F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 Kidney Grill Removal / Tech Manaual
ARMA SPEED

08-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

F30 Kidney Grill Removal / Tech Manaual

Does anyone know how the right & left front kidney grills are removed? They feel like they just snap in place. I can't imagine you would have to remove the bumper.

In addition, is there a technical manual for the F30 335i xDrive M-Sport?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Stillhart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I found a step by step with pictures on the Google-ma-tron the other day. It linked back to this very site...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 Glacier Silver

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701830

I found it easier to stick my hand down after pulling the bumper away and pull the tabs, working from left to right, each side and then lower. It's also easier if you pull the tabs instead of pushing them.

Also, I found clips that weren't correctly installed from the factory, so I fixed those also.

2017 F48 xDrive Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Good info already in the thread. You don't actually need any tools. I did it with just my fingers, about a 5 min job. If you look at the replacement ones it'll give you an idea of where the tabs are and it's simply a task of working your way around and pulling the grill out.

It's a bit easier on the 2nd one if you leave the first one out. Took me about 3 mins to pop the first one out and about 1 to pull the 2nd because I could get my hand in better.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Good info already in the thread. You don't actually need any tools. I did it with just my fingers, about a 5 min job. If you look at the replacement ones it'll give you an idea of where the tabs are and it's simply a task of working your way around and pulling the grill out.

It's a bit easier on the 2nd one if you leave the first one out. Took me about 3 mins to pop the first one out and about 1 to pull the 2nd because I could get my hand in better.
I can reach inside the grill and feel the tabs that go along the top & bottom and each side. I've tried pulling on them, but afraid that if I pulled to hard that they would break. I also wasn't sure if that was they way they pop out either. If it is, then I will do that and just put my hands in front through the front grill and pull on the tabs and pull out.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejholt View Post
I can reach inside the grill and feel the tabs that go along the top & bottom and each side. I've tried pulling on them, but afraid that if I pulled to hard that they would break. I also wasn't sure if that was they way they pop out either. If it is, then I will do that and just put my hands in front through the front grill and pull on the tabs and pull out.
I had that same fear. I tried pulling pretty hard before I got my new grills in and nothing moved, which frustrated me greatly. The key was looking at the new grills and how the tabs were facing to know whether to push up or pull down along with not being afraid to give it a good pull once the tab was loosened slightly.

I ended up starting on the edge and working my way around, the thing didnt look like it was going to budge until I pushed and tugged on the top and middle tabs, then it just popped out. The 2nd one was out in seconds.

The thing to note is the tabs are on the grills not the car and from my experience are pretty sturdy. Worst case is you'd break the tabs on the original grill and then have to use the aftermarket ones forever.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Masten
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M Sport

Taking delivery soon and plan on changing out the grills as well. Thank you for the information.
Appreciate 0