Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Knicks_fan2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

M4 v. 2012 X6M

Hey all,

I currently drive a 2010 X6 5.0 and was going to pick up an M4 via ED this fall but was offered a 2012 X6M with 10k miles and optioned out (110k msrp) at around 60k and was wondering if yall had any opinions on which you would rather roll with. I know the X6 is a polarizing car but I do love my 2010 and this seems like a great deal. Would love to hear from previous M3 owners and, particularly, those that have owned both an X6 and an M3 to give me their thoughts.

Financially, it seems like a no brainer, and to then consider picking up a lightly used m4 in a couple years, but I have never purchased a brand new car and have also never been to Welt so thought it made sense to reach out to yall.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Well, before the rest of the group wakes up, let me be the first to say, that these two are different breeds. One is a car, the other is a badge holder.

I will be alone with my opinion again I'm sure, but I do not find the X6M attractive in any form. i just saw it in a showroom, and all the angles were wrong in my opinion.

I have not driven either one of these, so this is a comment on looks alone.

As my usual disclaimer I have to mention that I own a Jack Russell, and as a new addition I also give out the information that I do not like Corvettes, they are ugly.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Knicks_fan2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Well, before the rest of the group wakes up, let me be the first to say, that these two are different breeds. One is a car, the other is a badge holder.

I will be alone with my opinion again I'm sure, but I do not find the X6M attractive in any form. i just saw it in a showroom, and all the angles were wrong in my opinion.

As my usual disclaimer I have to mention that I own a Jack Russell, and as a new addition I also give out the information that I do not like Corvettes, they are ugly.
I hear you, it's definitely polarizing in its looks and I certainly don't consider it a traditional M car but I do note that I love the X6 but worry about missing out on the new M4 craze. My thought process was getting this now and then getting a cheaper lightly used M4 a couple years from now but appreciate the opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_fan2 View Post
I hear you, it's definitely polarizing in its looks and I certainly don't consider it a traditional M car but I do note that I love the X6 but worry about missing out on the new M4 craze. My thought process was getting this now and then getting a cheaper lightly used M4 a couple years from now but appreciate the opinion.
I can't comment on the pricing, I'm no expert on that. I think that what ever you do, you will second guess your choice, you want them both, so welcome to the endless circle of regret.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Knicks_fan2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can't comment on the pricing, I'm no expert on that. I think that what ever you do, you will second guess your choice, you want them both, so welcome to the endless circle of regret.

Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_fan2
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about "missing out" on the M4. It will still be there--and possibly with fewer early release bugs--when you decide to purchase.

As far as the X6M, have you given it a test drive yet? You call it a financial no-brainer, but I question whether it's THAT much better than your current 2010 X6 5.0 to justify the cost. Sure, your 2010 will be out of warranty soon (or may already be), but I doubt you'll recoup the expense even with 2 years of free maintenance and warranty on the 2012 X6M.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Knicks_fan2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
I wouldn't worry about "missing out" on the M4. It will still be there--and possibly with fewer early release bugs--when you decide to purchase.

As far as the X6M, have you given it a test drive yet? You call it a financial no-brainer, but I question whether it's THAT much better than your current 2010 X6 5.0 to justify the cost. Sure, your 2010 will be out of warranty soon (or may already be), but I doubt you'll recoup the expense even with 2 years of free maintenance and warranty on the 2012 X6M.
It's a good point. It would be more of a performance play and the X6M has every option while my X6 just has cold weather package. X6M has 10k miles while I bought my current X6 with mid 30s (now 49k). I suppose it's a financial no brainer in a comparison of the two cars as opposed to the status quo v. the X6M.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Lups
Rep

Sapper makes excellent points. Listen to him instead of the rest of us. =)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
Knicks_fan2
Private First Class
Rep

Leaning toward holding off on both for the moment although I'm sure someone will convince me to put an order in for an M4 hah but I'll definitely wait for the reviews.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Leaning toward holding off on both for the moment although I'm sure someone will convince me to put an order in for an M4 hah but I'll definitely wait for the reviews.
That's the smart thing to do, I don't have the time to wait, cause we will be here in the promised land of fuel for only two years, and then it's back to the 1.6 euros per litre land. Then this baby, IF i have the cash to cough up the taxes (apparently taking your own used car back to Finland is now on max tax too, if I can read the info correctly) will be used as a garden ornament, and I just weep while looking at it from the window.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups
Quote:
That's the smart thing to do, I don't have the time to wait, cause we will be here in the promised land of fuel for only two years, and then it's back to the 1.6 euros per litre land. Then this baby, IF i have the cash to cough up the taxes (apparently taking your own used car back to Finland is now on max tax too, if I can read the info correctly) will be used as a garden ornament, and I just weep while looking at it from the window.
That is quite possibly the saddest story I've ever heard. It also makes me realize how good we have it here in the U.S.

OP, I take back everything I said. Carpe diem! Buy BOTH vehicles, and live your life to the fullest.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
That is quite possibly the saddest story I've ever heard. It also makes me realize how good we have it here in the U.S.

OP, I take back everything I said. Carpe diem! Buy BOTH vehicles, and live your life to the fullest.
Hell yeah, it is. We do get perks from paying the shit load of taxes, but it really doesn't comfort us at the pumps. That's the reason a person from europe is easy to spot here, we grin like idiots on a good trip while pumping gasoline. There is no smiley for this one.

The only upside, and I had to actually think about this is, that maybe the neighbors will stop buying those awful gnome statues!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #13
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Lups, come for the cheap M, stay for the even cheaper gas.
      04-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #14
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Lups, come for the cheap M, stay for the even cheaper gas.
LOL, in irl. you just earned your coffee, but only at the dealer. I will make it for you, so you can be the king of S as you are.

The price difference is so utterly baffling, even I don't get it. Okay, free education, healthcare and such, but still wasting money the way our leaders now does, it's (humans read this shit, so I won't say it here and now) something else.

We probably end up staying here a year longer, but then we will head back. The kids need an education which will make them smart, not someone buying Lovelies.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

I understand 100%!!! I'm giving my wife my '13 X6 50 and I'm taking the M4 as my new DD.

That's a tough call. The X6 is polarizing - I'm of the group that loves the design and uniqueness - people compliment it often. It's much more "practical" (as you can truly use the 2 back seats with greater ease) as you know.

The M4 will be nearly a second faster to 60 (which is not that much given the number of times you'll use it) and is more unique to those who follow BMW as it's brand new.

I agree with an earlier post... Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'd call it "Rich man problems"... Life doesn't suck if this is the dilemma.. go with your heart and enjoy! You won't regret either!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
6underpressure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I'd go m4... I went from 335i to m3 an it feels like iv bin sitting in the same car for years...don't get me wrong I love my m3 drives sooo much better than my 335 but just feels kinda like the same thing at a stand still even with the new nav an full fox red .... But I do like the x6m what ever you pick make sure it's an M
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
Milban
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 ordered

I will draw on your taste, imagine driving either, and parking next to the other, how does it feel? Now jump!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #18
major one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 750i x-drive; 16 g550

yes - i am reinvigourating this thread from some 16m ago. now that the new body style f86 x6m is out - i'd like to know your refreshened opinions as to this 5000 beast with 0-60 in 4 flat or less as compared to our beloved m3/m4. my dealer has one and it is sick. sick. sick. the mags pan it for being stupid, not functional, expensive, yada. but also say it holds its own on the track (believe it or not), has a gorgeous interiour (and subjectively exteriour), and really pulls at the emotional heartstrings. for some. i like it a lot. need to go drive it this week sometime. but in the meantime, what say you on the new version? here is a corporate shot of the sav in "long beach blue."
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #19
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

If I needed the room I wouldn't hesitate, I love the thing. I don't like the weight or the lack of a manual though.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

For me an x5m seems to have more to offer than the x6m. I like the looks better and rear headroom can be an issue in the x6. I think I have the same head room in the back of my f80 as the x6.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #21
x3ster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4- YMB

Why not. A bit spendy but I feel deserves them M badge.

I drove an X6M's on the autobahn and all over Germany for that matter. Loved it. Great suv and would love to own one. Stopped on a dime and we hit 279kmh. About 173 for anyone not up on the conversion. Had my mother and father in law in tow. My mother in law kept saying "OK thats enough". Over and over. Hah! Anytime I saw the triple slash it was on! Fastest I have ever been.

Recall dropping in behind a 335i at about 80-100 in the fast lane. Was able to see the plumes come out of the twin tail pipes. I hit it a second later. He or she moved over immediately after getting on it. The X6M was able to easily pass the 335i and out of site in no time. Fast suv for the 335i is no slouch. 550 hp does help.

Also just remembered I curbed one of the wheels on an huge curb in Munich. Damn! I was worried I was out the cost of a new rim and tire. BMW had mercy on me and was only about $150.

Anyone who is thinking about it and can, should go for it.
Appreciate 0