Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pay Top Dollar or Go For Looks?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Pay Top Dollar or Go For Looks?

Obviously we know there are tons of aftermarket replica wheels out there.

Don't get me wrong....some companies like Avant Garde makes gorgeous works. Espcially the M359 Wheels in matte black on my Alpine White.

Then there's some brands that don't even have a name on eBay of course made in China. Cost half as less and they copy a bunch of BBS style wheels....anyone run those before?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

avant garde are not worth the money, but i wouldnt go with the cheap ebay replicas either.
alot of wheel strength has to do with wheels design.
the P40 style reps are notorious for bending, whether its Avant garde or a no name.
that is because the design of the wheels was engineered as a Forged metal design.
when replicated in cast....the lips just bend like butter.
with the m359 design your real only option is AG or OEM.
most other designs that AG makes, VMR also makes, for a couple hundred less.
the VMR are just as durable (not saying they are stong by any means) so there is no reason to waste your money on AG thinking they are "premium" by any means
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335 msport

I agree 100% and seriously its absolutely rediculous how these shitty rep wheel companies (yeah you vmr, linea corse, AG, varrstoen, etc) charge stupid silly money for wheels that should all cost retail about $400-500 bucks. I blame all these vendors on here for that bs too.

I have owned volk te-37s, bbs rs-gt's, and one set of advans.....but I damaged at least one or two wheels in every set. nj/ny roads blow so i'll do reps and replace damages ones if necessary.

sucks but ebay is surely the way to go. all reps are made the same. cheapest way possible!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
KMEninety335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Monaco Blue 335i xdrive

Garage List
I have AG M359 18" in NJ and all four wheels are bent. 1 cracked and 1 has hub damage...I love the wheels they look awesome but I think I'm going with Apex next as I've heard good things about them. I drive to Rochester NY quite a bit and roads this winter have been crazy. During the day dodging is not a problem but you can't see what is coming up at night.
2010 E90 335i xdrive | Monaco Blue with Black Interior | All Packages except Sport :/ | Apex EC-7 | Active Autowerke Strut Bar | Roc Euro DCI | Roc Euro Hyperboost DVs | aFe Scoops | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
RaceTruk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMEninety335
I have AG M359 18" in NJ and all four wheels are bent. 1 cracked and 1 has hub damage...I love the wheels they look awesome but I think I'm going with Apex next as I've heard good things about them. I drive to Rochester NY quite a bit and roads this winter have been crazy. During the day dodging is not a problem but you can't see what is coming up at night.
I have only heard good things about apex but when I said something about them to why wheel repair place, he said they aren't that strong.
I'm not going to lie I think he is mistaken since I have never seem any for sale that had damage
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

I've had Linea Corse wheels, and they held up better then my BMW Performance 269s! Well worth the 1400, compared to 3k. I've heard great things about the vendors on bimmerpost (VMR, AG, ...), and honestly I wouldn't go with no name eBay brands. Just do research on brand and reliability before purchase. Also when buying a cheaper wheel, keep in mind that low profile tires (25-35) also influence how the impact is absorbed by the wheel. Cheap wheels, cheap tires = waste of money. The quality of wheels and tires could save you life if you hit a pot hole at high speeds.
      04-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
tank707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Murdered e90

I went with the XXR 521's because they look really good and they are cheap if you curb shot one or hit a mean pothole. You can replace one for cheaper than to fix one. Where I love it's not worth it get a 3-4-5k set of wheels. I wouldn't want to drive my car. Cost me a little over $500 out the door for 18x10's.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
RaceTruk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank707 View Post
I went with the XXR 521's because they look really good and they are cheap if you curb shot one or hit a mean pothole. You can replace one for cheaper than to fix one. Where I love it's not worth it get a 3-4-5k set of wheels. I wouldn't want to drive my car. Cost me a little over $500 out the door for 18x10's.
if you crack 2, ruin the tires from running on the flat, and fuck up your rotor or caliper, youll be far and above that.

buying a good set of wheels used is a far better option.
i got BBS RGR with tires for a little more than $2000, and i sold them for more than i paid...... never had any issues like i did with my other 6 sets of wheels i had on the car, i am never going to skimp on wheels again
Appreciate 0