BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

11-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

E92 M3 US pricing - educated math

So I, like most of you, am dying to know what BMW will price the M3 at. I went onto BMWUSA.com to do a direct comparison of a 550i vs. M5 that INCLUDES the optional equipment you need to put on the 550i to bring it to a similar equipment level that is standard on the M5. This includes

Logic 7 sound
Heated Front Seats
Sport package (gets 19" wheels, sport seats)
Nav
Metallic Paint

The 550i with this stuff costs $68,725 vs. $83,675 for the M5 -- a $15K difference

Applying the same math to the M3 vs. 335i coupe, I am hoping they offer the M3 without Nav and, perhaps without leather. If the M3 comes with the same equipment as a stock 335i (logic 7, power seats, bi-zenons, etc) then you add Sport package to get 18" wheels and sport seats on the 335i you have a price of $43,150. If you add the same $15K on to get the M3's price you have a base of $58,150. If you increase instead by the same percentage (22%) then the base price is $52,530. Somewhere in between would be a base of $55K.

So it all comes down to what standard equipment will come with the M3 (which will drive up the base price) and whether they price it based on premium over the 335i or based on pricing of its rivals. Since BMW is known for offering reasonable base prices but then making profits on the options, I think/hope/wish/pray that they will base it at $55,895 and including almost exactly the same standard equipment as the 335i.

Seeing that there are 4 M5s and 2 M6s sitting outside my dealership collecting dust (druel?), I think they won't get too greedy with the M3's base price. Here's to hoping!
      11-26-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
So I, like most of you, am dying to know what BMW will price the M3 at.
We already know from NA dealer option lists that leather and Nav are both optional (extended leather is another option). Best recent estimates based on military pricing estimates (unofficial documents, apparently) is $56-58k base. Have you been following along? Lots of discussion on all of these points. I wouldn't hold your breath for the $55k figure!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
We already know from NA dealer option lists that leather and Nav are both optional (extended leather is another option). Best recent estimates based on military pricing estimates (unofficial documents, apparently) is $56-58k base. Have you been following along? Lots of discussion on all of these points. I wouldn't hold your breath for the $55k figure!
I missed the issue of military pricing (did not know we had any documents whether official or unofficial). Did anyone compare similarly optioned 550i compared to M5? I know some have just taken the base 550i and M5 price delta and done the math that way, but not with options taken into account.

If no leather and Nav standard then I am still guessing $55,850 base plus destination and gas guzzler (whatever that might wind up being). With normal options (premium package, cold weather, comfort access) plus the guzzler tax it will be a $64K price - slightly less than the RS4 price with similar equipment. The 3-way suspension will probably add another $1500 and Nav another $2K so many will be ordered up to near $70K. Yikes!
      11-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

please BMW release the pricing information. we keep spinning the same wheels over and over and over. somebody already did a thread on all of the deltas between each series and its M counterpart. i don't think it got us anywhere....
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
seriously, when is the price going to be released??? The wait is driving me crazy, i seriously think they will release it next year...
      11-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
seriously, when is the price going to be released??? The wait is driving me crazy, i seriously think they will release it next year...
Aren't they going to begin taking US orders in January? I would imagine that we will hear definitive pricing then.

The NAIA show from January 17-29 in Detroit will probably be a good time for them to release US numbers.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have heard that sometimes BMW does not release NA pricing until the model hit the showroom. I think I heard this about the 335i. That means folks waiting in line place orders without knowing the damn price of the car. Insane if you ask me. I would never do that, just out of principle. I think it is just a waiting game with among the competitive suppliers. Hold out as long as possible to get your price as competitive as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Aren't they going to begin taking US orders in January? I would imagine that we will hear definitive pricing then.

The NAIA show from January 17-29 in Detroit will probably be a good time for them to release US numbers.
I remember a couple that ordered an M5 during NAIAS last year. First time I saw someone order a car at a car show like that. Maybe they will do the same for the M3 this time.
Appreciate 0