GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Installing M performance parts on ED - allowed?

I will do ED pickup in August ( waiting for confirmation on date ) and I'm guessing that M performance parts will be available at this time in Germany.

While I've done a couple of EDs I've never installed anything on the car in Europe. Does anyone know if it's allowed or will it cause problems when importing the car and the testing / inspection in Oxnard when the car is received in the US? I'm talking about OEM BMW M performance parts installed by a German BMW dealer? Maybe they even refuse to work on a US car?

I would guess it's a big fat NEIN since they are picky with even the smallest thing as warning triangles etc. anyone have any experience of trying?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

My understanding is that, if you were to do this, they will remove them. Clearing customs requires the car to match factory specifications. This applies even though you have the dealership do it. The problem is customs can't be held responsible for validating things like this. They just want to check that the thing the piece of paper says is being shipped is actually what you are trying to ship. A spec sheet from a BMW factory is a pretty credible piece of documentation. Notes about modifications from a dealership (or aftermarket shop, or yourself) - not so much. To avoid a logistical and legal clusterfuck they just stick to the stock specs.
Appreciate 0