E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pre-sales CPO Inspections

09-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
bimmersfreak
Rep
Drives: BMW

Pre-sales CPO Inspections

What do dealers usually do? Repaint rock chips on front & rear bumpers, replace chipped windshields, interior cosmetics issues, tires, worn out leather seats due to poor materials of choice?

I don't have faith in BMW CPO cars anymore or maybe I was in the wrong dealer. I noticed some dealers have lower standard than the others. They're almost no different or even worst than private party car sales.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
pgaplayerless
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have yet to see any dealer do any pre-CPO work. CPO inspection = they spend 30 mins with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

It's just a Warranty applied based on condition and accident reports. Any touch ups would be done for non-CPO vehicles as well. You can actually find CPO vehicles that had an accident as long as it was cosmetic damage and fixed well..
      09-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
edelossantos
EDS328i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray 328i Coupe

I actually picked up my second CPO'd BMW from the same dealer that sold me my CPO'd 335i in 2010 (it was a 2007 model). I used that as a trade in.

I ended up getting a 2011 E92 with the sport package, Dakota leather, sun roof, and satellite radio. They showed me the CPO check list and they replaced the tires, the front rotors/brakes, checked for open campaigns (the battery recall was performed).

After I signed the paper work, the CA and I did a "walk through" to check on the vehicle. I noticed a ding in the rear bumper and also noticed that both seat belt "helpers" were not working correctly. So they provided me a loaner and a couple of days later the bumper was repaired/painted and the seat belt arms were replaced.

Based on the CBS I'm due for an oil change in about 3k.

So far I have had a very good experience with the CPO process. Your mileage may vary from dealer to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelossantos View Post
I actually picked up my second CPO'd BMW from the same dealer that sold me my CPO'd 335i in 2010 (it was a 2007 model). I used that as a trade in.

I ended up getting a 2011 E92 with the sport package, Dakota leather, sun roof, and satellite radio. They showed me the CPO check list and they replaced the tires, the front rotors/brakes, checked for open campaigns (the battery recall was performed).

After I signed the paper work, the CA and I did a "walk through" to check on the vehicle. I noticed a ding in the rear bumper and also noticed that both seat belt "helpers" were not working correctly. So they provided me a loaner and a couple of days later the bumper was repaired/painted and the seat belt arms were replaced.

So far I have had a very good experience with the CPO process. Your mileage may vary from dealer to dealer.
CPO is basically just a re-packaged Gold package extended warranty thru BMW. If the dealership does do any improvements to the car to make it look better... it's basically added to the cost of the car and passed on to you indirectly. Your probably going to be better off with buying a private party used car and have a good indy mechanic inspect the car prior to purchase. While the car is still under factory warranty... you can always just buy the 7 year wrap warranty which basically extends the factory bumper to bumper coverage up to 7 years/100k miles.

Me personally, just pay out of pocket at an indy for any work you need done. My 335xi has been rock solid and all the maintanence plan/warranty work has totally been a waste because it needs so little. I keep hoping something breaks before my CPO is up... but nothing has broken on it yet It's like driving a very nicely equipped Honda
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Again, my car has a 7/100 BMW Gold extended warranty. It was purchased over the phone with a Visa, sight unseen, and the dealer is two states away. Why is there a mythical belief that there's a CPO inspection?

CPO is a profit center, the key is it is written when the car still has a factory warranty. Kinda like in health care and the pre-existing conditions clause.

Obama is taking it away--nice and good hearted gesture. Problem is it goes against something very fundamental in insurance. So finally I guess the house gets to lose. Problem is, we the insured pay.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmersfreak View Post
What do dealers usually do? Repaint rock chips on front & rear bumpers, replace chipped windshields, interior cosmetics issues, tires, worn out leather seats due to poor materials of choice?

I don't have faith in BMW CPO cars anymore or maybe I was in the wrong dealer. I noticed some dealers have lower standard than the others. They're almost no different or even worst than private party car sales.
On my car they put new tires, and replaced the drivers side window switch due to wear. They did not fix up the rims, which I had to get them to do. Make sure to put the car on a lift and check it very thorough. I also located a paint scuff they fixed while it was on the lift.
      09-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
mc
Rep
Drives: BimFan

Whose the dealer you purchase your car? How much lower can you negotiate on this CPO asking price? I found a CPO 2011 3281 sedan w/M-Sport pkg, Value Pkg, not sure about this pkg, 13,670 miles asking $29,360. Trade-in value is about $22,675. I run KBB CPO pricing is about $29,675.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelossantos View Post
I actually picked up my second CPO'd BMW f

rom the same dealer that sold me my CPO'd 335i in 2010 (it was a 2007 model). I used that as a trade in.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmersfreak View Post

My car was bought as a CPO, and I'm very happy with what they did before I got the car. They replaced the rear seat back because there was a rip in the leather stitching. New tires, even though the original ones were fine. New wipers, fresh oil and filter all around. The car was as good as a 4-year old car gets. They did a fantastic job going through the car thoroughly to make sure everything worked the way they should. I felt they really took good care of me, so I was more than happy to pay the extra for the CPO.

So it might depend on the dealer whether a complete pre-CPO inspection was done properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
edelossantos
EDS328i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray 328i Coupe

I purchased my vehicle from Crevier BMW in Santa Ana - my CA was Saul.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
bimmersfreak
Rep
Drives: BMW

Haha, that's the place i get my car from. Their service dept. is terrible. Check yelp bad reviews they're real. They painted my bumpers but the quality is bad and color do not match. They did not take off the reflector and tow hitch covers when they repaint the bumper so, it looks ugly. The paint seems dull in certain area like very thin to none layer of clear coat. Car was driven over 30 miles since they did not have on-site body shop. They also leave paint residues all over my interiors and white residue finger prints from the painter. Trunk was also dirty with white residue and they used my screw driver and left it on the left CD compartment in the trunk. I got to get them painted twice since they did not repaint the front bumper right in the first place. Rock chips was still there. I believe someone joy riding the car in the first 2 weeks. Total spent in their hand was 1 month. I send a complaint to BMW USA and they said i have to work it out with the dealer, since they are individually owned. Arco AM PM has better corporate quality control over their stores. Although they are owner operated as well. I'd never service my car over at Crevier no more.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Prem

Here you go! see attached...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMWCPO_2013_InsChkUpdt_v2.pdf (638.5 KB, 90 views)
2014 X5 50i M-Pkg
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
I bought my car CPO almost 4 years ago and yet to have any problems except common issues that I got repaired under warranty. I don't know why people are afraid of buying CPO cars. But I guess it varies from dealership.

Also it's just not cosmetic repairs that they do but everything in and out, making sure everything functions properly and etc. If a part is damaged or broken, they should replace it before selling the car to you.
      09-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

CPO is just a warranty that is included in the price of the car. And it is not as good as the warranties you can buy from BMW yourself if you aren't out of warranty yet.

Please ignore their marketing...used cars are always "reconditioned" if necessary before being sold. If my next car is a BMW it is very unlikely it will be a CPO...I've learned my lesson.
Appreciate 0