Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Wdh777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Competition Package M5

Driver Assistance Package

This package references side and top cameras. Are these really cameras that you can view from the main screen or are they really sensors that are used to assist in the lane disruption and other items in the package? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Both! Yes, they are real cameras and the sensors assist with the other options in the package.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Both! Yes, they are real cameras and the sensors assist with the other options in the package.
Nope.

The side and too view camera system uses cameras mounted in the front clip, just outside the parking sensors, cameras in the mirrors and the camera in the rear plate.

The camera for the assist systems lives at the top of the windshield and is dedicated for those systems only.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Nope.

The side and too view camera system uses cameras mounted in the front clip, just outside the parking sensors, cameras in the mirrors and the camera in the rear plate.

The camera for the assist systems lives at the top of the windshield and is dedicated for those systems only.
I know where the cameras are mounted, but that wasn't his question. His question was whether or not the content can be viewed on the main screen, and the answer to that is YES (....and it can be viewed in motion once coded, although it's pointless as all you'll see is scenery passing by)! The second part of my response was in reference to the sensors; they do assist with the Blind Spot feature. The front camera mounted by the rearview mirror is used for Active Cruise Control and Lane Departure.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-10-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nope.

I know where the cameras are mounted, but that wasn't his question. His question was whether or not the content can be viewed on the main screen, and the answer to that is YES (....and it can be viewed in motion once coded)! The second part of my response was in reference to the sensors; they do assist with the lane detection feature. The front camera mounted by the rearview mirror is used for Active Cruise Control.
No, they don't. The only feed for the safety systems is from the windshield mounted camera. They do not Use the cameras that generate the images for the top view. My F10 has lane departure, etc, but not top view cameras.

You are correct that the top view projects an image on the screen of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
No, they don't. The only feed for the safety systems is from the windshield mounted camera. They do not Use the cameras that generate the images for the top view. My F10 has lane departure, etc, but not top view cameras.

You're mixing up my points. My only initial point was that yes, the top view AND the side view cameras CAN and DO project images. I have seen it in coded 335i's. I know what I'm talking about.

As for Blind Spot Detection......

....How would a windshield mounted camera alert me to a car in my rear blind spot???? Logically it wouldn't! The rear PDC sensors determine that there is a car there and the little triangle on the mirror illuminates. I've played around with many 335i's with these features (..most of them coded). It may differ in the 5, but I know what I'm talking about with a 3. We have full blown 'Coding Meets' and I've seen what the car can and can't do once coded.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-10-2014 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're mixing up my points. My only initial point was that yes, the top view AND the side view cameras CAN and DO project images. I have seen it in coded 335i's. I know what I'm talking about.

As for Blind Spot Detection......

....How would a windshield mounted camera alert me to a car in my rear blind spot???? Logically it wouldn't! The rear PDC sensors determine that there is a car there and the little triangle on the mirror illuminates. I've played around with many 335i's with these features (..most of them coded). It may differ in the 5, but I know what I'm talking about with a 3. We have full blown 'Coding Meets' and I've seen what the car can and can't do once coded.
Look, I'm not here to get into a debate. Your initial post said that they assist with the other systems. They do not. That was my only point, that the side and top view cameras are not incorporated into any of the safety or assist systems. They are for providing the images in the display only.

The blind spot assist uses radar sensors in the rear bumpers. It does not use any cameras at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Look, I'm not here to get into a debate. Your initial post said that they assist with the other systems. They do not. That was my only point, that the side and top view cameras are not incorporated into any of the safety or assist systems. They are for providing the images in the display only.

The blind spot assist uses radar sensors in the rear bumpers. It does not use any cameras at all.
If I weren't already bald, you'd make me pull my hair out. LOL!

I should have been more clear in my initial post, so I take responsibility for the lack of articulation. I was essentially saying that there are both real cameras and sensors (..and I attempted to clarify the angle for which I was approaching his initial inquiry in post #4).

...and yes, I'm well aware that Blind Spot detection uses the radars (..as stated in post #6).

Now come here and gimme a hug!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
If I weren't already bald, you'd make me pull my hair out. LOL!

I should have been more clear in my initial post, so I take responsibility for the lack of articulation. I was essentially saying that there are both real cameras and sensors (..and I attempted to clarify the angle for which I was approaching his initial inquiry in post #4).

...and yes, I'm well aware that Blind Spot detection uses the radars (..as stated in post #6).

Now come here and gimme a hug!
Here you go
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

What I'm curious about with the Driver Assistance Package is if the Collision Mitigation includes Active Braking. (And, if so, do you need to get the Active Cruise Control to have that feature?) Or is it just the warning bell with no autobrake.

I have seen different things from BMW depending on the source and the model. I also saw or read somewhere that BMW's autobrake for 2014 models would be improved upon 2013s, in that with the older system, the autobrake target has to have been moving first for it to be able to recognize it.

Does anyone know what is being implemented for F8x?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post
What I'm curious about with the Driver Assistance Package is if the Collision Mitigation includes Active Braking. (And, if so, do you need to get the Active Cruise Control to have that feature?) Or is it just the warning bell with no autobrake.
It's a good question and I don't know the answer, but regarding your secondary query about Active Cruise, that isn't even an option for the F8x. So if it turns out that Active Braking indeed requires that, then that answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9

I have seen different things from BMW depending on the source and the model. I also saw or read somewhere that BMW's autobrake for 2014 models would be improved upon 2013s, in that with the older system, the autobrake target has to have been moving first for it to be able to recognize it.

Does anyone know what is being implemented for F8x?
I have no idea, but I can't really see it being any different on the F8X.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Driver assists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdh777 View Post
This package references side and top cameras. Are these really cameras that you can view from the main screen or are they really sensors that are used to assist in the lane disruption and other items in the package? Thanks
I'm waiting for curb feelers...hell with Parking Assist and side cameras. If BMW Performance came out with some carbon ones I'd be all over that!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 1
theoluv21.00
      02-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's a good question and I don't know the answer, but regarding your secondary query about Active Cruise, that isn't even an option for the F8x. So if it turns out that Active Braking indeed requires that, then that answers your question.
Active Cruise is listed as $1200 option on the US Military oder spec sheet:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=935117

On the BMW UK builder, it's a free standard option: Cruise control with brake function

I'm assuming that's the "Active Cruise Control" - it's an option on the 4 series:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_control.html
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I'm waiting for curb feelers...hell with Parking Assist and side cameras. If BMW Performance came out with some carbon ones I'd be all over that!

What what?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
What what?
Showing my age!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Interesting info but we can't trust the military guide since it is all estimates and best guesses.

Dynamic Cruise Control is what is standard in the UK and elsewhere, with no Active Cruise option. It does include minimal braking capability, but it's a feature BMW cruise has had for some time. Though the E9x M3 did not have the brake function which may be why the UK guide calls it out.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536967

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post
Active Cruise is listed as $1200 option on the US Military oder spec sheet:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=935117

On the BMW UK builder, it's a free standard option: Cruise control with brake function

I'm assuming that's the "Active Cruise Control" - it's an option on the 4 series:
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Ok is this package a waste on such a small car? Also the ugly triangles in the mirrors?

In the M5
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdh777 View Post
don't buy driver assist package...don't need them...If you need driver assist, maybe an M car isn't for you. just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #21
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Just this week I added ZDB Driver Assistance Plus package. I was going to get the top and side view cameras because I have to park my car in-between the lines. Often times I get out of my car only to get back into park it again. So the top and side view cameras will help.

I also have HUD, and I thought having the speed limit displayed on the HUD next to my current speed is good, as it will remind me I am speeding all the time. I am not crazy about the other nanny features. I test drove a 5 Series with these features and all of them can be turned off and they stay off between starts except the collision mitigation. So I am okay with that.

If you are interested in how all the ZDB features work, you can read about them in the 3 Series user manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #22
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin
Just this week I added ZDB Driver Assistance Plus package. I was going to get the top and side view cameras because I have to park my car in-between the lines. Often times I get out of my car only to get back into park it again. So the top and side view cameras will help.

I also have HUD, and I thought having the speed limit displayed on the HUD next to my current speed is good, as it will remind me I am speeding all the time. I am not crazy about the other nanny features. I test drove a 5 Series with these features and all of them can be turned off and they stay off between starts except the collision mitigation. So I am okay with that.

If you are interested in how all the ZDB features work, you can read about them in the 3 Series user manual.
So M3/M4 will collision prevention?
Appreciate 0