E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Anyone know a good MA attorney for speeding tickets? (Ideally in western MA)

04-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Anyone know a good MA attorney for speeding tickets? (Ideally in western MA)

I got hit with a $595 ticket this morning. This could be my second within weeks (still waiting on the court's decision for the first).... I think it might make sense to hire some professional help for this one.

Both tickets were clocked / estimated, no radar / laser involved.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.... Yes, I know I need to slow down

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

My brother got hit with a ridiculous ticket in his E92 around here a couple months ago by a statie who claimed he was pacing him at 95, which was insane. Due to the severity of the ticket, I advised my brother to seek a lawyer and we both did a good deal of research.

Sadly, neither of us were able to find a reputable lawyer in the area. It seemed that anyone professional with any sort of references was located in the Boston area. That seems to be the way it goes for most things around here, as well.

That said, my brother wound up running out of time and not getting a lawyer. I advised him to fight it himself in court and helped him prepare his defense. The court magistrate for the initial hearing refused to budge on anything, wouldn't offer a lower fine (which you should reject, as what you should be concerned about is license points and insurance premiums), or anything. I advised him to appeal and take it to a judge, and he successfully managed to get the ticket dismissed, though I suspect his lack of priors helped him greatly with the judge.

Anyway, the takeaway from this is that you absolutely should fight it, even if it means doing so without a lawyer. If you are set on getting a lawyer (and it would be wise to do so), be prepared to expand your search toward Eastern MA. In the meantime, you can start by requesting all available information on the trooper who ticketed you, the repair and maintenance records of his vehicle, and speedometer calibration certificates and records. I'll be at the UMass car show on Saturday if you'd like to discuss further in person.

Good luck. It seems the staties have been particularly aggressive lately and much more concerned with focusing on what they see as easy revenue rather than public safety. I've noticed things get much worse over the last few years in this area at least.
      04-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I advised him to appeal and take it to a judge, and he successfully managed to get the ticket dismissed, though I suspect his lack of priors helped him greatly with the judge.

Anyway, the takeaway from this is that you absolutely should fight it, even if it means doing so without a lawyer. If you are set on getting a lawyer (and it would be wise to do so), be prepared to expand your search toward Eastern MA. In the meantime, you can start by requesting all available information on the trooper who ticketed you, the repair and maintenance records of his vehicle, and speedometer calibration certificates and records. I'll be at the UMass car show on Saturday if you'd like to discuss further in person.

Good luck. It seems the staties have been particularly aggressive lately and much more concerned with focusing on what they see as easy revenue rather than public safety. I've noticed things get much worse over the last few years in this area at least.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Most state troopers seem to just be out to hunt for preys and tear their victims a new a**hole with ridiculous fines and tickets, instead of actually preventing real crime. A lot of them have also got Lidar so there's almost no way you could really fight those in court.

How did your brother get his ticket dismissed in front of the judge? Statie not show up?
      04-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
MUFASA1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Mineral White Metall

Goodluck dude am sure you dont want anyone berating you like a child about no more speeding. Hope it works out
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
How did your brother get his ticket dismissed in front of the judge? Statie not show up?
There was a trooper there, but I don't know recall if it was the same one who pulled him over or just one they send for the day to represent everyone.

My brother argued his case in that no measurement device was used, it was a dark and curvy stretch of 91 so it would have been difficult for the officer to accurately gauge speed by pacing, and insisted that he was aware of his speed and not traveling at an excessive rate. He did mention that he had a clean record with no previous incidents as well, and I think that's ultimately what swayed the judge into dismissing it.
      04-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Thanks guys. I'm def going to fight it as I fight them all.... I actually just got notice that I beat my last one the evening after I got this massive ticket...

One down, one to go I suppose.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0