E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MS-8 issues with CIC / Navigataion

09-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

MS-8 issues with CIC / Navigataion

Hi Guys
Some of you who know me, I went for P99RS active sound system with IB sub in the boot.

After getting bored with it, my next project was to retrofit CIC.

Done that!

Then it was hard to live with bog standard amplified sound (CIC ---> XD 600/6 + JL 300/2).

So I looked into MS-8 running active sound system. I was advised that I'd defeat the purpose of MS-8 (logic 7) if I go for active sound system with MS-8.

So I bought MS-8 and using it with XD 600/6.

Here are few observations with three setups which I tried.

1- If I calibrate MS-8 with the audio file / cd which comes with it, the sound for navigation commands / telephone voice disappear.
However sound is brilliant. Stereo imaging and logic 7 is fine.

2- The work around for the problem mentioned in step 1 is to press the
a) voice commands
b) gongs voice control in CIC

when you are calibrating MS-8.

With this setup navigation commands / gongs are back however following are the shortfalls.

a) Navigation voice commands are very low and hardly heard if you are driving > 50MPH.
b) Central imaging of MS-8 is disturbed and sound stage appears to be where the headlight switch is (RHD for UK and I guess it would be LHD for USA). It appears as if a singer is hiding behind the headlight switch.

So to tackle the problems with setup 1 and 2,

3- Skip the calibration and setup MS-8.
Again sound stage returns to the center, however stereo imaging is disturbed.
Sound system does not give proper R and L speakers sound imaging. (which is present in setup 1 and setup 2)

Here is the file from Auto sound 2000. I am sharing it just for test purposes so you can see what I mean.

http://rapidshare.com/files/64332579...0Placement.mp3

Listen to it on your iphone headphones and then try to create the same stereo imaging on MS-8.

On the basis of limited experiments which I have done, here are my recommendations
1- Do not skip the input setup during the calibration. You will not get proper stereo imaging.
2- I found that calibration volume 24 worked best for me.
3- MS-8 is notorious for boomy bass. If I low pass the sub channel to approx 450-500Hz, then I get the really good tight bass.

Now, my question to those who have fitted it with CIC navigation, which method do you use to setup MS-8 out of the three mentioned above.

or you have some other method, then please share with us.

For me, in terms of sound, 1 setup is the best but no navigation commands and gongs.
Any opinions on how to deal with this?

Last edited by makkan00; 09-07-2013 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Any takers on this....
Surely I'm not the only one who is experimenting on MS-8.
      09-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Input setup is only required if the OEM system is Stereo or Logic7. Not required for HiFi.

If you are using it with HiFi and it does not sound great then the problem is in the speaker/filter setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Input setup is only required if the OEM system is Stereo or Logic7. Not required for HiFi.

If you are using it with HiFi and it does not sound great then the problem is in the speaker/filter setup.
Technic
My ignorance, but what does hi-fi make it special that it does not require the input setup?

I have basic stereo sound system but coded to hi-fi to have straight input to xd600/6. However after adding MS-8, those RCA bullets are going to MS-8 --> XD 600/6.

I truly think (I may be wrong) that if you skip the input setup, you are ruining your stereo imaging. Sound is excellent, and please do not get me wrong. However stereo imaging is not there if I skip the setup.

However if I go through the setup, then navigation / voice commands are messed up.

Kind of a catch 22 situation really!

Last edited by makkan00; 09-08-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

If imaging is screwy when you skip input setup, then the input signal is likely messed up. Make sure the HU balance and all controls are centered. Are you using all 4 inputs? Sounds like one of them could be faulty. Try using either only front or only rear HU outputs for MS-8 inputs.

EDIT: also double check polarity of HU outputs!!!
      09-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
If imaging is screwy when you skip input setup, then the input signal is likely messed up. Make sure the HU balance and all controls are centered. Are you using all 4 inputs? Sounds like one of them could be faulty. Try using either only front or only rear HU outputs for MS-8 inputs.

EDIT: also double check polarity of HU outputs!!!
Kaigoss

I've already looked into those my friend.
I always make sure that fader, treble, bass is neutral before carrying out the calibration. (all those 3 setups mentioned above were fitted keeping all other factors constant)

And All the wirings, RCAs are fine.

In worst case, one of the RCA may be faulty.

But then, if I take the MS-8 out of the equation (ie CIC---> XD 600/6), whole sound system works flawlessly and stereo imaging is fine.

Its only when I add MS-8 and skip the input.

I guess, I will have to order a new harness.
      09-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ordered a new harness.
However by skipping the calibration, fader on cic shifts the sound from right to left.
However RCAs are connected correctly.
      09-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Ordered a new harness.
However by skipping the calibration, fader on cic shifts the sound from right to left.
However RCAs are connected correctly.
Try swappling...possible harness issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok,
Reviewed all the things again.
My mistake. I am used to channel 1/ 2 going vertically (channel 1 top, channel 2 bottom).
However on MS-8 things go horizontally.

MS-8 had the input to channel 1 and 5 from the rear and channel 2and 6 from the front and hence these issues.

Connected the harness properly.
Stereo imaging is back.

Two problems though.
1- No sound for rear PDC if you do not calibrate but navigation voice commands are there.
2- IF you calibrate with the CD, and adjust the rear PDC while you calibrate, and go through voice instructions, only rear PDC is back. However voice commands / navigation instructions are not there.

Any way of dealing with both....
My new harness has arrived today but UK weather is becoming unreliable again.
      09-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

- Combine front and rear RCA from harness with Y adapters = 2 RCA outputs (L and R)
- plug RCA L into CH1, RCA R into CH2 MS-8 inputs
- Skip Input Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Ok,
Reviewed all the things again.
My mistake. I am used to channel 1/ 2 going vertically (channel 1 top, channel 2 bottom).
However on MS-8 things go horizontally.

MS-8 had the input to channel 1 and 5 from the rear and channel 2and 6 from the front and hence these issues.

Connected the harness properly.
Stereo imaging is back.

Two problems though.
1- No sound for rear PDC if you do not calibrate but navigation voice commands are there.
2- IF you calibrate with the CD, and adjust the rear PDC while you calibrate, and go through voice instructions, only rear PDC is back. However voice commands / navigation instructions are not there.

Any way of dealing with both....
My new harness has arrived today but UK weather is becoming unreliable again.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

^^^ this. You will lose PDC sounds placement (i.e. they will come from all speakers) but the sounds should all be there.
      09-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Technic and Kaigoss. Appreciate your help guys.