F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 3GT vs 4GC
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: 3 Gran Turismo vs 4 Gran Coupe ?
3 Gran Turismo 25 48.08%
4 Gran Coupe 27 51.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

04-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
w1k1nG
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F36 420d GC MG+CR

Question 3GT vs 4GC

after hydroplaning and rolling over with 3gt, the car is totalled and now i can't decide between 3gt and 4gc.

you can see below the photo comparison that i have done between 3gt, 4gc and 3 sedan.

which one you think better and why ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
w1k1nG
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

other comparison photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
w1k1nG
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

real life photo comparison

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:50 AM   #4
jasemsport
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E46 touring M-sport

Did you have the need for the space in the 3gt you had? If not i would go 4gc for sure... Nice comparison also!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Own a GT and happy with its looks and space - have seen the 4 rolling and it looks great but can see they are different "beasts"... Among other things you will notice the GT is tall as opposed to the 4 flat/wide.

Nice picture collection but I say go down to your dealer and try/see/feel them both. Then decide which one is best for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Own a GT and happy with its looks and space - have seen the 4 rolling and it looks great but can see they are different "beasts"... Among other things you will notice the GT is tall as opposed to the 4 flat/wide.

Nice picture collection but I say go down to your dealer and try/see/feel them both. Then decide which one is best for your needs.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

This is a decision your going to have to make, w1k1nG. There's no denying the two cars look very similar. However, they serve two different purposes. One is slightly more utilitarian (3GT) and the other is slightly more sporty (4GC). It's what best serves your needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
w1k1nG
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Interview with Paloma Schmidt-Bräkling, Product Manager BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
How would you differentiate between the 4 Series Gran Coupe and the 3 Series Gran Turismo?

Paloma Schmidt-Bräkling: If you compare the proportions, the 3 Series GT is huge compared to the 4 Series Gran Coupe; it is nearly a 5 Series from the length perspective. So if you see them one next to another you can’t compare the two cars. Everybody asks me the question, but if you really see the cars next to each other, I think no customer will say “I like both; I don’t know which one to choose”. People who want very coupe lines, sporty, dynamic character will choose the Gran Coupe, and the people who will need more space than you have here will choose the Gran Turismo, because there the legroom in the back and the trunk is fantastic for a 3 Series.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

Like others have said, do you want utility and sporty qualities? Do you want more rear legroom and space for passengers and/or family? Do you need the cargo space of the GT? If so, go 3GT.

If you don't really want or need the things above, but want a car with sporty, lower stance, coupé styling, the get the 4GC. If you want a compact sedan, get the 3.

It's all personal preference, as they are very similar cars under different skins.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
mattu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 14 335GT, 21 X5 45e

The 4GC and 3GT are completely different cars from a size perspective. It's almost like choosing between an X1 and an X5. If you don't really need the space of the 3GT, the 4GC is clearly the better choice from a driver's perspective. If I had totaled my 3GT and could pick the 4GC to replace it, I probably would--it still has utility with the hatch and I don't require the space of the 3GT yet. I wouldn't consider the 3er sedan because I want the utility a hatch provides.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
w1k1nG
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

3gt is with longer wheelbase, panoramic sunroof, rear spoiler and also have a second thick line on the down side of doors. all these are exceptional things on a bmw in my point of view.

4gc has none of them and also the design of the headlights in 4 series with the eyebrows looks like f30, which i hate, so it's hard to compare with the 3gt headlights and grills.

4gc wheelbase is same with f30 and also the front is similar, so i don't think that it's quite easy for common people to recognise the difference between these two cars without seeing these two cars next to each other, but in 3gt it's totally different and easy to recognisable.

on the other side 4gc's design is absolutely more sporty with coupe lines in comparison to 3gt.

i have totalled the 3gt in 4000km and still would like to buy it again because of these reasons above, but all people around me telling that i must be crazy to buy this car again.

i don't know why but most of the people hate the gt even before seeing the car itself, just when hearing the gt name without having any clue about the cars design. it seems because of the bad impression of 5 series gt and the bad reviews all around the web about design of it.

frankly speaking the big space advantage of 3gt is totally not required by me which i never used. so maybe this time better to try 4gc to make a difference.

Last edited by w1k1nG; 04-22-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k1nG View Post
3gt is with longer wheelbase, panoramic sunroof, rear spoiler and also have a second thick line on the down side of doors. all these are exceptional things on a bmw in my point of view.

4gc has none of them and also the design of the headlights in 4 series with the eyebrows looks like f30, which i hate, so it's hard to compare with the 3gt headlights and grills.

4gc wheelbase is same with f30 and also the front is similar, so i don't think that it's quite easy for common people to recognise the difference between these two cars without seeing these two cars next to each other, but in 3gt it's totally different and easy to recognisable.

on the other side 4gc's design is absolutely more sporty with couple lines in comparison to 3gt.

i have totalled the 3gt in 4000km and still would like to buy it again because of these reasons above, but all people around me telling that i must be crazy to buy this car again.

i don't know why but most of the people hate the gt even before seeing the car itself, just when hearing the gt name without having any clue about the cars design. it seems because of the bad impression of 5 series gt and the bad reviews all around the web about design of it.

frankly speaking the big space advantage of 3gt is totally not required by me which i never used. so maybe this time better to try 4gc to make a difference.
Those around you that are talking against the 3GT because you had your crash in it, might be forgetting that you survived the crash and the the hydroplaning that caused it.

(If I am correctly remembering your earlier thread when you survived the crash. If I am mistaken, please excuse me.)

Thus, you might want to consider their comments in light of the previous incident, remembering that because of the safety features, you were not seriously injured. Just a thought for your consideration.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

Quote:
...also the design of the headlights in 4 series with the eyebrows looks like f30, which i hate, so it's hard to compare with the 3gt headlights and grills.
I know what you mean about the headlights. They're the same, but they're not same. I, too, personally prefer the 3GT headlight/grill treatment over the F30. I think they look better because the headlights are thicker where they meet the grill. It just works better for me.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #13
w1k1nG
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

I have decided to follow the way of the 4GC product manager, Paloma Schmidt-Bräkling. On her recent interview, she suggested to see both cars next to another in real life to decide.
It's a pity that we have no chance for that in Turkey most probably until next year spring, but I'm planning to visit BMW Welt during my transit flight from Ankara to San Fransisco over Munich within May.

I have never been to BMW Welt, so is there anybody knows if all the cars are available to see there ? including 4GC and 3GT ?

Quote:
Interview with Paloma Schmidt-Bräkling, Product Manager BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe

How would you differentiate between the 4 Series Gran Coupe and the 3 Series Gran Turismo?

Paloma Schmidt-Bräkling: If you compare the proportions, the 3 Series GT is huge compared to the 4 Series Gran Coupe; it is nearly a 5 Series from the length perspective. So if you see them one next to another you can’t compare the two cars. Everybody asks me the question, but if you really see the cars next to each other, I think no customer will say “I like both; I don’t know which one to choose”. People who want very coupe lines, sporty, dynamic character will choose the Gran Coupe, and the people who will need more space than you have here will choose the Gran Turismo, because there the legroom in the back and the trunk is fantastic for a 3 Series.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

Quote:
I have never been to BMW Welt, so is there anybody knows if all the cars are available to see there ? including 4GC and 3GT ?
I don't know if BMW Welt has all models. Maybe you can previously make an appointment with a dealer, so as you will be sure they can show you both cars.

BMW is launching so many models that I feel it is very difficult to find a specific model/engine/colour/finishing before odering... And it is also complicated for the buyer to decide on a model without reading a lot on the Internet and on the BMW website. But that's part of the fun...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
TheRealEssad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad that you are alright. Also, really great photo comparisons, that scale is really helpful. Good luck with your decision, I'm hoping to see them side by side at the NYC Car Show.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #16
EMpunker
M3 Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daily Driver

What about the 328i Sports Wagon?

Doesn't that have more space than the GT?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #17
netsurfr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Monte Carlo Blue

Garage List
The GT is taller & lots more spacious than the sports wagon. Especially the back seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #18
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

For me personally the 4GC, I just don't like that semi hatch look of the 3GT find it a bit odd shape(no offence 3GT owners we're all different) comparing to the sleek 4GC. Same with the 5GT just doesn't look right despite my wedding car was a white 5GT.
Appreciate 0