F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Just got rear ended
GetBMWParts

08-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Jeff_in_Oviedo
Delivered!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335 M Sport

Just got rear ended

So I was creeping forward, and this guy who was in a median was trying to go from my left to right, but wasn't paying attention. He grazed/bumped my bumper with the front-left corner of his car doing about 5 MPH. He damaged the bumper and the lower grey piece that goes over the exhaust tips. Pic below.

Anybody know if a repair shop is more likely to replace the bumper, or just try to bondo/paint it? I would prefer a new bumper.

Also, does BMW provide premixed paint, or will the body shop have to color-match? I am very uncertain that they could color match it well, and I do not want them to try to blend it into the existing paint on the other panels. The entire car is covered in cQuartz, so I don't know how well that would even work anyway.

-Jeff
      08-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

The shop needs to remove it from your car to paint. Go somewhere with water based paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

New bumper. Paint color/texture match will the tough part, though a good shop can do it. Plastic parts have a flex additive and this can alter color a bit. BMW/BASF provide factory refinish colors pre-mixed. Shop still needs to spray out to make sure they get a good real world match of color/metallic flake/texture.

Check your dealer shop and see if they are BMW certified. Beware of not just color, but also texture when they return car to you. Also check for debris in refinish paint. Smaller body shops have a tough time keeping airborne contaminants out of their spray booth.
      08-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehungevo View Post
The shop needs to remove it from your car to paint. Go somewhere with water based paint.
Yes, water based and using BMW/BASF refinish products. preferably someone who has been through the BASF training programs too. Also make sure shop uses the BMW approved clear.

Last edited by claykin; 08-12-2013 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Jeff_in_Oviedo
Delivered!
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips. I have scheduled an appointment at Universal Auto Body Services, in Oviedo FL. Progressive (the other guys insurance) is picking up the tab and providing a rental.

I am going to strongly insist that I get a new bumper and lower trim piece, and that they use the BMW approved pre-mixed paint, preferably from BASF.
      08-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Jeff_in_Oviedo
Delivered!
United_States
Rep

Okay, what a week. They said that they would only fix the bumper and not get a new one.
So, they tried painting it with the standard formula, and it came out too purple. Coincidentally, it looked just like the paint-matched side reflectors I got from IND. They are just slightly more purple than the rest of the car.
Anyhow, the manager said he wasn't happy, and that they were going to re-paint it using the alternate formula. I called today and the manager said that he still wasn't happy with it, so now they are resorting to using a spectrometer to measure the color, and then mix up a custom color based on that. It will get this 3rd coat in a few minutes, and might be ready for pickup by 5 today. I really would like to have my car back, so fingers crossed that the third time is a charm.
      08-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
kokopuffs405
Yup
Rep
Drives: BMW?

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Diminished value claim
      08-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Oviedo View Post
Okay, what a week. They said that they would only fix the bumper and not get a new one.
So, they tried painting it with the standard formula, and it came out too purple. Coincidentally, it looked just like the paint-matched side reflectors I got from IND. They are just slightly more purple than the rest of the car.
Anyhow, the manager said he wasn't happy, and that they were going to re-paint it using the alternate formula. I called today and the manager said that he still wasn't happy with it, so now they are resorting to using a spectrometer to measure the color, and then mix up a custom color based on that. It will get this 3rd coat in a few minutes, and might be ready for pickup by 5 today. I really would like to have my car back, so fingers crossed that the third time is a charm.
sounds a little odd to me. There should be a paint code for the color of your car. Any certified BMW collison center should have no problem blending the color of the new bumper to match. If they are having a ton of issues matching the paint make sure when they do get the car back to you that you take it in direct sunlight and expect it personally. If there is any issues in your eyes def make sure you have them fix it to your standards. Good luck

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0