E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Help with iDrive screen please!

11-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
razer8724
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C55 AMG

Help with iDrive screen please!

I posted the same question in the audio/visual forum, however heres the predicament:

I just picked up my AW E92 335xi 2 days ago with iDrive and decided to make its first mod the backup camera! As exciting as it sounds, I started doing all the work, finally had everything wired and tested it out by the screen looks like it went into a 16 bit color mode or something! All the colors and graphics are coming out terribly and it doesnt look like true color. Somehow I also managed to throw a service engine soon light, but upon performing a systems check everything says ok (don't understand how). I only have 61 miles on my car and i'm already so nervous that the warranty may now be void and i'll have to spend rediculous amounts of cash to get the screen fixed..PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME! Is there any way to change it back to true color? I'm going to the service center tomorrow regarding that check engine light so should I also revert everything back to normal?

Here is what the screen looks like (if you know what 16bit graphics look like on a computer, you'll be familiar with it)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Probably not a big deal, looks like you may be missing one video pin - the one for the green signal. Check for missing or loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Yea does look to be the culprit...
      11-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
razer8724
Private
Rep

So even on the stock LCD cable (the thick gage purple connector one) the green pin may be loose? How would I check to see if this is the case?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
e90pdto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

You are probably talking about the "16 colors" mode. In "16-bit" color mode, most people won't even notice the differences, and it was the default mode before XP.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by toattett View Post
You are probably talking about the "16 colors" mode. In "16-bit" color mode, most people won't even notice the differences, and it was the default mode before XP.
Correct, the old CGA/EGA 4-bit colour palette, which gave you 16 colours. 16-bit gives you 65,536 colours.

I am starting to feel old now, as my first PC XT had Hercules graphics, and that was already my fourth computer after the ZX Spectrum, MSX and MSX-2.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You guys are confusing the poor guy. It's obviously not a pallete, color, or resolution change. It's the input green video signal to the LCD monitor (as in RGB).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
lol. Try reconnecting all the connections you touched. It looks like something isn't sitting right.

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 12:56 AM   #9
Nonsuch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer8724 View Post
So even on the stock LCD cable (the thick gage purple connector one) the green pin may be loose? How would I check to see if this is the case?
Remove the iDrive display and disconnect the purple connector.
Look at the connector on the display, are all 10 pins straight?
Look at the connector on the cable, metal contacts should be visible in 8 of the holes (pins 3 and 8 in the center are empty).

If the display connector is OK, it is likely that one of the pins on the cable is loose in the connector. Partially remove the metal shield, and the contacts will be visible. Use a very small screwdriver to reposition the displaced contact.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
razer8724
Private
Rep

clyde, i opened up the purple connector and all the cables are in their correct positions. Also, the 10 pins on the display are perfect in shape and are not bent or malformed. Could it be a short circuit in the green wire? Or does the purple connector cable come from somewhere else and possibly have a loose connection there?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
clyde, i opened up the purple connector and all the cables are in their correct positions. Also, the 10 pins on the display are perfect in shape and are not bent or malformed. Could it be a short circuit in the green wire? Or does the purple connector cable come from somewhere else and possibly have a loose connection there?
Is the green video signal actually going across a green wire?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
razer8724
Private
Rep

Oh, sorry, by green wire I meant the wire that carried the green signal. I don't know what color the coating of the wire is but all the wires seem to be in their appropriate areas. When I checked the purple connector, I pryed open the metal shield and saw that all the wires seemed to be in their respective connection areas. Is there a better/correct way to check this?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, sorry, by green wire I meant the wire that carried the green signal. I don't know what color the coating of the wire is but all the wires seem to be in their appropriate areas. When I checked the purple connector, I pryed open the metal shield and saw that all the wires seemed to be in their respective connection areas. Is there a better/correct way to check this?
Yes, you can check the voltages on the pins on the connector that interfaces with your LCD. BTW, were you using the G-NET or tvandnav2go? If so, what did their tech support suggest?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
razer8724
Private
Rep

i was using tvandnav2go. and when i notified the customer service, they basically said it was impossible that something like that could occur and it was my fault for installing it incorrectly and damaging the system. By the way, how would I check the voltages on the pins? Do I have to use a voltmeter or something and plug it into each of the connectors on the purple connector interface?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
Nonsuch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M6

Quote:
The other end of the cable connects to the back of the Car Communication Computer (CCC), the brain with the CD and DVD slots. That cable is taped together with other cables, so it seems unlikely that the other end could have pulled loose.

Another simple test:
Plug the cable back in, but do not install the screen. Gently move the connector and cable around -- look for any changes on the screen.

If the problem is the cable or connector, it will most likely be pins 1 or 2.
Problems with the other pins would most likely cause the screen to be blank.

Were the screen pictures taken with the tvandnav2go installed?
Was there any difference between installed and not installed?

Last edited by Nonsuch; 11-06-2007 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
razer8724
Private
Rep

The screen pictures were taken after I reinstalled everything back to stock, however the picture was the same even when it was hooked up with the tvandnav2go module. I'll try to move the cable around a bit and see if I can notice any changes, but I tried something similar to that with no avail. I'll also check pins 1 and 2 to see if they are making contact correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #17
Bmwbaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530i

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but has anyone or indeed the poster have the answer to this? My ccc was working spot on until trying to add a video interface then I got a purple 16bit look not as bad as pics by poster but defo something wrong .... Interface removed and car ccc back to standard but problem stays. I think the dip switches on interface were to blame but regardless of adjusting them all no change. Video cable an monitor ok as have plugged into old m-ask unit and perfect display....the problem is stuck in my ccc someplace. Ps- have tried volume,eject,eject -unit resets problem persists.
Appreciate 0