GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Thumbs up Placing my order - help me decide?!

Well I am going in to place my order for a white M3 and could not be more excited! I have been waiting quite some time to jump to the M world (thus far owning a e46 330ci, e92 335, e90 335, two e90 328's-wife, a X6 and recently got the wife a 5GT which is the best family car we have owned to date.)
Though I am torn between the Alpine White and Mineral White Metallic. Anyone have any recommendations as to which tends to be better looking and/or look best overall given different circumstances (slightly dirty, care/maintenance, etc...) I did go look at the two colors in person and I think I am leaning toward AW as the MWM seems to have a dull hue to it and almost looked dirty even when clean?
Thank you and look forward to joining the ///M club!
Regards,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
KASM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Very subjective. MW is more of a pearl dull luster. I personally like the gloss of clean AW. I have had 2 now. If I were to go white again it would be AW.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I'm in a similar predicament. I have MW on my order but I don't feel sure about it. Many threads and pictures about this subject. My problem is worse though since I would not feel any more sure about AW, I like it but never loved it. It has quite a bit yellow undertone compared to other other flat whites and often look a bit plain. I think I would go SSII before AW. I also like AY and still consider it even if it's a bit loud. I wish there was a clean silver and mid blue available as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, that is the impression I got when comparing earlier today. I thought perhaps due to the rain we have had lately that the MW might have been slightly dirty but then realized it was the dullness nature of its color.
Just wanted to make certain it wasn't just my eyes playing tricks on me again in my old (mid 30's) age... lol
I have pretty much settled on AW.
Thanks again!
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASM3 View Post
Very subjective. MW is more of a pearl dull luster. I personally like the gloss of clean AW. I have had 2 now. If I were to go white again it would be AW.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
Yes, that is the impression I got when comparing earlier today. I thought perhaps due to the rain we have had lately that the MW might have been slightly dirty but then realized it was the dullness nature of its color.
Just wanted to make certain it wasn't just my eyes playing tricks on me again in my old (mid 30's) age... lol
Thanks again!
Chris
This aging thing makes picking a color difficult! I'll be 32 in a couple of months, and I have probably the last chance now to get a color of a young (wanabe young, I'll admit it freely.) person. I can't choose at all. I will probably end up with something I hate just because I can't commit to anyone of the options.

This being my biggest problem at the moment, I should be happy about the way my life has turned out, but instead I'm obsessing about this. Life is so cruel.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Thanks again!
Chris
Take it from someone who has spent a lot if time with the real F80 and seen the colors on a number of different Bimmers. AW is the best selling color for a good reason. Im doing AW/SO myself after reaching the conclusion that MW looks too dull in person and somehow looks much brighter in pictures. You will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Saw them both side by side at my dealership on a cloudy day, and I followed a Mineral white 6 series on the road this morning (very sunny). The MW seems to change a little depending on the light conditions. On the cloudy day, it was very difficult to distinguish between AW and MW. The MW seemed to have a little more depth. In bright sunlight, AW is definitely whiter, and the MW becomes a tiny bit off white reflecting the warmer tone of the sunlight... just a tiny bit though. By itself, it is still very white. But in sunlight, if you put it next to a AW, you can see difference.

I liked MW because I feel like it has a little more depth, it still very white, looks more expensive, and shows the lines of the car better than AW. Just my opinion though... if MW wasn't an option, I'd still be happy with AW.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Take it from someone who has spent a lot if time with the real F80 and seen the colors on a number of different Bimmers. AW is the best selling color for a good reason. Im doing AW/SO myself after reaching the conclusion that MW looks too dull in person and somehow looks much brighter in pictures. You will not regret it.
Wow! I have data to back up Suave's statement again! From our Group Tracking Survey thread:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Wow! I have data to back up Suave's statement again! From our Group Tracking Survey thread:
Yeah I am on a roll! Maybe my input into the Survey should be weighted higher
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
AW
      04-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
KevN27
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

A bit OT but

I wish they have LMB/IB. Best distinguishable M-Color that doesn't scream hey look at me(i.e. Austin Yellow, Smurf Blue..).

But yes, AW, it's also $550 less if that matters.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

alpine white is the choice. I have an aw m3 and I saw a MW 335i m sport coupe in the sunlight this morning, and it definitely is lexus like, and imo not fitting to the sportiness of the m3. too soft IMO

I do wish we had an option of monte carlo blue or Melbourne red. I think I would take either of those two over alpine white
      04-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's exactly what I was thinking about MW! I couldn't put my finger on it at the time but I knew it had a certain hue that looked familiar. Essentially my final thoughts were that the only time I thought MW looked ok was in certain light that made it look AW. So with that, AW it was! I placed my order yesterday and loaded it up with executive, lighting, led packages, as well as a CF roof, manual (of course hence my screen name) adaptive suspension, and AW/Black full leather interior with a few goodies added in. I haven't been this excited for my car order in quite some time.
We were going to do ED but I have my second little one due in early August, and thus timing could provide to be an issue as I may have two deliveries to juggle. But hey, it's not everyday you get to take delivery of a brand new F80 M3... I can always make another baby... Kidding, Kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
alpine white is the choice. I have an aw m3 and I saw a MW 335i m sport coupe in the sunlight this morning, and it definitely is lexus like, and imo not fitting to the sportiness of the m3. too soft IMO

I do wish we had an option of monte carlo blue or Melbourne red. I think I would take either of those two over alpine white
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking about MW! I couldn't put my finger on it at the time but I knew it had a certain hue that looked familiar. Essentially my final thoughts were that the only time I thought MW looked ok was in certain light that made it look AW. So with that, AW it was! I placed my order yesterday and loaded it up with executive, lighting, led packages, as well as a CF roof, manual (of course hence my screen name) adaptive suspension, and AW/Black full leather interior with a few goodies added in. I haven't been this excited for my car order in quite some time.
We were going to do ED but I have my second little one due in early August, and thus timing could provide to be an issue as I may have two deliveries to juggle. But hey, it's not everyday you get to take delivery of a brand new F80 M3... I can always make another baby... Kidding, Kidding
I'd be interested in knowing when your confirmed production date is going to be. I ordered my car on March 22nd and have a July 27th production date. I did Mineral White just to change up my whites a bit. My Porsche is basic white, so I figured I'd do a metallic for the F80. My 2nd child is also due in August, so a September PCD is probably better anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #15
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow congrats to you as well my friend! I will certainly let you know when my confirmed production date is. My dealer thus far only has 3 people on list with deposits, and they are typically pretty good at getting me info as soon as available.
Yes the MW seems to be the type of color that if you like a slight variation from plain white, or want a color that leaves people slightly guessing (hard to tell what color it is in certain lighting) then its certainly the color of choice.
I had a white couple many years ago and have wanted to get another white car ever sense so for me AW is the choice to fill my white car craving.
If I already had a car of similar nature, I'd probably go with MW as well.
Oh should mention Mineral White is an extremely great looking color on cabrio's. If you have a chance, take a look at one with the top down with a red interior. The contrast of the MW and red looked amazing in sun light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I'd be interested in knowing when your confirmed production date is going to be. I ordered my car on March 22nd and have a July 27th production date. I did Mineral White just to change up my whites a bit. My Porsche is basic white, so I figured I'd do a metallic for the F80. My 2nd child is also due in August, so a September PCD is probably better anyway.

Last edited by ChrisMT79; 04-10-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #16
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I was provided with this status update today from my dealer-

"It looks like production moved from late July to early June.
If all goes well, it should arrive early to mid July."

I hope this to be true, that would be excellent!
Chris
Appreciate 0