F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Learn me about turbo timers
proTUNING Freaks

04-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Learn me about turbo timers

Someone brought this up in a thread the other day and I had never heard of it. I know what they do, but how complicated is it to set one up? How expensive? Are certain manufacturers preferred over others? Is the turbo timer needed for average rpm runs or just when you've run the car at high rpm for a while? I'm the kind of guy who will either just be too impatient to let the engine cool down, or will just forget.
      06-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Not sure what was covered in the other thread, but the newer turbo systems and means by which they circulate oil are not as dependent on turbo timers. Very little benefit on some of the newer turbo systems.

Additionally, engine RPM's have no real effect on the turbo RPM's. Just how much boost how recently. Spin down is pretty quick as well, so as long as you aren't full throttle and then immediately shutting off the car it is likely a non-issue.

That all said, with the electronics and complicated systems on the BMW setting up a turbo timer is likely to be FAR from trivial.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
Someone brought this up in a thread the other day and I had never heard of it. I know what they do, but how complicated is it to set one up? How expensive? Are certain manufacturers preferred over others? Is the turbo timer needed for average rpm runs or just when you've run the car at high rpm for a while? I'm the kind of guy who will either just be too impatient to let the engine cool down, or will just forget.
It may have been my quote to which you are referring.

Only ever seen them on petrol cars, typically pre 2000ish hot Japanese cars such as Skylines, Evos, 3000GT's etc. They don't please insurance companies at all because of the simple principle that leaving the car engine engaged increases theft ability and I guess fire risk and carbon monoxide poisoning if left in confined spaces is a consideration. I would imagine it to be an unjustifiable PITA on complex modern cars, especially with auto start/ stop, and as pointed out, electric oil pumps allow oil to circulate until oil temp lowers enough to keep besrings safe from heat soak. So I think they are shelved as relics, or at least until I'm corrected........
Appreciate 0