Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

Closed Thread

02-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

US order sheets, new timeline?

Just checking if Jason or the dealers here has received the specific dates yet. End of January is gone and Feb is already here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate maximum time to play around with the options and numbers prior to submitting the order.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

We just heard mid-February. But, hopefully it comes earlier.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
We just heard mid-February. But, hopefully it comes earlier.
Thanks for the update! Mid-Feb is ok. Just two weeks out.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
messm6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

I don't understand the delay. Every other market has it.. It went from end of January/ early February to mid February now.. It just fuels all these useless threads about nonsense while everyone waits..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Not sure I understand why the delay with releasing the pricing guides. Are they rethinking the packages or package costs? What's the hold up now that the cars have had the official unveiling and now made several appearances at various auto shows?

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
messm6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Not sure I understand why the delay with releasing the pricing guides. Are they rethinking the packages or package costs? What's the hold up now that the cars have had the official unveiling and now made several appearances at various auto shows?
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #7
sharifm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00
So true. They killed the momentum and enthusiasm.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
If I had to guess, yes.

I don't like it any more than the next guy, but I suppose it takes a lot of number juggling to give us the cheapest prices on the face of the earth while maximizing their returns.

Personally, I would settle for pricing at some undetermined time in the future just to know today exactly, beyond all doubt, with no errors or mistakes, what the standard equipment and option packages/equipment will actually be.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Or maybe they are reading this forum and gauging our reaction. Because a lot of you smart guys were so happy with the pricing, now they are going to add 1k to each package!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

I do wonder if they read these forums. It would be cool if we had the power to influence their decisions. First thing I'd want is more color options. We should start petitions!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
If I had to guess, yes.

I don't like it any more than the next guy, but I suppose it takes a lot of number juggling to give us the cheapest prices on the face of the earth while maximizing their returns.

Personally, I would settle for pricing at some undetermined time in the future just to know today exactly, beyond all doubt, with no errors or mistakes, what the standard equipment and option packages/equipment will actually be.
I have to agree that it is very possible

I will be good and pissed off if when push comes to shove, the base price doesn't include nav, power seats, cf trim, etc.....

I would be lying if I said I didn't think it was a possibility. A very bad one at that.
      02-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I have to agree that it is very possible

I will be good and pissed off if when push comes to shove, the base price doesn't include nav, power seats, cf trim, etc.....

I would be lying if I said I didn't think it was a possibility. A very bad one at that.
I'm just going to hope they are adding standard 19s like the UK
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I do wonder if they read these forums.
Yes, BMW employees are known to read or have read these forums in the past. That said, I don't know how much time they spend, what their positions might be, nor how much influence they may have over decisions made within the company.

Quote:
It would be cool if we had the power to influence their decisions. First thing I'd want is more color options. We should start petitions!
Color choices are set for MY2015, but for the future, who knows. I suspect they have plans and such plans probably take emerging trends into consideration so at that level we are already having some degree of influence whether we know it or not. However, it is likely that most color additions will come in the form of limited, special release runs.

On the other hand, stand alone option availability and package contents are likely more on "demand" or at least "just in time" sort of decisions. It comes down to pushing the average transaction price as high as possible without outright giving the product away (or, on the other side of the coin, without pushing prospective buyers out of the market).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #14
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

My two cents...As many of you know I have been working to lead a group of F8x buyers in a customer initiative to setup a huge group ED around US launch at the Welt. Based on cumulative feedback with many conversations I had with BMW clients and dealer community around the country this is my take.

1- BMW is up against a lot of new and redesigned valid competition in the coming year. Many sport models with identical or lesser pricing will dilute sales numbers regardless of how hot the new M car will be. Namely the C7, Z-28, Ghibli, C-63, Jag F-type, IS-F Sport, RS-5, and Boxster S have all evolved and more or less within 10k of each other on comparable build. I have driven most of the cars on the list and very familiar with the offerings of all while deciding on M4. BMW May be taking a hard look at total pricing of base an options to differentiate in the market a bit more which would be good news for us. Regardless of opinions about cars I can't remember a time in last 10 years when M3 has had so many realistic direct contenders.

2- Notable concern has been expressed around type of options, packaging, and pricing of the Options. Constraints regarding HUD, Comfort Access, LED, color options, wheels, etc will impact buying decisions and avg price of builds. The All or nothing exec pkg approach for example versus having HUD, comfort access as standalone could leave thousands of dollar on the table for avg sale price.

3- BMW is very much interested in moving as many of these units as possible in the first year. A lot of effort to bring car to market and bills to be paid to get a good return while making customers very happy with product. So serious thinking even with days from announcement is a feasible reality and welcome perception from me. An aggressive pricing strategy, preferable finance and leasing options will go a long way to make the car a huge hit and be a higher volume car than in the past.

4- Related to 3, one of the best ways to create hype and stir sales is whether or not cars will come from US Dealer allocations for ED. if they will not come from allocations and incredible cut rate pricing is given for an ED there will be a crush at the Welt. So much that even folks with no time would fly out and drop off after welt to get back home next day for the savings. Welt deliveries are huge to create buzz and happy customers. Most importantly is that all ED customers an get their are faster and not subject to limits on Dealer allocations.

5- Lastly related to all of the above, getting the M out in full force this summer to the streets will put BMW on the map and dominate the performance market buzz driving further sales to those not as connected to info. Along with M235i this can and should be a great year for M division. I for one can't wait to be a part of the whole experience.
      02-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

I hope they are using this time to consider making 18 inch wheel style as optional black 19 inch wheel for US market.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
If I had to guess, yes.

This exactly! I'm not so concerned at this point in see the package prices as I am to see what exactly will be standard and what will be the standalone options and the option packages.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
My two cents...As many of you know I have been working to lead a group of F8x buyers in a customer initiative to setup a huge group ED around US launch at the Welt. Based on cumulative feedback with many conversations I had with BMW clients and dealer community around the country this is my take.

1- BMW is up against a lot of new and redesigned valid competition in the coming year. Many sport models with identical or lesser pricing will dilute sales numbers regardless of how hot the new M car will be. Namely the C7, Z-28, Ghibli, C-63, Jag F-type, IS-F Sport, RS-5, and Boxster S have all evolved and more or less within 10k of each other on comparable build. I have driven most of the cars on the list and very familiar with the offerings of all while deciding on M4. BMW May be taking a hard look at total pricing of base an options to differentiate in the market a bit more which would be good news for us. Regardless of opinions about cars I can't remember a time in last 10 years when M3 has had so many realistic direct contenders.

2- Notable concern has been expressed around type of options, packaging, and pricing of the Options. Constraints regarding HUD, Comfort Access, LED, color options, wheels, etc will impact buying decisions and avg price of builds. The All or nothing exec pkg approach for example versus having HUD, comfort access as standalone could leave thousands of dollar on the table for avg sale price.

3- BMW is very much interested in moving as many of these units as possible in the first year. A lot of effort to bring car to market and bills to be paid to get a good return while making customers very happy with product. So serious thinking even with days from announcement is a feasible reality and welcome perception from me. An aggressive pricing strategy, preferable finance and leasing options will go a long way to make the car a huge hit and be a higher volume car than in the past.

4- Related to 3, one of the best ways to create hype and stir sales is whether or not cars will come from US Dealer allocations for ED. if they will not come from allocations and incredible cut rate pricing is given for an ED there will be a crush at the Welt. So much that even folks with no time would fly out and drop off after welt to get back home next day for the savings. Welt deliveries are huge to create buzz and happy customers. Most importantly is that all ED customers an get their are faster and not subject to limits on Dealer allocations.

5- Lastly related to all of the above, getting the M out in full force this summer to the streets will put BMW on the map and dominate the performance market buzz driving further sales to those not as connected to info. Along with M235i this can and should be a great year for M division. I for one can't wait to be a part of the whole experience.
My guess would be that the do not want this to be happening and they would prefer that ED is being done for those that truly want to experience a European Delivery and vacation. While people do the quick turnaround time currently I don't think BMW is looking to increase that number.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00
Quote:

My guess would be that the do not want this to be happening and they would prefer that ED is being done for those that truly want to experience a European Delivery and vacation. While people do the quick turnaround time currently I don't think BMW is looking to increase that number.
Valid point but if sales numbers and happy customers who were able to not be priced out of market are now able to play then it's still a win win in my eyes. Ultimately is about brand loyalty and this is a great way of getting there
      02-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My two cents...

Based on cumulative feedback with many conversations I had with BMW clients and dealer community around the country this is my take.

1- BMW is up against a lot of new and redesigned valid competition in the coming year.

Regardless of opinions about cars I can't remember a time in last 10 years when M3 has had so many realistic direct contenders.
While I don't necessarily agree that all of the models you listed (and I've trimmed for brevity) are having an impact, certainly there is the increased pressure from more manufacturers this time around and they really need to nail the pricing/packaging as part of their efforts to fend those competitors off.

Quote:
Although this is nothing new per se (with every new release comes new options grouping and there's always a degree of dissatisfaction), I agree that this is exactly the area where they are likely to be working on the balancing act very carefully.

Building on your example, while it's true that no stand-alone CA (just as it was for the first four or five years of E9x M3 production, FWIW) could mean lower sell through on that option, including the choice to order CA ad-hoc could also mean lower sell through on the package. So it's definitely a numbers game.

Very jealous of the whole ED pilgrimage, by the way. What an incredible opportunity. I have done ED before - back in 2006 for the wife's 335i sedan, and it was one of the most thrilling experiences I've ever had. And this was pre-Welt, even. If I do buy a new F8x, it's going to be ED for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #20
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215
I hope they are using this time to consider making 18 inch wheel style as optional black 19 inch wheel for US market.
+1

I also think they might be considering breaking down the exec package. Seems like a lot of people opting out because of price. Also think they are figuring out how many allocations to give to each individual dealership. Must be a lot of work

Btw. The us m235 order guide came out over a month after every other market
      02-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
per my source - they are still grouping packages and adjusting pricing. They will revealed later this month.
      02-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:

I agree with most of this. while I think they will keep HUD as part of the executive package as a way to really tempt people into it, I think they may consider offering comfort access a la carte. comfort access and HUD together aren't enough to tempt me to buying the Exec pkg, but if I could get comfort access standalone, that's another $500 (or whatever they charge) that they'll get from my pocket. Same if they were to offer HUD - another $1,200 from my pocket - but I doubt they will.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread