E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bumper repair needed thanks to other inconsiderate people...

02-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Bumper repair needed thanks to other inconsiderate people...

I live in a complex of flat, with communal parking. Often I have to park in an "overflow/visitors" section if our space is taken with my other half's car. I also work from home a lot without driving my car for 2-3 days occasionally. I have just been out and seen that someone has obviously come out of the parking space next to me and taken the turn too tight, and scraped along the front offside edge of my bumper. It hasn't done too much damage but the paint has been taken off on the crease of the bumper and it has gone down to the bumper in a thin line, about 12 inches long. Also below that there is a small scuff but i think that will polish out.

I understand that these things happen, but i'm pretty annoyed that they didn't leave a note.

Anyway, what are my best and cheapest options for getting it repaired? I don't want a repair that will be visible, or at least, I want one that is as non visible as possible, something that won't devalue the car too much, if at all. Are these "chips away" types any good on plastic bumpers etc?
Otherwise would I be better to look for a replacement bumper? Don't know if thats too extreme for a little thing like this but I do take pride in it so don't mind doing that if it would be best?
Or any other suggestions? Car is Le Mans Blue E92 M Sport

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
All Taken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I live in a complex of flat, with communal parking. Often I have to park in an "overflow/visitors" section if our space is taken with my other half's car. I also work from home a lot without driving my car for 2-3 days occasionally. I have just been out and seen that someone has obviously come out of the parking space next to me and taken the turn too tight, and scraped along the front offside edge of my bumper. It hasn't done too much damage but the paint has been taken off on the crease of the bumper and it has gone down to the bumper in a thin line, about 12 inches long. Also below that there is a small scuff but i think that will polish out.

I understand that these things happen, but i'm pretty annoyed that they didn't leave a note.

Anyway, what are my best and cheapest options for getting it repaired? I don't want a repair that will be visible, or at least, I want one that is as non visible as possible, something that won't devalue the car too much, if at all. Are these "chips away" types any good on plastic bumpers etc?
Otherwise would I be better to look for a replacement bumper? Don't know if thats too extreme for a little thing like this but I do take pride in it so don't mind doing that if it would be best?
Or any other suggestions? Car is Le Mans Blue E92 M Sport

Thanks a lot
Smart repair will sort this a treat for no more than £90 or you could use a body shop for about £120. Smart repair is normally guaranteed and if you're not happy with the job simply don't pay. If you go to a body shop do not accept that they'll be 'blowing in to the arches' to get the match as nowadays any professional can match a panel without needing to blow in. If it were me I'd go the smart repair route as it's exactly the type of job their systems are designed for. Good luck and sorry to hear about the car, dashcam is ideal in the future.

Last edited by All Taken; 02-12-2014 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

I had a similar experience in a hotel car park, someone drove into my rear bumper, damaged the paint and creased it, no note left.

I rang round a few places and got some quotes, surprisingly my local BMW dealer price matched the labour rate but couldn't move on the parts/materials. I went with BMW and they did an amazing job. One thing to note though is my BMW dealership has its own in house body shop and they don't out source any work. They did have the car for 2-3 days but they don't use thin paint, allow proper drying time, the colour match is spot on and you get 3/5 year paint guarantee for the area they re-sprayed.

Prior to that I had my front bumper partly re-sprayed by an indie and the paint is so thin it has stone chipped really badly in that area, wont be going down that route again.

My car is also LMB
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Can I ask how much the BMW dealer cost? My local does have a bodyshop too I think, so would be interested to know.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

sorry I miss read, thought you said it had creased your bumper
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

No its just a respray I need basically, the bumper structure isn't damaged from what I can see
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

In total I paid about 350, that was to have my bumper removed, reshaped and full respray, most indie places wanted 280/290.

if you have a garage or somewhere to store your car you could take the bumper off yourself and drop it off and ask them to respray it
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

A friendly place after explaining it was damage and no note left etc may do it for £150.
Appreciate 0