E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > CPS Lip Fitment? Help!

01-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is

CPS Lip Fitment? Help!

Hey guys,

I bought the CPS lip off a vendor here on the forums for my 2011 335is (LCI). I ordered the LCI version obviously but to me the fitment seems off. I have not taken it anywhere to get it installed because just holding the lip up to the bumper makes me feel like I will be wasting my time and the body shops time. The lip does not seem like the "teeth" are wide enough to fit in the grooves/cut outs of the m-sport bumper. I tried to take some pics, what are your guy's thoughts? Did I get the wrong version of this lip? I've heard of a few other people running the CPS lip without any issues. I would have just bought an Arkym lip, but for some thing that is going to get scraped up and most likely need replaced regularly, I'm not spending almost double.

Pic 1 - Shows overall lip. Can see how the "tooth" on the pass side fits into the cut out but the driver side is about 1/4" too close to the center.

Pic 2 - Shows what pic 1 does but a little bit closer

Pic 3 - Shows the driver side a little bit more close up with the side of the lip flush with the bumper

Pic 4 - Shows the pass side sticking out .5-1" out from the bumper, but the "tooth" mostly fitting into the cut out on the bumper.

Note(s):
- Disregard the tow hook, I was borrowing that from my friend while I was getting a new tow hook cover.
- When I keep saying "tooth" I mean the two parts of the lip that protrude upwards and fit into the cut outs of the bumper like a jig saw puzzle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

I'm sure you got the right version, but the fitment definitely looks off.

You should contact the vendor and explain the problem. It should definitely fit better than that.

Hope everything works out! I've actually been thinking about getting this lip myself - interested to see how this works out
      01-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

yea. that definitely looks like it isnt going to fit well
      01-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
I'm sure you got the right version, but the fitment definitely looks off.

You should contact the vendor and explain the problem. It should definitely fit better than that.

Hope everything works out! I've actually been thinking about getting this lip myself - interested to see how this works out
Thanks, me too.

And, first thing I did, was contact the vendor. Their response was:

Quote:
After market parts generally require professional installation. And you may need to remove the front bumper in Order to properly install the lip. Fitment will not be 100% as it's common for non OEM products.
I understand professional installation is most likely required, but it just does not seem like the lip will fit regardless of who installs it...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
yea. that definitely looks like it isnt going to fit well
That is what I am concerned about. If I try to center the lip, it did not fit in either groove and seemed like there was a 1/4" gap between the lip and the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
pjdizzle94
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 and others

when i first got my arkym lip (cps lips are based off of it) i was sketched as hell too. looked like it wasnt gonna fit. then when i put it on it was 100%. you never know until you install it

IG thatcarguypj
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdizzle94 View Post
when i first got my arkym lip (cps lips are based off of it) i was sketched as hell too. looked like it wasnt gonna fit. then when i put it on it was 100%. you never know until you install it
I think holes have to be drilled for this lip. I already do not want to drill holes let alone drill a set for a lip that does not fit. Idk, maybe I'm wrong, but it just does not seem like this lip will be able to fit very well.

And for what its worth, the Arkym lip has better fitment than the CPS (Arkym was made for the bumper/molded to it, CPS was molded from the Arkym) So, if your genuine ARKYM lip looked like it was off, this must look like its off even more lol
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHleen View Post
Thanks, me too.

And, first thing I did, was contact the vendor. Their response was:

I understand professional installation is most likely required, but it just does not seem like the lip will fit regardless of who installs it...
typical...

it's clearly too small. if it were me, I'd just return it and get a different one.

good luck
      01-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Might be the pre-lci version as the lines look a bit soft for the lci.. request a new one!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
typical...

it's clearly too small. if it were me, I'd just return it and get a different one.

good luck
I linked the vendor to this thread, hopefully they offer some kind of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
Might be the pre-lci version as the lines look a bit soft for the lci.. request a new one!
The vendor mentioned that he can tell right away between the two so let's see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

I think that once you start installing the lip to the bumper that it will be fine. Our bumpers are polyurethane so it will flex enough to mold itself to the lip.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
jm3as
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Quote:
agreed, once you actually bolt it firmly into place it should pull itself in nice and snug. when i got my non lci lip, i lined it up like you have in the pics and thought to myself "no fucking way this will fit" it looked off by damn near 3-4". but once its bolted in, its a different story.

facebook.com/jmeasphotography | jmeas.4ormat.com | IG: jmeasphotography
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
FRRYY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92

Quote:
This is what happened with mine too.

Looked COMPLETELY OFF, but when you actually bolt it on, it fits.
      01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYΛN View Post

+1

Mine looked like OP's pictures, but these lips are slightly flexible and putting it under the sun or somewhere warm for a while will make installation much easier.

I installed mine in the cold but after bending it countless times, the lip bolted on perfectly.

Seems like the people who are saying it looks like it is not going to fit got their lips installed by a shop.

When I brought mine to a shop, they said it is not going to fit unless some "modifications" were done. Saved myself $200 installing it myself in literally 20mins.

**Tip** Push it upwards from the bottom and not from the front to the back.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

I would chat with the vendor for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, yes it was PJ
      01-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm3as View Post
agreed, once you actually bolt it firmly into place it should pull itself in nice and snug. when i got my non lci lip, i lined it up like you have in the pics and thought to myself "no fucking way this will fit" it looked off by damn near 3-4". but once its bolted in, its a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYΛN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
+1

Mine looked like OP's pictures, but these lips are slightly flexible and putting it under the sun or somewhere warm for a while will make installation much easier.

I installed mine in the cold but after bending it countless times, the lip bolted on perfectly.

Seems like the people who are saying it looks like it is not going to fit got their lips installed by a shop.

When I brought mine to a shop, they said it is not going to fit unless some "modifications" were done. Saved myself $200 installing it myself in literally 20mins.

**Tip** Push it upwards from the bottom and not from the front to the back.
How do I know where to bolt it in/drill the holes? I wish this was one that could install easily with 3m tape, but I know that is not the best and safest route of doing so. I'll probably take it to a shop and have them look at it and see what they think.
Appreciate 0