E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Fuel pickup issues, anyone else?

10-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
F30Toad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Genesis G70

Fuel pickup issues, anyone else?

I was at a DS this weekend and started having an issue with fuel starvation at a tick under 1/2 tank. I had the problem on three different turns, all under hard braking and right handers.

Did a school back in June and never had the problem and ran the tank down to 2 miles to empty. I know I was driving harder but it seems like 1/2 tank is way too early to be experiencing fuel starvation. I am pushing myself and the car hard but find it hard to believe that as a novice I am pushing the car beyond it's limits on stock tires.

When it happened I lost complete throttle response until the car was settled for 10-15 seconds. Once it came back on I had full power. I did not get any warnings on the dash, oil temp was about 280-5 and DSC was fully disabled.

After a , I only saw one post back in 06 about the same issue but with left turns and no answer. Does anyone have any idea what it could be besides a fuel pickup problem, or is anyone else experiencing the same issue with the 335i?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Never had a problem and I've started probably as many as 6 track sessions at just over 1/4 tank.

Sorry to hear about your issue. Probably a stupid question, but could it have been DSC/DTC?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

if you lost power, it was probably the high pressure fuel pump. could be a vaporization problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
F30Toad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
if you lost power, it was probably the high pressure fuel pump. could be a vaporization problem.
What would cause vaporization? Are you saying you think it might be a HP fuel pump failure or something else happening in the tank or fuel lines? Sorry I'm just not understanding what your saying.

The car runs fine until I get into the brakes hard (threshhold ABS braking ) and follow with a right turn. One was a long steady turn after hard braking, the other two had shorter braking periods with a more severe right hand turn. Since I left the track yesterday the car has run great, no issues what so ever. Wouldn't a fuel pump problem persist?

Hegemony, I know it's not a DSC issue, I'm talking about 10-15 seconds of no throttle response, not a slight lag in power but no reaction from pressing the pedal at all. I've tried driving at the autox with DSC and DTC on and it is a totally different problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Bad idea I know, but I stayed on track with my trip computer showing less than 30 miles left near the end of a track day. I never had a problem with fuel starvation.
Appreciate 0