GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Why twin turbos and not a single for the new M3 and M4?

Hi all,

I am not complaining about the fact that M Division went with the twin turbos for the S55, I am just curious on why they didn't go with a big single.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Hi all,

I am not complaining about the fact that M Division went with the twin turbos for the S55, I am just curious on why they didn't go with a big single.
Because it's much more efficient to get adequate CFM capabilities while retaining the the zero lag driving experience BMW prides itself on with a twin set up. The N55 used such a small turbo yes it spools amazing but it does not have the power potential they were looking for in the M cars.
Appreciate 0