E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Dark car for track use

11-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Dark car for track use

Hi guys,

I have a 335iC on order. Quoted is jet-black. As I plan to go to track (road course of course) ocassionally, it popped on on my mind, what hell would it be to drive it under direct sunlight /w AC off. I see all of my fav members from this tracking only forum drive white/silver cars, so I got conspicious. Any ideas, experiences?

Julius

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 335iC on order. Quoted is jet-black. As I plan to go to track (road course of course) ocassionally, it popped on on my mind, what hell would it be to drive it under direct sunlight /w AC off. I see all of my fav members from this tracking only forum drive white/silver cars, so I got conspicious. Any ideas, experiences?

Julius
Does it really matter if you have inside temp of 55 (C) in white car instead of 59 in black car? It's hot anyway.

Why would you turn ac off? To save 4,2 hp and 0,1 seconds/lap? Surely this extreme timesaving is necessary if you race, but on trackday - not really.
In summer it will be hot and I need to keep AC on (blue car) and at full speed, otherwise it'll be too hot and that leads to errors and even worse laptimes.
I only have 4-cyl engine, so I have really slow car, but still, some few extra hps wouldn't help me too much. I can't compete your 335 anyway :sad0147:

What you can do is to park your car in the shadow before driving and let it idle with ac on - that should help a bit (for a lap or two).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

Thx 4 your feedback. Unfortunately the AC/OFF in the 335i is not only to get more horses on the road, but also to get limp mode a few minutes later

But U say something. Maybe a few months later when the overheating issue will be solvable with more efficient aftermarket oil/water cooler, we lazy slouchy suit-n-tie "racers" won't giva a sh*t about a few horses and leave the AC on (but won't tell anyone there, of course, to prevent those supercilious looks)

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

For every track I've ever been to, at least the driver's window needs to be down anyway.

I have a dark 335 that I track and I have never thought about the color making a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
Hi guys,

Julius
I think you are thinking way to much about a silly thing, Concentrate on improving your time. If your ''on it'' you wont feel the heat untill your finished either!

Carlos
      11-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I think you are thinking way to much about a silly thing, Concentrate on improving your time. If your ''on it'' you wont feel the heat untill your finished either!

Carlos
Was just a question. Can't do anything more until I get my car... but U're right. Let's drive

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

You're gonna cook regardless. You don't want AC on when tracking, for the reason you stated before: It feeds hot air to the engine radiator, exacerbating the overheating issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
j28s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i - 6mt - Sedan

With the windows down and merely a shirt and pants (and helmet) on, I don't see what the problem is without A/C. Just turn the fan (no A/C) on to get the air circulating. Best thing to do, is (A) get in shape (exercise, running, etc), (B) drink a lot of water/gatorade, (C) sweat it out. If you want hot, try getting on a race track in August with the temps around 100 degrees and humidity around 89%. Put on your helmet, hans, race suit, gloves, boots, nomax. Go out and drive on the 145 degrees black asphalt wide open for 45minutes with the exhaust running about 1" from your foot (under your car). Floor board temperature is 160+ degrees...hot enough your heels start to burn. Versus going in your dark color 335 for a track day in a long sleeve shirt and pants...this is a walk in the park.

Racing is an addiction that can only be cured by poverty.
Background: SCCA and NASA PRO Racing
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j28s View Post
With the windows down and merely a shirt and pants (and helmet) on, I don't see what the problem is without A/C. Just turn the fan (no A/C) on to get the air circulating. Best thing to do, is (A) get in shape (exercise, running, etc), (B) drink a lot of water/gatorade, (C) sweat it out. If you want hot, try getting on a race track in August with the temps around 100 degrees and humidity around 89%. Put on your helmet, hans, race suit, gloves, boots, nomax. Go out and drive on the 145 degrees black asphalt wide open for 45minutes with the exhaust running about 1" from your foot (under your car). Floor board temperature is 160+ degrees...hot enough your heels start to burn. Versus going in your dark color 335 for a track day in a long sleeve shirt and pants...this is a walk in the park.
LOL...btdt...Thunderhill in July-August...100 degree temps...sitting there sweating like crap waiting for the 90 year old guy in grid to release you so you can get some wind in your face...and not pass out.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

keep going guys, having a really good time now
looks like nothing is gonna stop me from going to the track in my jet black jet fighter

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

One race, was just under 100 but still around 90% humidity, they red flagged the race (meaning you slow down and pull over to the right of the track in view of the worker station and stay there until you directed..don't remove your helmet or harness). They had the emergency vehicles on the course (there was a pretty good wreck). 5 mintues go by...10 minutes go by...15 minutes go by, then at 20 minutes you say to yourself "what's the worst they could do...send you home...well it's the last race of the weekend, no biggie"...about that time you get the double black flag to go to the pits. Now that was hot. I bet I lost 10 lbs of sweat in the driving suite in those 20 minutes. Man...sure would have been nice if I had A/C...

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

well that would be the right chance to turn on the AC until the race continues. no?

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

Absolutetly...but I don't know of many race cars that have A/C. But the perfect chance at a track event....

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I dont think I have seen any dedicated race cars with a working air conditioners..if they actually wanted to go fast. In my spec miata I would sit there and try to get my vent fan to blow hot air on me..it was better than no air at all. One weekend it was so bad I decided against a balaclava (sp?) even though I have a mustache. (Bad boy, I know..but it was friggin hot)

The worst is when you car is having temporary overheating problems and you turn on the heater to cool down the engine..but this super heats the driver.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

does it help to turn on the heating? We used that in the dark age of drivin old type Skodas (1.2l engine in the back, RWD) which tend to everheat under continuous higher load, but since then...

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It is just a very temporary situation...definitely not a hard core solution to an overheating problem. It does help though.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #17
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
It is just a very temporary situation...definitely not a hard core solution to an overheating problem. It does help though.
Yeah, wait till it's 100+ ambient near Willows and your oil temps are hovering around 290+. You'll be running your heater at full blast!

Solution: Monterey is a much cooler city, lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #18
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

apparently, you guys are alot more dedicated to the addiction than I am (or, more likely, I just haven't gotten enough hits yet)

PBOC runs Barber in March and November, nice cool temps. BMWCCA in May can get a little more dicey, depending on mother nature's mood, maybe into the 90's.

With 16 days over 100 here last August, I can't imagine sitting out a red flag even with AC at that time of year (pretty sure they still run at that time, tho).
      11-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

Those who are not that addicted can use spring and fall for tracking and summer for vacation

Thx for all the feedbacks, guys. Besides all the usefull info it was also amusing to read.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

Quote:
Originally Posted by j28s View Post
You really know how to make this sport sound appealing!
      11-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #21
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
but the girls you get to kiss when you win makes it all worthwhile...

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #22
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

Hmmm, U need to win? Hmmm, why didn't anybody tell me?

Appreciate 0