV DVD is already in the drive. but its been working as of now.

my service indicator light just came on for the "Brake Fluid" service
(i have 42,xxx miles on the car) and i figured now might be a good time to get some issues settled. i know there is a NEW SIB (prog 27?) that calls out the NAVI software upgrade only on a customer complaint basis. now i dunno how everyone else in America are getting their "free" software upgrade, but seems like all the San Diego Dealers are asshats about this upgrade, i mention this in the past when bringing in my car but they all state that there is no new software upgrade (even though there are SIBs)...

sooo, to make this short.. how the heck do i get this software upgrade? since i'll be bringing in the car ftr the Brake Fluid service, i might as well try to get the latest software (so my NAVI can be a bit faster) as well as address the driver side door handle is "peeling" issues i seen on the forum that was easily taken care of elsewhere with dealers.. but seems like SD dealers are asshats when it comes to this junk.

any ideas or help on ways i can approach to have these issues taken care of on the dealers dime and not mine? any help would be appreciated.. lookin to schedule an appointment for the service later this week. thx
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Good luck, my dealer is AWESOME, yet, when I asked her to have them make sure the navi software was up to date, she said they checked it and it was fine, but it wasnt at all...

I burned and loaded the latest software with help from the X5 world form's navigation forum. I'm not sure if there is much stuff in there on the newer navigation system, but if your dealer doesnt do it for you, you might check it out. I'm not famaliar with the new systems, but once I got the disc. burned it took me all of 5 minutes to load in the latest software in my MK IV 16:9 system. Then a few more to figure out how to activate the hidden "perspective" mode...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
vu
vucorp & sons
United_States
Rep

thx for the quick reply.. i know that on the e46s and the other older bmws you can do the simple software upgrade as you mention, but with this iDrive crap.. its a bit more involved (from what i read)

i just want to make sure when i get in for the service i got some "ammo" so when i do mention the software upgrade i have some back up... i'm gonna go try some of the "problems" other members has with my car, too see if i can duplicate that.. since i think bmw sevice would want to see the problem duplicated.. so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Set your assist window to one of the map views while navigation is on. If the assist window does not automatically change to the "arrow" display as it guides you to your destination, you can get the software update. Just tell them that you don't get the direction pop-ups on your navigation and they will be required to give you one of the later updates.

There are probably other complaints you can use, but I have seen that documented here on the forum (and it worked for me in getting an update not too long ago).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
smog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
Set your assist window to one of the map views while navigation is on. If the assist window does not automatically change to the "arrow" display as it guides you to your destination, you can get the software update. Just tell them that you don't get the direction pop-ups on your navigation and they will be required to give you one of the later updates.
hey you're right, that little screen is blanked out (but you can still set it to arrow manually ) since i'll be going in for service soon, this is good to know.

also, what is the highest version of Progman i can upgrade to on an E90?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vu View Post
i know the newest ones will change and speed up the Navi, mine is pretty slow at times
Change the nav, yes. Speed it up, no.

Despite others' experiences of their iDrive being faster with the new colors and all, mine is still the same as before the update (I used to have v21, upgraded to v26 a few months ago). To be fair, mine was never that sluggish to begin with.

The best new feature is the search function. That, and my MP3 CDs are now working correctly, the lawyer screen goes away by itself, the CD no longer "continues to play" after the car is shut off, and a host of other small things. Overall, I'm happy with v26. Best of luck with your update.
      10-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
vu
vucorp & sons
United_States
Rep

hey guys. finally got my car back from the dealership. they updated my software to SI bulletin#65-03-07. i dunno if that is the new Prog 27 or not. any clues?

the fonts and colour did change on the iDrive screen as so as the rearranging of the submenus like car settings and stuff. i still notice the "click" to accept disclousre at first start up. voice regonition works.. saw an option for POI but havent cheked it out yet, to see if it works.

so any ideas what this SIB #65-03-07 is about? the latest SIB that i printed out was SIB #65-03-05

wonder what the difference is?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
smog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

where can we get a copy of SIB #65-03-07? i wanna get a printout ready so i'll have some ammo going into the dealership next month.
Appreciate 0