E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Driver side wheel shaking?

09-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
point665
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Driver side wheel shaking?

Hey guys,

I started noticing a vibration/slight shaking coming from the front end a few months back. BMW had the car for some warranty work and inspected the rack and all suspension components, only to say it was caused by the tires. I had those tires Road Force balanced and the problem persisted and eventually got new tires (Road Force balanced by a different shop) - the problem still existed.

I'm thinking that it is a thrust arm, but don't want to just throw parts at it without being a bit more confident. The shaking has gotten worse and seems to come from the driver side. The problem is exaggerated under braking, although does not seem to be related to speed (in other words, it seems that the frequency does not change whether doing 60mph or 20mph)... so I think that rules out a rotor.

At one point I questioned if it could be a wheel bearing (since the shaking/pulsing sound "whomp whomp whomp whomp" gets worse in long bends), but don't notice the driver side front hub being any hotter than the passenger side.

I've inspected the thrust arms for hydraulic fluid, but they look to be in good shape. The car just passed 60k. Also - I've noticed increased clunking over bumps, further leading me to believe it is a thrust arm.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Thrust arm sounds good. My cousin spent 2500 on them for his M5. Same symptom .
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
point665
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Thrust arm sounds good. My cousin spent 2500 on them for his M5. Same symptom .
Thanks John, I searched around on some M5 specific forums (new and old) and their symptoms sound pretty similar.

Anyone with an E90 have similar experiences?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
flatfour64
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Saloon

I am having what sounds like a similar issue with my car, 06 325i. My steering wheel shimmy and slight vibration starts around 50 mph and clears up around 75-80. Sometimes it is greatly exaggerated by braking, and other times braking smooths it out. I hear a low roaring sound from the front end in parking lots when straight or turning, but no typical bad wheel bearing behavior (whomp whomp) at speed or in corners. My front end clunks a bit over *some* low speed bumps. I am going to jack it up and spin the wheels with a listening rod on the steering knuckle to see if I detect a bad bearing, and look/feel for loose joints in the steering/suspension.

I am interested to hear what your issue ends up being.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
pk_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i X-Drive

You wheel could be bent, my E92 had a slight vibration before I bought it. Brought it to BMW and they showed me that it was slightly bent. They had it on a hoist and you can see the wheel "hop" because it was not perfectly straight.

Just giving my two cents... You have seemed to exhausted all other potentials..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
flatfour64
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Saloon

My car is in the shop now... will post what it was when I know.

I jacked it up and checked it myself and could not find anything loose, or bad wheel bearings, at least with the skills I have with my 20 years of experience with cars that is. I am now betting it is a bent wheel also.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
point665
Private
Rep

I don't think it is a bent wheel for a few reasons:

-The frequency does not seem to change with speed

-The shaking is intensified under braking (makes me think its a bushing)

-The wheels have been balanced twice and the shops said they were fine

-The problem is worse on some days than others

-The clunk going over bumps

So I'm leaning on thrust arm bushings still...
Appreciate 0