E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Android Double Din Setup

08-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
niqhtridaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: jet black e90

Android Double Din Setup

Anyone have an Android Double din setup in their car? a reputable head unit with the android functionalities? I heard about Parrot Asteroid Smart anyone have it? I know there are a lot on Ebay.. but which are most reputable

Thanks.

2006 330i e90
-black, manual transmission, beige, sports package, 15% tint 35% front tint
1998 civic ek9

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

I want to bring this back up and see if there are any new opinions. As far as I'm concerned, if I were to fully replace my Professional radio with any other head unit, it'd HAVE to run android, and so far it seems the Asteroid Smart is (despite running on Android 2.3) the only supported, clean option that won't get me stuck with a $450 brick from Ebay two years down the road. If anyone in SoCal has one, I'd love to talk to you next time there's a meet or anything.

As for other android options, I tried to do a semi-permanent Nexus 7 install a while back, which was simultaneously good and bad. On the one hand, a 7" screen is much nicer for maps than my iPhone on a dash mount. Sound worked nicely with an external DAC, add a USB hub and everything's neatly tucked away with only one wire coming out. External USB 3G stick and I have freedompop internet access, though for the $20/mo I sort of HAD to spend (used >> 500mb/mo on streaming music), i'd be better off upping my iPhone data plan to include tethering and just using that.

The downsides: No steering controls, either via the Pro headunit (since it doesn't integrate via USB with android), nor directly (I'd have to get an external adapter). Slow internet connection bootup: This'd be solved by tethering, but when the car powers on, the FreedomPop stick takes like 30s to connect. It's not a TON of time, but 30s is a long time to wait to get your tunes rockin'. Power was an issue too - after the multiple feet of USB cables between the power and the Nexus, there was too much resistance and the Nexus wouldn't charge at full tilt (2A). It'd slowly run down the battery, and I'd have to bring it inside every other day for supplemental charge. Forget about trips with constant GPS and screen on.

At the end of the day, with all the inconveniences, it was just easier to pull my phone out of my pocket and plug it in each time I got in the car, which is a real bummer.

I'll probably try to make another go of it, though, adding tethering to my phone plan, getting a wheel control interface, and fixing the USB charging issues.