Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

01-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Houston Auto Show M3/4 Review from E92 M3 owner

OK, so I went to the Houston Auto Show last night to check these two cars out.

As is no secret, I love the tech specs of this car. I am a firm believer that it will perform spectacularly, and be efficient while doing it. I also love turbo power, and know from my 997tt that turbo engines CAN pull hard to redline and have a balanced powerband. I believe the m3 motor will be similar if not slightly better.

So, my main concern was the looks both inside and out, and the overall quality of the car. I recently had some time in an m5/6 and the one standout factor is how high quality the interiors of those cars are. The materials can compete with anything ive ever been in, and it makes a big difference since you spend a lot of time in the car.

So my goals were to use the m5/6 and e9x m3 as a benchmark to see where this car is as far as tech and quality.

First Impressions

The size of the m3 is perfect for what it is, which is a DD sedan that you can carve up some roads with and take to the track. Great amount of rear seat room, and the proportions are excellent in person.

Austin yellow is HORRIBLE in person. I absolutely hate it and it almost made it hard for me to tell how the m3 looked because I hated the color so much.

Mineral gray is a nice color, looks good in person (m4). Looks good with the CF roof.

Both black and silver wheels look good in person, but I still prefer ZCP style wheels.

The interior in Sonoma Beige is unbelieveable.

The interior in black is very good, but not nearly as nice as the contrast from Sonoma beige.

The materials quality in the interior DESTROYS the e9x from the leather on the seats to the trim to the contrast stitching, to the amount of leather coverage, to the design of the seats. No comparison.

The interior is much different and much more impressive than an m sport 335 or 435 (also at the show). My GF who knows zero about cars commented on how different and much nicer the M interiors were and I didn't even bring this up.

The interior is comparable to the M5/6 interiors. The leather materials are very similar, and it feels very upmarket. Far more impressive than the RS5 interior which to me, was the benchmark in this segment before this M3.

Both cars had extended leather (not full) and it looked awesome. I would not order the full leather package unless it was almost the same price. The car looks very expensive and damn well made with the basic leather package.

Best seats ive sat in. im about 5-10 170 lbs and lean and these seats fit me perfectly. Seating position was very good and lower than the e9x m3. I would say if you were a little overweight or a bigger guy, these seats may be a little tight on you. But overall, huge improvement.

M4 trunk looks pretty badass with the CSL ducktail.

M3 looks better to my eye, love the fat fenders on the front and rear.

Wheelgap is not as bad in person, looks a touch lower than the stock non competition e9x m3

M4 does not appear to be too long in person as it does in some pics. Car looks good.

Both cars were much more impressive in person than in pictures.

Overall, I was damn impressed with the quality of the cars and I felt like it was a large improvement over the outgoing e9x in terms of quality and design. The tech is a lot better and the interior is a lot nicer. The exterior paint and design of the headlights and all looks very good in person.

These cars were getting a lot of attention at the show, as popular as anything else.

The car looks like it is easily a 70k car. It looks and feels very expensive and special. I was really impressed, I just wish the m3 was a better color and not baby puke yellow.

Loved it. May go back after work today to take another closer look.

Hope this helps

EDIT : I also noted that these cars had the HK stereo with the base leather package (some reports were that you had to go full leather to get HK, not the case). The design of the speakers looked really good with the interior (you can see on the door shot I took) and they sounded very good, I would definitely get this option. The new version of I-drive is also excellent and builds on the already excellent version in the LCI e9x m3. The gauges look very cool
      01-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

01-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
OK, so I went to the Houston Auto Show last night to check these two cars out.

As is no secret, I love the tech specs of this car. I am a firm believer that it will perform spectacularly, and be efficient while doing it. I also love turbo power, and know from my 997tt that turbo engines CAN pull hard to redline and have a balanced powerband. I believe the m3 motor will be similar if not slightly better.

So, my main concern was the looks both inside and out, and the overall quality of the car. I recently had some time in an m5/6 and the one standout factor is how high quality the interiors of those cars are. The materials can compete with anything ive ever been in, and it makes a big difference since you spend a lot of time in the car.

So my goals were to use the m5/6 and e9x m3 as a benchmark to see where this car is as far as tech and quality.

First Impressions

The size of the m3 is perfect for what it is, which is a DD sedan that you can carve up some roads with and take to the track. Great amount of rear seat room, and the proportions are excellent in person.

Austin yellow is HORRIBLE in person. I absolutely hate it and it almost made it hard for me to tell how the m3 looked because I hated the color so much.

Mineral gray is a nice color, looks good in person (m4). Looks good with the CF roof.

Both black and silver wheels look good in person, but I still prefer ZCP style wheels.

The interior in Sonoma Beige is unbelieveable.

The interior in black is very good, but not nearly as nice as the contrast from Sonoma beige.

The materials quality in the interior DESTROYS the e9x from the leather on the seats to the trim to the contrast stitching, to the amount of leather coverage, to the design of the seats. No comparison.

The interior is much different and much more impressive than an m sport 335 or 435 (also at the show). My GF who knows zero about cars commented on how different and much nicer the M interiors were and I didn't even bring this up.

The interior is comparable to the M5/6 interiors. The leather materials are very similar, and it feels very upmarket. Far more impressive than the RS5 interior which to me, was the benchmark in this segment before this M3.

Both cars had extended leather (not full) and it looked awesome. I would not order the full leather package unless it was almost the same price. The car looks very expensive and damn well made with the basic leather package.

Best seats ive sat in. im about 5-10 170 lbs and lean and these seats fit me perfectly. Seating position was very good and lower than the e9x m3. I would say if you were a little overweight or a bigger guy, these seats may be a little tight on you. But overall, huge improvement.

M4 trunk looks pretty badass with the CSL ducktail.

M3 looks better to my eye, love the fat fenders on the front and rear.

Wheelgap is not as bad in person, looks a touch lower than the stock non competition e9x m3

M4 does not appear to be too long in person as it does in some pics. Car looks good.

Both cars were much more impressive in person than in pictures.

Overall, I was damn impressed with the quality of the cars and I felt like it was a large improvement over the outgoing e9x in terms of quality and design. The tech is a lot better and the interior is a lot nicer. The exterior paint and design of the headlights and all looks very good in person.

These cars were getting a lot of attention at the show, as popular as anything else.

The car looks like it is easily a 70k car. It looks and feels very expensive and special. I was really impressed, I just wish the m3 was a better color and not baby puke yellow.

Loved it. May go back after work today to take another closer look.

Hope this helps

EDIT : I also noted that these cars had the HK stereo with the base leather package (some reports were that you had to go full leather to get HK, not the case). The design of the speakers looked really good with the interior (you can see on the door shot I took) and they sounded very good, I would definitely get this option. The new version of I-drive is also excellent and builds on the already excellent version in the LCI e9x m3. The gauges look very cool
You didn't like Austin yellow before you went though right?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Right, and I never really liked phoenix yellow either, so take my impressions of the color with a grain of salt.

There were some there that did really like it. I just prefer lighter and more understated colors.

For example, my color choice will either be a white or SS II and the outsider pick would be BSM.
      01-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Quote:
Right, and I never really liked phoenix yellow either, so take my impressions of the color with a grain of salt.

There were some there that did really like it. I just prefer lighter and more understated colors.

For example, my color choice will either be a white or SS II and the outsider pick would be BSM.
Yeah my e90 is SS it's a great color, has a blue hue almost. Did you get a side camera shot of M3?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah my e90 is SS it's a great color, has a blue hue almost. Did you get a side camera shot of M3?
No almost about it. Quite a bit of blue in SSII

OP: nice write up. Can't wait to go tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
M4Trojan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 ZCP

Great review. Sounds like the cars are very promising!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Thanks Kenny, I headed to the DC show shortly and will be posting videos and pics as well. Is that the beige interior or silver stone?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

thanks for the review!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

If the actual cars reviewed are in the photos then none of those cars have Extended Leather, and other than the door handles and center console pad, the leather content is the same as in any 3-Series.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
No almost about it. Quite a bit of blue in SSII

OP: nice write up. Can't wait to go tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Trojan View Post
Great review. Sounds like the cars are very promising!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deal View Post
Thanks Kenny, I headed to the DC show shortly and will be posting videos and pics as well. Is that the beige interior or silver stone?
sure thing guys, you really all need to see it in person if you can. it was different than I expected, in a good way!

it was the Sonoma beige. it looks a little washed out in the pics, its more caramel in color in person. looks damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
thanks for the review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If the actual cars reviewed are in the photos then none of those cars have Extended Leather, and other than the door handles and center console pad, the leather content is the same as in any 3-Series.
I don't know what that means.

it is the basic leather option, which in this case is extended. on the m3, the full leather is the one with the leather dash etc.

in the case of 435 vs m4, the door panels look nothing alike, more leather stitching and leather on the door pulls.

the quality of the leather is extremely different, and the materials quality in general is much better. the seats are also 10000x better in comfort, leather material, and looks. the trim also looks a lot better.

the overall impact is that it looks different and a hell of a lot nicer.

I saw them in person side to side, and this was my and many other peoples impressions FWIW.
      01-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
They all have extended leather, but they do not have full leather. They also have Merino leather, which is much, much nicer than the Dakota in a regular three series.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

it was the Sonoma beige. it looks a little washed out in the pics, its more caramel in color in person. looks damn good.
Yes, your pics are pretty overexposed, which will happen - guessing an iPhone?

In any event, may end up changing my mind about SS interior. If I read you on the color, I had a very similar color on my 2004 V70R. How would you say it compares (I'll find out tomorrow anyway - And you want to talk about some comfy seats!!!)

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They all have extended leather, but they do not have full leather. They also have Merino leather, which is much, much nicer than the Dakota in a regular three series.
yes it is. its also much nicer than what is in my e92.

Quote:
Yes, your pics are pretty overexposed, which will happen - guessing an iPhone?

In any event, may end up changing my mind about SS interior. If I read you on the color, I had a very similar color on my 2004 V70R. How would you say it compares (I'll find out tomorrow anyway - And you want to talk about some comfy seats!!!)

yes iphone

not as light as that. more of a caramel color. be interested to see what you think of it tomorrow.

I may go back tomorrow AM to see them again now that I have had some time to think about the car, and maybe I can notice some more details.
      01-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
yes it is. its also much nicer than what is in my e92.

yes iphone

not as light as that. more of a caramel color. be interested to see what you think of it tomorrow.

I may go back tomorrow AM to see them again now that I have had some time to think about the car, and maybe I can notice some more details.
OK.

That pic is maybe a shade lighter than reality, but sounds like Sonoma is even a shade darker than that.

Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

This is about leather content, not about quality.

What this means is that, if Extended Leather is just door handles and a add-on pad covered in the center console then that's not what it used to be Extended Leather at all. Extended Leather used to be the bottom dash and most of the center console (both in the E46 and in the E90/E92 M3) covered in leather.

Those two small parts covered in leather now are the only difference between a "normal" Leather option in an F30 and these photos of a F80. If that is "Extended" then that is a misnomer to get the impression of something more that what it used to be and simply it is not anymore.

The same then with the "Full Leather". Full Leather is "full" as in full dash, door panels and center console. That's not what these M3/M4 are showing. What they are showing is something more than Extended but much less than Full -as the door panels and center console are not fully covered in leather. The estimated prices of these Extended and Full Leather options can tell us that these are in fact not what it used to be - a real Extended Leather used to be a $2000 option and now for the F80/F82 is the same price as the just Leather option ($950) in the E90/E92 M3. This new "Full" Leather is the same price of what it used to be Extended.

It seems like a good deal, but a great deal would have been getting the real thing for less. Or just get me the real thing for what it is because the mismatch in textures and materials -especially at the door panels in the Full Leather- is just not nicely done. But that's not the way BMW does things, I guess.

Try looking at an M5 differences in "Full" and "Extended" leather and you will know what I am talking about in coverage and in price. And by the way, there was a Full Leather interior option for the E90/E92 M3 only available thru Individual -$10,625 quoted.

And yes, Merino is nicer that Dakota. But if you compare Merino directly with Novillo (E90/E92 M3) and even with Nappa (E46 M3) you will have a hard time determining which one is what if they are not labeled as such.

Quote:

I don't know what that means.

it is the basic leather option, which in this case is extended. on the m3, the full leather is the one with the leather dash etc.

in the case of 435 vs m4, the door panels look nothing alike, more leather stitching and leather on the door pulls.

the quality of the leather is extremely different, and the materials quality in general is much better. the seats are also 10000x better in comfort, leather material, and looks. the trim also looks a lot better.

the overall impact is that it looks different and a hell of a lot nicer.

I saw them in person side to side, and this was my and many other peoples impressions FWIW.
Appreciate 0