F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Good dealership/shop to get/store tires near NYC?
proTUNING Freaks

11-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Good dealership/shop to get/store tires near NYC?

Hey all, my first real winter with my f30 (bought it in Jan), and I want to get a set of winter tires, since mine came with performance summers, and they're terrible in the snow (wheels were spinning trying to drive up a driveway with a powdering of snow last year).

I was considering just swapping them for all seasons and using those year round, but my current tires only have about 5k miles on them, and I haven't found a place that would both buy my old tires and sell new all season runflats at a good rate nearby (if anyone knows of any, let me know!)

The other option is to find a dealership/store that can sell me a second set of dedicated winter tire/rims for a reasonable price, and store/change them during winter/spring. On the BMWUSA site there's a set of 4 tires plus rims for about $2,000:
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/37...CenterId=65775

Anyone know which tires those use, or is it up to the dealership? If I go that route, is there a dealership near NYC (I live in Manhattan) that will store the tires for free (I seem to remember reading someone's post before that there were some dealerships that do this if you buy through them) and not charge ridiculous prices for installation/rotation and balancing? BMW of Manhattan charges $1,700!!!!! just for installation according to their site, and $750 a year for storage, not including installation/rotation/balancing.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Hey all, my first real winter with my f30 (bought it in Jan), and I want to get a set of winter tires, since mine came with performance summers, and they're terrible in the snow (wheels were spinning trying to drive up a driveway with a powdering of snow last year).

I was considering just swapping them for all seasons and using those year round, but my current tires only have about 5k miles on them, and I haven't found a place that would both buy my old tires and sell new all season runflats at a good rate nearby (if anyone knows of any, let me know!)

The other option is to find a dealership/store that can sell me a second set of dedicated winter tire/rims for a reasonable price, and store/change them during winter/spring. On the BMWUSA site there's a set of 4 tires plus rims for about $2,000:
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/37...CenterId=65775

Anyone know which tires those use, or is it up to the dealership? If I go that route, is there a dealership near NYC (I live in Manhattan) that will store the tires for free (I seem to remember reading someone's post before that there were some dealerships that do this if you buy through them) and not charge ridiculous prices for installation/rotation and balancing? BMW of Manhattan charges $1,700!!!!! just for installation according to their site, and $750 a year for storage, not including installation/rotation/balancing.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Tsuyoi

My professional recommendation, do not go with all seasons. They are pretty mediocre in the winter, and even worse when paired with RWD.

Get yourself a solid set of full winter tires if you are going to be swapping your rims out. You'll thank yourself, trust me. And you'll actually have more control over your RWD car than some of these tools driving around in their SUV's with all seasons on them, acting like the elements don't apply to them.

I'd also recommend not paying a dealership for storage and consider renting a very small storage unit locally to keep your car parts. You'll wind up paying a very small fee per month versus what the dealer would charge you, and most of them provide hand trucks so you don't have to carry the tires in yourself.

In Manhattan you'll probably pay around 70 bucks a month for a 4x4x8 unit which would be more than large enough. If you are willing to drive into Jersey City or Brooklyn you can probably land one for almost half that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
QTC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 320i; B6 A4 1.8T

Shop to get tires from (and/or mounted and balanced): Drive Auto Works in Clifton (NJ). They have a Corghi touch less mounting machine (has never scratched any of my wheels), offer competitive prices on tires, etc. Good people, tell Dion Matt (from VA) sent you should you go with them
Appreciate 0