BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Renderings/Rumors: 2017 BMW 5 Series (G30) to Receive 3 Cylinder and M5 Over 600 HP

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
30838
Rep
20,759
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb Renderings/Rumors: 2017 BMW 5 Series (G30) to Receive 3 Cylinder and M5 Over 600 HP

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Renderings and Rumors: 2017 BMW 5 Series to Receive 3 Cylinder and M5 Over 600 HP
89
COMMENTS

Autobild is reporting that the next generation 2017 BMW 5 Series will add a 3 cylinder turbodiesel model in certain markets.

The 3 cylinder turbodiesel 5 Series is rumored to output 150 HP (110 kW) and sip diesel at just 3.9 liters / 100 km (60 MPG US / 72 MPG UK). The next gen 5 Series will ride on a new platform which it will share with the next gen 6 Series and 7 Series.

The report goes on to predict that the next M5 model will feature power in excess of 600 HP and will be offered with optional all-wheel-drive (as previously reported).

The next gen 5 Series is expected to hit the market in mid 2016. The touring model prototype has already been spied in testing (spy pics).

Speculative/imaginative renderings by Autobild:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 9.17.15 AM.jpg
Views: 50447
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  2017-5-series1.jpg
Views: 66611
Size:  162.3 KB

Name:  2017-5-series2.jpg
Views: 68063
Size:  208.5 KB

Name:  2017-5-series3.jpg
Views: 101300
Size:  185.8 KB

Appreciate 1
      10-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
BMWRL
Lieutenant
BMWRL's Avatar
United_States
449
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: 530xiT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Lovin' that front end, Looks like they just grafted the X5 front onto a 5er. Hope the tail lights are off though.
__________________
Is there really anything besides a BMW?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Grover432
Lieutenant
19
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: 2013 535 XDrive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

It doesn't look too much different than the current car, except for the busy front end. It will arrive just when my newly leased F10 is almost done.
__________________
2013 535 X Drive, Alpine White/M Sport/Executive/Apps/Black Dakota/Fineline Anthracite
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
462
Rep
18,870
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

How much is this efficient 5er going to cost? 60k?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
///M ARMY
Colonel
897
Rep
2,932
Posts

Drives: F90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cali

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2016 Charger SRT 392  [0.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
M5 all wheels drive 600hp...... Thank you Jesus
__________________
2017 Ford Raptor
2019 BMW M5-Nardo Grey
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
bunker
BVARIAN
bunker's Avatar
United_States
518
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2019 440xi gc unicorn
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (0)

does anyone even pay attention to the AutoBild renders anymore? they're never even close - even the ones they play conservatively. IMO, all of the guys that do their renders need to find new jobs.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
1298
Rep
2,790
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

Hopefully next gen isn't a fat heavy pig like the current gen.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
bobblehead's Avatar
Canada
242
Rep
4,720
Posts

Drives: warp speed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, On

iTrader: (0)

well, at least the LCI (for those who bought one) is good for another 3 yrs, unlike this ridiculous M5 fiasco. For US, came out in Sep 2012 as MY2013, one year later, LCI comes out, I am guessing in the next couple of years, the M5 will come out with all sorts of Special Editions (although it's already out in certain markets, like Canada and Japan this year)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
TheBingoBalls's Avatar
Canada
2037
Rep
3,975
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
If this is anywhere near true, there has to be some serious weight reduction if the 5-Series is going to be sharing the 6-Series and 7-Series platform. We know that the GXX 7-Series is going to incorporate CFRP and the estimated weight savings seems to pretty significant but right now, the F10 is about 4300 pounds so if they're going to throw a 3-cylinder with 150HP, the next generation 5-Series should ideally be well below 4000 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
175
Rep
7,299
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Hopefully next gen isn't a fat heavy pig like the current gen.
when were they never a fat heavy pig?

even the 3 is a fat heavy pig now.....there is no way your dream comes true!!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
The Big O
Private
The Big O's Avatar
South Africa
9
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: E82 M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

My only hope is that the M5 will go back to core M weight principles, but with power being jacked up its unlikely that we will ever see another lightweight M5 again
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
clbmw
Major
623
Rep
1,497
Posts

Drives: 320d M135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big O
My only hope is that the M5 will go back to core M weight principles, but with power being jacked up its unlikely that we will ever see another lightweight M5 again
+1

Or should that be -1
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
professor_yo
Private First Class
professor_yo's Avatar
United_States
112
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Ehhh..not necessarily impressed. Though if the numbers on the M5 come to life, that'd be beastly.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
hotrod2448
grand poobah
hotrod2448's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
2,255
Posts

Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 寶馬.E90 View Post
If this is anywhere near true, there has to be some serious weight reduction if the 5-Series is going to be sharing the 6-Series and 7-Series platform. We know that the GXX 7-Series is going to incorporate CFRP and the estimated weight savings seems to pretty significant but right now, the F10 is about 4300 pounds so if they're going to throw a 3-cylinder with 150HP, the next generation 5-Series should ideally be well below 4000 pounds.
Everyone keeps talking about how heavy the F10 is... The F10 528i is already under 4K lbs. The US website lists the gross weight as 4971 for a 528i, gross is maximum weight the vehicle can carry (passengers, luggage, etc...) The UK site lists the 528i's unladden weight as 1700kg (3750lbs.). For a 550i it's 4200 unladen, 5400 gross.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
462
Rep
18,870
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big O View Post
My only hope is that the M5 will go back to core M weight principles, but with power being jacked up its unlikely that we will ever see another lightweight M5 again
The past 3 generations M5's were never under 4000 lbs. I would argue that it has never been lightweight AND powerful.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
388
Rep
3,472
Posts

Drives: 19 M2C 6MT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
That's stupid. The next gen-M5 doesn't need that much horsepower. What it needs is liposuction. The next-gen M5/M6 should have only a small bump in horsepower and torque figures and a 400-500 pound weight loss. Add more aluminum and carbon fiber, it wouldn't be too hard. Especially after the production of the i3 starts, CF will become easier and more efficient to use for BMW.

Oh and please stop with making everything bigger. I think it's safe to say that this is the biggest cars should become. Any bigger and it gets a bit ridiculous... Are we going back in time towards the massive caddies and impalas or what? You can't keep making bigger cars ever generation. If there was a generation for that to end, it should be this upcoming one. Even if it's a couple of inches, it makes a difference and could potentially start a trend favoring downsizing within the market.

I know, the M5 never was the lightest car around. But it makes more sense to favor light weight over horsepower at this point of the M5's life. It will allow for a better driving experience, and if an M5 isn't trying to achieve that, then I don't know what else to say..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
e85sbm's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
427
Posts

Drives: F10 & E89
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

iTrader: (2)

Very interesting, but in my opinion it is far to early to predict what a future variant will look like.

Lets face the reality of the progress and direction of BMW from the E34, E39, E60 and F10 models....each showed some big shifts in corporate design with introduction of angel eyes, LED lighting and revisions of size and shape as a result of safety standards.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
clbmw
Major
623
Rep
1,497
Posts

Drives: 320d M135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON
That's stupid. The next gen-M5 doesn't need that much horsepower. What it needs is liposuction. The next-gen M5/M6 should have only a small bump in horsepower and torque figures and a 400-500 pound weight loss. Add more aluminum and carbon fiber, it wouldn't be too hard. Especially after the production of the i3 starts, CF will become easier and more efficient to use for BMW.

Oh and please stop with making everything bigger. I think it's safe to say that this is the biggest cars should become. Any bigger and it gets a bit ridiculous... Are we going back in time towards the massive caddies and impalas or what? You can't keep making bigger cars ever generation. If there was a generation for that to end, it should be this upcoming one. Even if it's a couple of inches, it makes a difference and could potentially start a trend favoring downsizing within the market.

I know, the M5 never was the lightest car around. But it makes more sense to favor light weight over horsepower at this point of the M5's life. It will allow for a better driving experience, and if an M5 isn't trying to achieve that, then I don't know what else to say..
Yeah they do need to stop making everything bigger

I reckon when I retire the Bimmerpost forum will be getting excited about the announcement of the minus 1 series, which will be a spiritual successor to the E90. The 7 series by that time will require an HGV licence.

Really like the speculative image, usually they look ridiculous but this looks smart
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
lasovan
First Lieutenant
14
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: bmw 320
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: europe

iTrader: (0)

I like the renderings. Love the new "headlights - kidneys" design language.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
uhn2000
Big K...
uhn2000's Avatar
Canada
139
Rep
1,700
Posts

Drives: M5CS BX7
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Yeah they do need to stop making everything bigger

I reckon when I retire the Bimmerpost forum will be getting excited about the announcement of the minus 1 series, which will be a spiritual successor to the E90. The 7 series by that time will require an HGV licence.

Really like the speculative image, usually they look ridiculous but this looks smart
Agreed I think it looks great!!!
__________________
Many fun toys... M5CS FTW!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
ATX78703
Major
62
Rep
1,038
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

if bmw sticks to its standard 7 year lifecycle run, shouldn't the next 5er be a MY 2018? I thought the current f10 kicked off as a 2011 MY...
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
Fluffy bastard
Private
Fluffy bastard's Avatar
Russian Federation
9
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: Pony
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Fluffy bastard
There is no vehicle profile for new 5-series but I can tell you that four cylinder petrol engine for 730 sDrive G11 (new 7-series) isn't a rumor.
__________________
Fluffy Russian СaT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2016 5 series touring, 2016 5-series, 2016 bmw 5 series, 2017 5 series, 2017 5 series touring, 2017 bmw 5 series

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST