E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Endlink Issue

09-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

Endlink Issue

Hi all! I'm going through some endlink issues and hope you folks could chime in in giving me advice.

Full story:

I've had my KW coilovers on this whole summer on OEM endlinks. All was dandy until I had a very faint but definately noticeable (to me) clunk on my passenger side under slow speeds and small bumps. My mechanic looked around and wiggled everything under the hoist to find out I had a bad ball joint on my passenger side endlink. That prompted me to purchase new Lemforder endlinks and I had both sides replaced with new endlinks.

Once the new ones were on, the drivers side endlink made screeching noises when I turned my wheel (we found out it was the endlink because when we disconnected one end to diagnose, the sound was not present when i turned the wheel). I thought it was a defected endlink, so I replaced that as well with another.

Two days ago while my friend and I were adjusting coilovers, we noticed that my passenger side endlink has SNAPPED IN HALF!

I am lost at the moment as to what is happening and what my next steps are:

1) Is it due to my unluckiness that these endlinks were defective???
2) I've done my searching around on forums and I'm getting mixed info - some say I will need LONGER endlinks while some say when lowered, you need SHORTER endlinks. But if length of endlink is the issue, how come I was able to be lowered on OEM endlinks for these past few seasons???

PS - adjustable endlinks are unfortunately not an option for me as it requires shipping time and I have a track date upcoming Saturday.

Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

With kw coils, you need 1 inch longer I believe for every inch lowered , same for st, bc,sonic,olhins, ast coils. The only coilover that needs shorter ones I believe as well are FK because the attachment is different thus needing shorter end link . So if you are running KW coils, buy longer ones without any doubts! Take the adjustable 13" ones from HP auto works (159$) 1 inch adjustable. Stock ones are 11"... Something inches
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
335dM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i
Hi all! I'm going through some endlink issues and hope you folks could chime in in giving me advice.

Full story:

I've had my KW coilovers on this whole summer on OEM endlinks. All was dandy until I had a very faint but definately noticeable (to me) clunk on my passenger side under slow speeds and small bumps. My mechanic looked around and wiggled everything under the hoist to find out I had a bad ball joint on my passenger side endlink. That prompted me to purchase new Lemforder endlinks and I had both sides replaced with new endlinks.

Once the new ones were on, the drivers side endlink made screeching noises when I turned my wheel (we found out it was the endlink because when we disconnected one end to diagnose, the sound was not present when i turned the wheel). I thought it was a defected endlink, so I replaced that as well with another.

Two days ago while my friend and I were adjusting coilovers, we noticed that my passenger side endlink has SNAPPED IN HALF!

I am lost at the moment as to what is happening and what my next steps are:

1) Is it due to my unluckiness that these endlinks were defective???
2) I've done my searching around on forums and I'm getting mixed info - some say I will need LONGER endlinks while some say when lowered, you need SHORTER endlinks. But if length of endlink is the issue, how come I was able to be lowered on OEM endlinks for these past few seasons???

PS - adjustable endlinks are unfortunately not an option for me as it requires shipping time and I have a track date upcoming Saturday.

Please advise.
I didn't see the part where you need them today! Go to a local auto parts and bring yours with you and ask them to find any longer endlink ( at least 1,5 inches longer) end links are all the same size threads and bolt . You will pay max 40$ each
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

The ones that came with my bc are shorter. Seems like my longer factory ones wouldn't fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
With kw coils, you need 1 inch longer I believe for every inch lowered , same for st, bc,sonic,olhins, ast coils. The only coilover that needs shorter ones I believe as well are FK because the attachment is different thus needing shorter end link . So if you are running KW coils, buy longer ones without any doubts! Take the adjustable 13" ones from HP auto works (159$) 1 inch adjustable. Stock ones are 11"... Something inches
So what if I don't get longer endlinks for every 1" lowered? Will I break the endlinks or worn out the endlink bushings faster?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
The ones that came with my bc are shorter. Seems like my longer factory ones wouldn't fit.
Thanks for the input guys. But see!? Even in this thread, I'm getting mixed advice.

With KW, does anyone know for sure if I'll need LONGER or SHORTER endlinks???
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
335dM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
Thanks for the input guys. But see!? Even in this thread, I'm getting mixed advice.

With KW, does anyone know for sure if I'll need LONGER or SHORTER endlinks???
Yes with kw you need longer ones!
With bc I made a mistake its just like FK! You need shorter ones
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Found out the mechanic installed the wrong part on the wrong side. All is well now, thanks guys!

KW's mounting "ear" for one end of the endlink is the same as OEM. Therefore, not much in terms of endlink length NEEDS to be changed. OEM endlinks work with no problems whatsoever (perfect fit, no bending of ball joint when installed and suspension loaded)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

You do not "need" longer links for KW/ST as you found out. If you ever replace again with fixed length links, I'd go with the v2 Meyle HD links sold by a variety of vendors (they have blue caps).

BTW because of the orientation of the joints to mate up with the swaybar and the strut ear, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get them on the wrong sides. Whatever they did to get them to bolt up is pretty scary.