E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A warning and some thoughts about ethics

02-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

A warning and some thoughts about ethics

After this horrific winter in the Northeast and the complete destruction of all the roads on the eastern seaboard, I guarantee there are going to be lots of sets of rims for sale this Spring where one or two have " a hairline crack" or two, and will be advertised for a low price and probably with the caveat that "they can be fixed by a good repair shop". It is VERY risky to drive on rims that have cracked and been repaired. And for those who are selling cracked rims, please make sure that you will be able to live with the potential liability issue or at the very least, with the knowledge that you have sold something to a stranger which may put them in danger.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

This is why I have no understanding of why the roads in Socal are so bad, we have mild weather all year and crews able to repair the roads 365 days a year, not to mention the most expensive registration fees ever and the roads are still a shit fest.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjasper View Post
After this horrific winter in the Northeast and the complete destruction of all the roads on the eastern seaboard, I guarantee there are going to be lots of sets of rims for sale this Spring where one or two have " a hairline crack" or two, and will be advertised for a low price and probably with the caveat that "they can be fixed by a good repair shop". It is VERY risky to drive on rims that have cracked and been repaired. And for those who are selling cracked rims, please make sure that you will be able to live with the potential liability issue or at the very least, with the knowledge that you have sold something to a stranger which may put them in danger.
I second this. Sometimes things break and we have to bin them instead of cashing in. Scrap yards will always take broken, unsellable wheels at least.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Quote:

I like the way you think +1!!!

so if you live in new york, no one wants your f***** up rims lol!!!!!!!!!
including mine
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

OP is right, but it is too easy for people to sell this stuff through the internet. Buyer beware!
      02-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Nice to see things like this get posted online. It makes me remember that the internet is not completely full of shitheads all of the time…

Thanks for the great post.

As for the California question...probably because our ground shifts more often than we know. A LOT of roads are shitty up here in the Bay Area too.
      02-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
bartles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

So glad CO uses dirt and not salt. Id rather wash my car every week then replace bent rims or deal with tire blowouts from potholes. IL is pretty bad too tho...
      02-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

To your point, if you are going to cheap out and buy some in which you know should cost more you deserve what you get, this video has been shared here before but they show what happens to rims which are not made correctly. tune to 2:50. I can contest that I have taken out a number of tires because of pot hole over the years and the original rims held up, only one has a very slight bend it, so little they can still road force spin balance without an issue.

Last edited by Maestro; 02-24-2014 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i sapphire black stock;/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
Nice to see things like this get posted online. It makes me remember that the internet is not completely full of shitheads all of the time…

Thanks for the great post.

As for the California question...probably because our ground shifts more often than we know. A LOT of roads are shitty up here in the Bay Area too.
I agree Bay Area roads are the worst try highway 99 from lodi through Modesto and on it's ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
This is why I have no understanding of why the roads in Socal are so bad, we have mild weather all year and crews able to repair the roads 365 days a year, not to mention the most expensive registration fees ever and the roads are still a shit fest.
Cheap material and poor workmanship equates to shit roads anywhere. States and local municipalities more than often reward the lowest bidder the job. So add the variation in temps with salt here in the midwest and repair work that replaced only the top 3" of asphalt equates to an enormous pot-hole situation.

I have wheels for sale if anyone wants them

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I have sold so many things to so many of you on this forum, and I have excellent feedback.

I could never in clear conscience sell a shitty product or something I knew was broken or would compromise the safety of my customers- hell I've even discounted deep because I thought in hindsight the product I was selling wasn't worth the original price point I quoted.

Karma is a bitch- if you wouldn't put it on your own vehicle, don't sell it- simple.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

"- if you wouldn't put it on your own vehicle, don't sell it- simple."

Yup. Well said.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
TwinTuning
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335I

Quote:
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #14
CW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325E  [0.00]
I always wonder that when it comes to cracked wheels if it's such an "easy fix" then why not get it fixed before selling it??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #15
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

When I was looking for rims two different times the seller said their were no cracks and when I got their I found cracks.
One time I drove 3 hrs round trip only to find cracked rims. What a waste of time. The guy claimed he never noticed it, come on, really. The pictures he sent were of dirty rims and no close-up. Now I know why.
That's why I only buy rims I can see and touch.
I'm sure their are a lot of stories about people buying cracked rims that they only saw in a picture or website.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh- and one more thing. If you sell formerly cracked rims that have been repaired, how about a heads-up in the listing description? It doesn't really matter if you got them "fixed" or if the buyer is convinced that they have a reputable rim repair shop that swears they will be "good as new". The issue is the same- they might fail at any moment. And the underlying issue will always remain the same- they should have been sold for scrap.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
stupordave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
To your point, if you are going to cheap out and buy some which you know should cost more you deserve what you get, this video has been shared here before but they show what happens to rims with are not made correctly. tune to 2:50. I can contest that I have taken out a number of tires because of pot hole over the years and the original rims held up only on has very slight bend it, so little they can still road force spin balance without an issue.

Great video...had not seen that one before.
      02-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #18
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
I also find it confusing and annoying. But my scientific opinion is that socal roads are shitty for the same reason the public restroom toilet seat is, on average, cleaner than the escalator railing.
      02-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #19
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonWarrin View Post
I always wonder that when it comes to cracked wheels if it's such an "easy fix" then why not get it fixed before selling it??
Because "easy" isn't a synonym for "cheap", but these sellers are hoping that buyers will conflate the two. I had a smallish (~1/2") rim crack last year, and it cost $100 to repair. Not too bad, but it was on the inside edge, so the wheel did not need to be refinished. Probably would have been more like $300 or even more if it was on the face and required a re-powdercoat.

If someone is selling a set of wheels for $500-700, taking half of that out in repairs is certainly a sizable chunk. So while I wouldn't do it myself, I certainly understand the temptation to sell "as is" and let the buyer figure out how much the repair actually costs.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Quote:
The problem with your roads is not unique as roads are like this across the whole breadth of the U.S. The problem from the very beginning is our propensity to be cheap. Rather than construct a road like those in Germany where they place a solid foundation down first(much like a home's foundation w/ concrete and rebar), they instead compact dirt and stone instead as this is the most economical way to save money. Yes it would cost more if concrete were to be placed down, however fast forward say a decade maybe even three and likely the road would have had a minimal amount of repair in comparison to the way roads are built here in the U.S. today. That equates to savings in the long run. One must consider that going in, these construction companies and even the government KNOW that frequent repair costs will come into play down the road and sometimes, not soon after the road's been constructed. An example: About 6-7 months ago, I'd guess about 10-15 miles of highway was laid down near where I live. I'm on it every day and for the first few months that last leg of my journey home from work was great. Who doesn't enjoy a nice smooth road? Well just recently I've seen crews cracking the road open for whatever already and I just can't make any sense of it. It's a damned shame is what it is. America's roads suck.
      02-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
The problem with your roads is not unique as roads are like this across the whole breadth of the U.S. The problem from the very beginning is our propensity to be cheap. Rather than construct a road like those in Germany where they place a solid foundation down first(much like a home's foundation w/ concrete and rebar), they instead compact dirt and stone instead as this is the most economical way to save money. Yes it would cost more if concrete were to be placed down, however fast forward say a decade maybe even three and likely the road would have had a minimal amount of repair in comparison to the way roads are built here in the U.S. today. That equates to savings in the long run. One must consider that going in, these construction companies and even the government KNOW that frequent repair costs will come into play down the road and sometimes, not soon after the road's been constructed. An example: About 6-7 months ago, I'd guess about 10-15 miles of highway was laid down near where I live. I'm on it every day and for the first few months that last leg of my journey home from work was great. Who doesn't enjoy a nice smooth road? Well just recently I've seen crews cracking the road open for whatever already and I just can't make any sense of it. It's a damned shame is what it is. America's roads suck.
It IS true that Germany's roads are better for the very reason you suggest (good foundation). The problem is, we have wildly more road surface to cover than Germany, or really virtually any other country (I can think of a couple who have it worse, but have a much less developed roadway system as a result). Point being, it would cost an astronomical amount to have roads as good as Germany's. EDIT: For reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_network_size

Last edited by alexwhittemore; 02-24-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Kind of a weird post. It's like an insinuation that there are many bad people out there, aka stating the obvious. Can't the same be insinuated when people sell expired baby seats? My point is we don't need to talk about it.
Appreciate 0