F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 320d GT xDrive Modern (pics and comments)
ARMA SPEED

03-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

320d GT xDrive Modern (pics and comments)

I'm enjoying a lot my 320d GT xDrive Modern Lines!

As you can see, I decided to macht the inside and outside colours and create a sort of bright-dark contrast.

At the same time, the clear tones convey the idea of modernity and serenity I wanted to have.

I know that most people would prefer a sporty design, but that's just a matter of taste.

The space in the back seats is huge. As well as the trunk. I wave already carried a lot of boxes and bags without any difficulty.

Also, the system of folding the rear seats is really easy to manage. I use the folding seats to carry my two dogs, and the operation is quite smooth and fast.

The quality of materials and the finishing is very good. I'm very satisfied with the leather / fabric inserts in the doors and (heated) seats.

When I test drove, I did'n like very much the original sound system, so I opted for the hi-fi system. No regrets. Nicely balanced bass and bright treble. Obviously it's not the most powerful you could find, but delivers good quality for a reasonable price.

I found out that the parking system and rear camera are quite important if you live in a city with narrow streets and tiny parking places. Fortunately I ordered both.

The cockpit is impressive. Everytime I get into the car I say "waw!"

And everytime I look upwards I say again: "waw!"

The GPS Professional has a nice screen size and is easy to use. The lane indication in the instruments panel is another quite useful tool. Almost impossible to get lost. And you have lots of fun!

As the garage of my building is very, very, very narrow, folding side mirrors make a difference. The frameless doos also help me get in and out of the car more easily.

As I opted for several extras and had a limited budget, I decided to forget about xenon headligts. And made the mistake of forgetting to order the fog lights. Now I'm sure my car is unique!

Winter tyres will soon be replaced and I suppose the 18" turbine style wheels will look even nicer.

I have not much information as yet about the performance. I am driving smoothly so as not to force the engine before the first 2.000 km.

But I can't wait for a long weekend and the opportunity to travel in a highway. German Autobahns are not so far from here...

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Looks great, love the interior.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
orangebang
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive GT

I love the backgrounds in your full shot photos. Great photo journal you have going, and finally...nice car!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Enjoy.

I'm simultaneously very happy for you and at the same time a bit frustrated in that you got the version I wanted to order: 320d GT xDrive.
Unfortunately, here in NA (US) we are NOT ALLOWED to get the GT with a diesel engine! According the the dealers here that I have spoken with (as well as trying to "Build One" on the BMW website), taint in the cards for this side of the pond. Not for this year, nor next year's planned model.

I even proposed getting it as a ED, but they said it wouldn't fly, even though the same diesel engine is in the 328d sedan!
My loss, ENJOY it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335ix GT

Thanks for your write-up!

I really enjoyed your discussion and photos! Many happy miles (kilometers!) I am looking forward to another European Delivery experience in the fall, and your photos of your car and homeland are just beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM View Post
I'm simultaneously very happy for you and at the same time a bit frustrated in that you got the version I wanted to order: 320d GT xDrive.
Unfortunately, here in NA (US) we are NOT ALLOWED to get the GT with a diesel engine! According the the dealers here that I have spoken with (as well as trying to "Build One" on the BMW website), taint in the cards for this side of the pond. Not for this year, nor next year's planned model.

I even proposed getting it as a ED, but they said it wouldn't fly, even though the same diesel engine is in the 328d sedan!
My loss, ENJOY it.
ADM, did they say the reason for not allowing the 320d in the US? Just a market issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Thank you all for your nice comments!

I'll share two more thoughts on the car:

TRUNK

The other day I tested the real capacity of the trunk. I bought a brand new mounted sideboard (180 x 40 x 80cm), which came within its box. People at the store looked to the car and to me as if I was crazy - "that thing would never fit in there", they thought. One minute later, I opened the trunk, folded the rear seats and... voilà! Everybody smiled...

GEARBOX

In town, I've tried a couple of times to use the manual mode of the gearbox. I must confess that I soon changed back to drive, as I felt there was no real gain in going manual. Also, in long, straight highways I didn't see much of a difference between changing gears manually and using a kick-down in drive mode.

However, this weekend I went to the mountains and had the opportunity to use it in sport mode. I selected manual when making descending curves so as to explore a little bit of the 8-speed gearbox.

Although I didn't cross the 3500 rpm barrier (break-in period), the gear reductions were simply fantastic! The gear changing time is really short and you feel the car totally in your hands. Felt like Vettel.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Keyless
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i GT Xdrive

Very nice car and photos!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Customize81
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 M-sport/M-performance

Nice car!

Sweet interior
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
MikeMinh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i GT (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrasWien View Post

As the garage of my building is very, very, very narrow, folding side mirrors make a difference. The frameless doors also help me get in and out of the car more easily.

[/CENTER]
Did you know that some cars come with a form of Comfort Access for the rear doors?

Press the unlock button on the remote twice, when rear door is opened the window is lowered half down, making it easier to get in.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Felt like Vettel.
I am still to master the flappy paddles but will get there in some point.
KEEP DOGS AWAY FROM CAR/WHITE SEATS!

Nice car mate

Last edited by x-m4n; 03-12-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMinh View Post
Did you know that some cars come with a form of Comfort Access for the rear doors?

Press the unlock button on the remote twice, when rear door is opened the window is lowered half down, making it easier to get in.
Yes, I do, but I didn't order Comfort Access. In my narrow garage lowering the windows makes a HUGE difference!

Even without Comfort Access, if I press and hold the open button in the control, all windows are lowered until I hold the button pressed. Conversely, if I hold the close button it closes all windows and folds the rear mirrors. I suppose that this way the batteries of the remote will die sooner, but it's ok.

The manual mentions something related to the sunroof, but I didn't pay attention whether it will open/close together with the windows.

By the way, when I lock the car with the remote, no light blinks. Is there a way to configure them to blink in this situation?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
KEEP DOGS AWAY FROM CAR/WHITE SEATS!
Don't worry, I fold the rear seats down and cover them with a blanket for the dogs. I've always had dogs and light coloured seats in the car, without any problem (obviously, you must have extra care to avoid dirt).

At first, I was tempted to order the oyster/oyster interior, which is beautiful, but very difficult to keep clean. Later on I decided on the oyster/black interior which is more practical and quite nice as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
MikeMinh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i GT (F34)

Quote:
Yes, I do, but I didn't order Comfort Access. In my narrow garage lowering the windows makes a HUGE difference!
Mine doesn't have Comfort Access either, but I do have the function I described. It also shows up amongst settings on my Head Unit display, don't remember where exactly, but it does.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
Globe2c
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46 325Ci

Quote:
Don't worry, I fold the rear seats down and cover them with a blanket for the dogs. I've always had dogs and light coloured seats in the car, without any problem (obviously, you must have extra care to avoid dirt).

At first, I was tempted to order the oyster/oyster interior, which is beautiful, but very difficult to keep clean. Later on I decided on the oyster/black interior which is more practical and quite nice as well.
That sounds like a good solution for dogs, but small children are a different story. With a 4-year old and an infant, I wouldn't dream of getting a white interior car. However, I do think that white on white looks GREAT on your car. Congrats and thanks for posting the pictures and your thoughts on the car!! Can't wait for my 3GT (silver w/ black interior) to arrive at my dealer in the next couple weeks.

By the way, I'm assuming that the oyster is off-white/cream, as that's how it comes across in the photos. How would you describe it? That color doesn't seem to be available on the models sold in the US. Perhaps the Oyster interior is only available on the modern line, which is not sold in the US. (We only get the sport, luxury and m-sport lines.)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM View Post
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Enjoy.

My loss, ENJOY it.
Quote:
ADM, did they say the reason for not allowing the 320d in the US? Just a market issue?

The feedback I got was that it was an environmental/"license?" issue on getting the diesel engine here. WHen I questioned that it seemed to be contradictory since the same diesel engine was already coming to NA/US in the 328 sedan and 328 wagon, they had no response to that.

So I really do not understand why it couldn't be ordered as a ED and then brought over here.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe2c View Post
By the way, I'm assuming that the oyster is off-white/cream, as that's how it comes across in the photos. How would you describe it? That color doesn't seem to be available on the models sold in the US. Perhaps the Oyster interior is only available on the modern line, which is not sold in the US. (We only get the sport, luxury and m-sport lines.)
Thanks, Globe2c. The Oyster interior comes only with the Modern Line (just saw it in the austrian BMW website). The picture above that best describes the tone is the one of the back seats with the sunroof. Depending on the light, it looks a little bit like cream, with a yellowish tone. At first I was affraid that the mixture of leather with fabric in the seats would look cheap, but it doesn't, it looks pretty sophisticated and modern.

I wonder why the US doesn't get diesel and modern line 3er GTs...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Globe2c. The Oyster interior comes only with the Modern Line (just saw it in the austrian BMW website). The picture above that best describes the tone is the one of the back seats with the sunroof. Depending on the light, it looks a little bit like cream, with a yellowish tone. At first I was affraid that the mixture of leather with fabric in the seats would look cheap, but it doesn't, it looks pretty sophisticated and modern.

I wonder why the US doesn't get diesel and modern line 3er GTs...
I would absolutely love to learn why, or even better, what I (or we here in NA/US) could do as a "work around" to be able to do that!!!!!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

Americans can't handle it!

I asked my dealer why, after a year of having the base, Luxury, Modern, Sport and M Sport, BMW USA decided to not import any Modern line in the next model year (2014.) His answer: Americans got too confused between Luxury and Modern lines! So ending the "confusion" is not doing a better job of explaining the lines, their differences and marketing focus, but to discontinue the Modern line! It is apparently beyond our comprehension to grasp all this, so simply discontinue the Modern line so our minds will no longer be taxed so much. (Just taxed enough to write a check to BMW!)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:07 AM   #20
gedto
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC60

Are you happy with the standard Modern line seats? I was considering getting full leather with sport seats, but that's a lot of $ that could go into other stuff (panoramic sunroof, professional navigation system, HiFi...) if the fabric/leather seats are solid enough?

Could you share a closer look to those seats? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #21
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

Americans can't handle it! Part II

BMW believes Americans would perceive cars as "cheap" if offered with cloth upholstry. They certainly don't want that image, so we are offered only vinyl and leather. Regardless of lines, we are offered two seat choices: regular (base and Luxury) and sport (Sport and M Sport lines.) My first BMW, a 1984 model, had cloth upholstry- by choice- and I loved it. When time came to order my next Bimmer, cloth was not an option anymore. I wish I could order cloth seats!
Currently I have leather sport seats, and they are nice if perhaps a bit snug. I plan to order a 335i GT with the standard seats, with leather, in the fall.
I see you own a Volvo. I owed one and find they have the best seats in the business! Their V60 is beautiful! Volvo just now introduced that car over here, and I plan to see one soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #22
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedto View Post
Are you happy with the standard Modern line seats? I was considering getting full leather with sport seats, but that's a lot of $ that could go into other stuff (panoramic sunroof, professional navigation system, HiFi...) if the fabric/leather seats are solid enough?

Could you share a closer look to those seats? Thanks!
Gedto,

I had the same concerns: 1) full leather in Modern Line was too expensive and I could get nicer stuff for the same money; 2) I was afraid that leather/fabric would look cheap.

After seeing the seats in person I noticed that the fabric is of good quality, with some details that make it not look too simple. The ordinary seats are not so impressive as the sport seats, but this has nothing to do with the finishing fabric/leather. I am happy with them. In my opinion, I would not trade my professional GPS or the Panorama sun glass for the leather seats.

I'm in the middle of a holiday trip, so I might need some days to take the pics and put them on the website, ok?

By the way, reached yesterday 200 km/h in a german Autobahn. It's amazing how stable and powerful this car ist. And very economical when you drive in comfort or eco pro modes.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0