F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2014 335 xi Break- in priod
GetBMWParts

04-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
2014 335 xi Break- in priod

2014 335 xi Break-in period
Just took the delivery of new 335 and was wondering how long I have to wait before I can put the car in sport mode and really rev the engine. I had the choice of buying the 328 for about 6000 less but opted for the 335 for the power alone, plus hated the 328's engine noise. It sounded like diesel. Any ways if anyone can shed some light on this id really appreciate it. The dealer said keep the RPM under 3500 for the first 5000km. Tough to do.....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Halsifer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

My dealer said just not to drive it hard for the first 600 miles, don't floor it and don't go past 95 mph. Some dealers will say something different. I know my dealer wasn't telling me that based off factory recommendations. I attached a copy of the manual's description and recommendation for breaking-in.

I think it's fine if you stop your rev limit at 4500 rpm for 2000 km (1200 miles). I did that for myself because it was recommended by factory and I have the same exact car as you. I have yet to have any issues. Some people also drive the car hard straight off the lot. That's what happened with my Audi, then it started consuming oil (I had to refill 1-2 qts between service intervals). But you can go 6000 km if you would like to know it's truly and fully broken in properly, but I don't think you'll see much of a difference.
Attached Images

2003 BMW e46 325i [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Smile

Thank you for your post. I will follow the instructions as you posted
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Jdem2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Picked mine up this past Friday. The CA took me for a test drive in a mirror image of my car with 4 miles on it. He told me to stomp on the throttle, straight away, as we pulled out of the dealership on the test drive.

Then he took me on some back roads and said "ok you are clear to 100mph and then we will get to some houses so take it back down". I asked if he was sure and I mentioned break in period...he said "that's nothing to worry about any more".

Not sure it is "nothing to worry about", but he seemed completely at ease with me taking it to the floor and holding it there through the upshifts.

That said, I like Halsifer's train of thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thank you all for your comments, I as you know am still discovering little things with my car, gadget wise, so here is another questions. I found out that my car has LED lights in the inside of the doors above arm rest. The lights are very low intensity to a point that you'll have to put your nose to them to sense that they are on and that's in pitch dark. Does anyone know how to increase the intensity of these lights? If they can't be turned brighter, what's even the use of having them. Hardly noticeable....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
Thank you all for your comments, I as you know am still discovering little things with my car, gadget wise, so here is another questions. I found out that my car has LED lights in the inside of the doors above arm rest. The lights are very low intensity to a point that you'll have to put your nose to them to sense that they are on and that's in pitch dark. Does anyone know how to increase the intensity of these lights? If they can't be turned brighter, what's even the use of having them. Hardly noticeable....
Go to Settings > Lighting and then you will see an adjustment meter. You can also adjust the colour here as well (white for Sport, red for Classic).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdem2 View Post
Picked mine up this past Friday. The CA took me for a test drive in a mirror image of my car with 4 miles on it. He told me to stomp on the throttle, straight away, as we pulled out of the dealership on the test drive.

Then he took me on some back roads and said "ok you are clear to 100mph and then we will get to some houses so take it back down". I asked if he was sure and I mentioned break in period...he said "that's nothing to worry about any more".

Not sure it is "nothing to worry about", but he seemed completely at ease with me taking it to the floor and holding it there through the upshifts.

That said, I like Halsifer's train of thought.
BMW explicitly defines a break in period for a reason. The situation you just described is exactly why I never buy off the lot and order instead. That car you drove will probably have 20 more test drives just like you described.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Neal376
Rep
Drives: 335i 6mt

I probably bounced off the speed limiter a few times after I left the dealer lot on my new 6mt.

break ins dont scare me. haven't paid attention to them in decades and my cars still last :
Appreciate 0