E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Baby seat suggestions for 2008 e90

03-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Baby seat suggestions for 2008 e90

Hi All, so I'm interested in learning about baby seats for a soon to be born baby

I'd like to use the power of the forums to get some insight on which infant baby seats would work best in the 2008 e90? It helps to learn both:
a) Which seats to avoid
b) Which seats are recommended

Since I'm sure some folks out in forum land will have ideas on both.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

For infants, the Chico Key Fit 30 works great. The base remains in the car and the carrier simply clips in and out. Once they grow out of that I would go with Recaro. I have the Recaro ProRide right now, it seems comfortable and it's not as large and bulky as some of the other seats.

On a side note, I grew up in Edison.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTIW View Post
For infants, the Chico Key Fit 30 works great. The base remains in the car and the carrier simply clips in and out. Once they grow out of that I would go with Recaro. I have the Recaro ProRide right now, it seems comfortable and it's not as large and bulky as some of the other seats.

On a side note, I grew up in Edison.
Awesome! A fellow former local hehehe

So should I just get the car seat only or get both the stroller and car seat?
http://www.chiccoshop.com/search?q=k...FTBk7AodhxkA7Q

Aside from color (I'm not a stylish kinda guy... I'm more about function than form) if you can gimmie a linky to the one you think is the best that would help (I'm sooooooo lost on this area). Will the Chico's base work in other strollers? What strollers are good as well (sorry for the bazillion questions)?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
BMBNCTA
Rep
Drives: '09 328i

Make sure you don't cheap out with baby seats. Also, depending how fast your little one will grow you may need a new seat within 18 months!!! The ones that hook into the strollers are great, I would recommend looking for one that when your baby grows out of the car seat that the stroller can at least still be utilized. I am sure all car seats come with LATCH equipment, but if not, ensure yours has it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMBNCTA View Post
Make sure you don't cheap out with baby seats. Also, depending how fast your little one will grow you may need a new seat within 18 months!!! The ones that hook into the strollers are great, I would recommend looking for one that when your baby grows out of the car seat that the stroller can at least still be utilized. I am sure all car seats come with LATCH equipment, but if not, ensure yours has it.
All good info, thank you... so if you were to buy one today, what would be your #1 choice (linky is also nice). I'm not concerned too much about the costs (I just nailed it with my FB and TSLA shares, so i got a nice chunk o change to drop on this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

We had a maxi-cosi priori and recaro conv that were used via rear-facing. Here are a few things to factor in. For the infant carrier, our boys out-grew it very quickly, within 6-8mths. Don't overspend on those...PLEASE DON'T! Conv seats will be used for the first few years. Make a good investment on a good one. If you're considering second-hand, make sure to check it's manufacturing date; there's a threashold of a six year life span before they're considered unsafe (some even imprint an expired date). The support and materials can wear down over time. Also, laws differ state-to-state. In TX, they''re now trying to encourage rear-facing till child is older than 2 (vs. 1yr old)... due to the neck not being as 'strengthen' to sustain an impact from a car accident.

Any other questions, feel free to hit me up.

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
BMBNCTA
Rep

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search

Here is one. I have used Britax for my daughter since day 1. Shop around. She'll be three in May. Time flies...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
We have both a Chicco key fit 30 and a Britax B-safe. The Britax is in my E90 and gets the most use. I really like it. We got the travel system that comes with the stroller as well. It's a pretty nice setup, and I've always found it easy to maneuver and set up. It folds down fairly small and fits nicely in an E90 trunk, too. When my daughter grows out of her infant seat (which will be a while, as she is petite) I plan on going with the Recaro seat.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
BMBNCTA
Rep

^

+1

oh yes. I can't wait for those seats

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
I have this one: http://www.evenflo.com/Products/Even...eats/Chase_LX/

He's 2 yo almost 3 and he loves it, we did a couple long trips and he doesn't complain that he's unconfortable. The harness is pretty easy to use and strong. He loves the two cup holders lol and it has a couple cool functions, look at the link.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

imho if you can use another car (say your wife has a SUV), that's the best. Because no matter how you slice or dice it, the baby seat will leave indentations in the car. But I get it, some lease so that's not an issue.

I would think that with a newborn the seat is one with the handle and rear facing. Rear facing takes up a lot of room. For whatever reason, we use Britax. In a way they're all the same, don't be fooled that higher $$$$ means safer, it doesn't. Remember before you go spending $400+, the newborn will likely outgrow the seat due to length in one year.

I'm not one for used, but my cousin is, since the child uses it for such a short time before moving onto the next. You might want to consider a travel system, i.e. one that has a stroller and the car seat in one package. And you also might want to consider an additional base if you're both going to be dropping the baby off. Congrats by the way!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamPT View Post
I have this one: http://www.evenflo.com/Products/Even...eats/Chase_LX/

He's 2 yo almost 3 and he loves it, we did a couple long trips and he doesn't complain that he's unconfortable. The harness is pretty easy to use and strong. He loves the two cup holders lol and it has a couple cool functions, look at the link.
OP has/will have a newborn....you didn't use this seat leaving the hospital, did you?

a) that would have been a gigantic baby at 22 lbs.
b) it would have been facing the wrong way
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post

I think so, but you might want to consider 3 wheels for maneuverability. With the sytem, you may move onto a new seat 12 mos. later, but you can still use the stroller.

A few tips: There are endless ways to save money with those baby stores--do a registry. Then with us, you get 15% off when you get a credit card, OR they price match the internet. 3 mos. down the line, whatever was bought off the registry will earn 10% store credit. It ended up being over $300 for us. There will be endless things that you get which are of no use, this is learned, actually, it's a continuous learning process. The stuff we returned added up to over $1,000. My fear is we lose the store cards with the credit before we spend them.

Your life will never be the same, in a good way. Suddenly whether or not your 335 gets 17.9 or 21.3 or 18.6 mpg doesn't really matter. And you get used to sleeping 2 hours a night.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post

I think so, but you might want to consider 3 wheels for maneuverability. With the sytem, you may move onto a new seat 12 mos. later, but you can still use the stroller.

A few tips: There are endless ways to save money with those baby stores--do a registry. Then with us, you get 15% off when you get a credit card, OR they price match the internet. 3 mos. down the line, whatever was bought off the registry will earn 10% store credit. It ended up being over $300 for us. There will be endless things that you get which are of no use, this is learned, actually, it's a continuous learning process. The stuff we returned added up to over $1,000. My fear is we lose the store cards with the credit before we spend them.

Your life will never be the same, in a good way. Suddenly whether or not your 335 gets 17.9 or 21.3 or 18.6 mpg doesn't really matter. And you get used to sleeping 2 hours a night.

p.s. breast feeding will save you a fortune (and good for the baby), and newborn diapers cost an arm and a leg--the sooner he/she gets into size 1 the better. imho Costco is your friend here....Huggies for 16 cents each size 1, although they do not carry newborn. Wal Mart did that, Pampers 28 cents each (OUCH). Costco Huggies when on sale for $6 off is the best deal around.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
We got the travel system that comes with the stroller as well. It's a pretty nice setup, and I've always found it easy to maneuver and set up. It folds down fairly small and fits nicely in an E90 trunk, too. When my daughter grows out of her infant seat (which will be a while, as she is petite) I plan on going with the Recaro seat.
Got that too, very common, see it all the time. My son is only 3 mos. but I think he will outgrow it by 12 mos., and so it becomes an expensive seat to use for such a short time. But being common is good, you can get the baby store to either price match the web, or even better, when they have a red hot deal, apply for a credit card to take another 15% off. What I learned with baby stuff is since they price match, there is NEVER a need to pay full price on anything...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #16
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
OP has/will have a newborn....you didn't use this seat leaving the hospital, did you?

a) that would have been a gigantic baby at 22 lbs.
b) it would have been facing the wrong way
Ahah you're right, i totally missed that part to be honest. Man i don't remember which seat it was lol OP 1 year from now read my post lol
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ahah you're right, i totally missed that part to be honest. Man i don't remember which seat it was lol OP 1 year from now read my post lol
LOL I thought the nurses followed you to the car to make sure you have proper equipment to leave the hospital, but I guess it varies by state. We were near clueless, although I installed the base properly (they claim 75% do not the first time around). The nurse said technically she is not allowed to help put the baby in the seat, but she did assist (I mean imagine how many babies they have dealt with in the last 30 years).....there was a hidden lever/release that I would have never found in a million years that handles the strap around the crotch area....fun times seriously....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
Infamy
underground
Rep
Drives: alpine white 335 E92

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [9.66]
I have a new born also only 13days old. I got the baby trends car seat stroller combo. Base stays in the car, u can attach car seat to stroller so it's real easy to transfer the car seat from stroller to the car. Very good quality. Car seat fits in the E92.
Attached Images

03-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #19
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamy View Post
I have a new born also only 13days old. I got the baby trends car seat stroller combo. Base stays in the car, u can attach car seat to stroller so it's real easy to transfer the car seat from stroller to the car. Very good quality. Car seat fits in the E92.
Awesome and Congrats! Since were both in Central NJ... maybe we can meet up and compare strollers/baby seats and come up with interesting ways to mod the baby gear
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #21
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

I don't have a kid but I want that recaro babyseat lol. That's sick. My friend had it in his evo and the color and stitching matched perfect to his front seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #22
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTIW View Post
For infants, the Chico Key Fit 30 works great. The base remains in the car and the carrier simply clips in and out.
That's what I have. Worked great. Going to move on to the Chicco nextfit.