Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Coding question?

So I placed my order for my AW M3 and opted for essentially every package/option available. My question is, I used to do a lot of coding with Audi's due to a brief stint with an S4 (bought it new in, 2010 big mistake being the first model/year). Anyway, I have been researching and gathering the information to get my coding setup for BMWs, programs/hardware (Esys, enet cable, etc...) and was wondering which item would be able to be coded in as to avoid having to order them as part of a package?
My thoughts were outside of coding in watching DVDs in motion, auto unlock everything, etc... As opposed to needing to get the drivers assistance package- ($1900) you could select to get the top/side view cameras ($750) and code in the active blind spot/speed info etc...retrofitting as needed?
Just some random thinking.
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Blindspot detection requires special sensors and indicators in the mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What about Speed Limit Info?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashoutposse View Post
What about Speed Limit Info?
I believe that there is a camera that is added as part of the driver's assist package that is needed for the speed limit info. It is in the front windshield right in front of the rear view mirror. Without the package you can't get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Right. Is that the same camera as the one included with the LED Lighting Package for the Adaptive Lighting feature?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashoutposse
Right. Is that the same camera as the one included with the LED Lighting Package for the Adaptive Lighting feature?
I read on another post that the camera comes with the lighting pkg. I plan on enabling all the special lighting features on LED pkg that are shut off for American market.
      04-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I found a post in the 3/4 series forums that seems to have some good info on this.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...eed+limit+info

if you go to post 21 you will see the following:

Quote:
If one has only HBA and no SLI or LDW, then they have FLA ECU and not KAFAS, and it cannot be coded for SLI and / or LDW.

If one has KAFAS ECU, it should be capable of being coded to do SLI, LDW, and or HBA; however, SLI also requires a 7E FSC Enabling Code before it can work, and LDW will work, however it will not vibrate the steering wheel unless the Vibrator is retrofitted in the Steering Wheel. The Triangles on the Side Mirrors are for 5AG Active Blind Spot Detection and have nothing to do with LDW.

You have KAFAS ECU which is one single ECU that is capable of SLI, LDW, and HBA. It may have multiple cameras or lenses, but it is a single ECU. To add LDW, you do not need an FSC Code. The FSC Code is needed for SLI only. You should be able to add 5AD to your VO and VO Code Kombi and KAFAS for LDW to work (without vibration of course).
HBA = High Beam Assist
LDW = Lane Departure Warning
SLI = Speed Limit Info

If i'm interpreting it correctly it means that if you have high beam assist (the part of the LED package that adds the camera) then the ECU you get is not capable being coded to provide speed limit info.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 04:01 AM   #8
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4John View Post

If i'm interpreting it correctly it means that if you have high beam assist (the part of the LED package that adds the camera) then the ECU you get is not capable being coded to provide speed limit info.
My F80 will have HBA, LED Lights and SLI.
      04-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Well I am ordering mine with all packages/options. Just that mod bug/instinct always seems to get me prior to ordering any vehicle and I can't stop dwelling over ways to make it unique. Also, no better way to get to know your baby than taking her apart and adding some goodies in the process!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I read on another post that the camera comes with the lighting pkg. I plan on enabling all the special lighting features on LED pkg that are shut off for American market.
I'd be very interested in that as well... so hope you let me know, what has been done/what you do. Then I can just tell my dealer what exactly I want (or even do it myself).
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
My F80 will have HBA, LED Lights and SLI.
Sorry I should have been clearer. I was speaking about cars in the States. We can't pick SLI as a standalone option here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake View Post
I'd be very interested in that as well... so hope you let me know, what has been done/what you do. Then I can just tell my dealer what exactly I want (or even do it myself).
I plan on enabling these features as well! The videos just make it look so cool. Also i doubt coding your BMW is not something dealers will do for you (unless maybe you are really good friends with them).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #12
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Oh hell, my spouse found out about this little matter with the lights, and apparently he wants the full affect to be enabled also.

I swear I will finally murder him with a fork if I end up driving a car that sounds like an ice cream truck. That would be his idea of a joke, and the fact that he is ordering some cables next week, makes me tremble in fear. I will be screwed.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

FYI ... anyone looking to buy an ENET Cable, can purchase from me. I personally make these cables and sell for $20 each shipped within the USA (international shipping extra) via eBay primarily to help facilitate remote coding.

I can also help you code your car remotely via TeamViewer remote software at no charge & point you to where you can obtain the software needed to download for no charge as well.

didn't buy my cable ... I don't care .... I'll still help you code for free

Last edited by pillpusher84; 06-23-2014 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0