E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DMS remap on 325d

11-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

DMS remap on 325d

Has any one any experiance with dms ,They have mailed me today saying they could safely map my car to 245bhp and 530nm torque and all done £595 plus vat at my home .The technician claims this is undetectable by bmw service ect what does any one think ,can they be hidden thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Certainly everyone says that because they change the actual code it is undetectable by BMW. I'm sure if they tested it back-to-back with a stock 325d they would notice a difference, but as there is no reason for them to want to download the engine map there probably isn't the facility to do so.

I've had a BMW sales guy suggest that remaps are undetectable, but then I take everything that a sales guy says with a shovel of salt.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Hi there scooby!

Apparently BMW can tell if the car has been mapped as they have been throwing out warranty cases on failed DPF's.

I think the car would be fine remapped to that power!

DMS offer a warranty also.

thanks

Carlos

Last edited by dxb335d; 04-10-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Technically, no ECUremap is completely invisible to BMW - but a technician would actually have to actively go looking for a remap to find it. He would have to delve into the actual ECU coding to be able to determine if it had a remap, so in 99% of normal servicing it would be invisible.

If the remap is of the piggyback variety, then it's perfectly visible, and might pose a problem, although BMW by law cannot strip the car of its warranty (it can decide not to warranty any repair work which may occur as a direct result of the remap, but it would have to prove first of all that it was the remap which gave cause for the warranty work in the first place)

DMS is a good company, have been doing remaps for years and in general have been very reliable. As I might have said on another thread, their early maps for 535d were too aggressive and caused some to go into limp mode (was at the Nurburgring though, so a bit extreme conditions) but subsequent remaps have not had this problem. See if you can get a dyno plot of their remap - just having peak numbers is one thing, but seeing how it plays out over the entire rev range is more important.

Compare the DMS dyno plot to the Hartge plot, and see which one looks smoother and most progressive, as this will be the most satisfying to drive in the long term. (Maps with high boost but are a little spiky can be tiring to drive because the rate of acceleration is not as linear and smooth as it should be)

Either way, I don't think you'll find much problem with the DMS or the Hartge.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Incidentally Scooba, you did tell them that you have a NEW 325d with the 3.0l engine, and not the previous 2.5l engine ??!!

I'm suprised that DMS have a remap out for that new engine so quickly, as it is supposed to be using the same high-level encryption found on the 335i petrol engines, and DMS haven't been able to break the encryption for the 335i yet... Are you sure DMS are offering a remap, and not a piggyback module?

EDIT: Actually, ignore all this. I just spoke to Mike Cooper at DMS and the 325d DOES NOT use the same encryption, so the remap (NOT a piggyback) is to 245bhp and 530NM of torque, for an auto gearbox. And Mike says that the gearbox can cope no problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Mine was done by DMS last Dec and again in Feb this year.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Technically, no ECUremap is completely invisible to BMW - but a technician would actually have to actively go looking for a remap to find it. He would have to delve into the actual ECU coding to be able to determine if it had a remap, so in 99% of normal servicing it would be invisible.

If the remap is of the piggyback variety, then it's perfectly visible, and might pose a problem, although BMW by law cannot strip the car of its warranty (it can decide not to warranty any repair work which may occur as a direct result of the remap, but it would have to prove first of all that it was the remap which gave cause for the warranty work in the first place)

DMS is a good company, have been doing remaps for years and in general have been very reliable. As I might have said on another thread, their early maps for 535d were too aggressive and caused some to go into limp mode (was at the Nurburgring though, so a bit extreme conditions) but subsequent remaps have not had this problem. See if you can get a dyno plot of their remap - just having peak numbers is one thing, but seeing how it plays out over the entire rev range is more important.

Compare the DMS dyno plot to the Hartge plot, and see which one looks smoother and most progressive, as this will be the most satisfying to drive in the long term. (Maps with high boost but are a little spiky can be tiring to drive because the rate of acceleration is not as linear and smooth as it should be)

Either way, I don't think you'll find much problem with the DMS or the Hartge.

I cant imagine any company making a ''rough map'' as every customer would complain about the total ''Undriveability'' of it.
      11-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Roadster

I had my E46 330cd remapped by DMS and I was more than impressed - very linear power delivery and a huge difference overall. I ran the car for 18 mths before changing to the 335i and it never gave me any problems whatsoever. It was serviced once during this period and the Dealer didn't mention anything to me about the extra performance.

If DMS ever do crack the 335i ECU code I'll be one of the first in line!
Previous car:
BMW E92 335i SE Manual 2006
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stKnight View Post
I had my E46 330cd remapped by DMS and I was more than impressed - very linear power delivery and a huge difference overall. I ran the car for 18 mths before changing to the 335i and it never gave me any problems whatsoever. It was serviced once during this period and the Dealer didn't mention anything to me about the extra performance.

If DMS ever do crack the 335i ECU code I'll be one of the first in line!
Why not Procede, its so simple
      11-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I cant imagine any company making a ''rough map'' as every customer would complain about the total ''Undriveability'' of it.
Unfortunately, commercial demands dictates that some companies will cut corners in trying to gain as much business as possible. It is a fact of life, and applies equally in the tuning industry as it does in manufacturing, for instance. You'll find there are quite a few companies (fortunately not so many in the UK) who have in the past produced 'rough' maps. Remember, a lot of people only see headline figures, and don't look at how the car performs across the rev range. The less scrupulous tuners can have a tendancy to go gung-ho on the power output, without considering whether the rest of the car can cope with the extra power...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Proceed is simple. But IMO it is not as elegant solution as a remap, and I don't personally want the hassle of removing it everytime the car goes into a dealer (which recently has been pretty damn often!) Also, until we've finished the shakedown on James' car, I'm going to reserve judgement on the Proceed in terms of its linearity of output. For instance, driving his car on 1.47 Proceed against the Hartge car, it's a considerable difference in the way the power is developed. Both are hugely quick, and great fun, but the Proceed delivers more of a 'whack' in the back, whereas the Hartge is more linear and just builds speed without you really noticing. I want to see how V2 Proceed goes, before making up my mind. Also by then, the rest of my car will be complete and ready for a remap...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Yes, Proceed is simple. But IMO it is not as elegant solution as a remap, and I don't personally want the hassle of removing it everytime the car goes into a dealer (which recently has been pretty damn often!) Also, until we've finished the shakedown on James' car, I'm going to reserve judgement on the Proceed in terms of its linearity of output. For instance, driving his car on 1.47 Proceed against the Hartge car, it's a considerable difference in the way the power is developed. Both are hugely quick, and great fun, but the Proceed delivers more of a 'whack' in the back, whereas the Hartge is more linear and just builds speed without you really noticing. I want to see how V2 Proceed goes, before making up my mind. Also by then, the rest of my car will be complete and ready for a remap...
Is procede V1.47 really ''that much quicker'' than stock?

would you say V1.47 is laggy, i only say that as you refer to a ''whack in da back'' as if its got no boost, then hits you like a hammer.

Carlos
      11-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
The boost comes in too strong, too early, that's the issue and then seeminlgy tails to stock like figures (actually higher but feels less because of the uneven delivery)

Don't get me wrong it's good, real good, but suits some styles more than others I would think.

V2 smooths the curve and gives more on top, so it's actually faster but feels more gentle.

What Tony and I have discovered is with the open differential i.e. no LSD the standard electronic TC is cutting in way more than we realise, That's on your big D's too.

i.e. just because the yellow light isn't on doesn't mean the tc isn't nannying the power delivery.

We're pretty sure about this now - I've driven Tony's LSD 335i and I reckon from a standing start his is as quick to pull away as mine give or take.

It just feels better. Oh and Drifts like a goodun now - we've not done any back to back runs, it wouldn't be worth it because of the weight difference but it does Butt dyno very well.

The TC is cutting at least 40 to 50% of our power I would hazard in 1st gear and maybe 20% in second.

SJ
      11-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #14
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Nooooooooo...I prefer the ECU remap option by far. I'm enjoying my car now in stock form so I can wait another year or so....
Previous car:
BMW E92 335i SE Manual 2006
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
The boost comes in too strong, too early, that's the issue and then seeminlgy tails to stock like figures (actually higher but feels less because of the uneven delivery)

Don't get me wrong it's good, real good, but suits some styles more than others I would think.

V2 smooths the curve and gives more on top, so it's actually faster but feels more gentle.

What Tony and I have discovered is with the open differential i.e. no LSD the standard electronic TC is cutting in way more than we realise, That's on your big D's too.

i.e. just because the yellow light isn't on doesn't mean the tc isn't nannying the power delivery.

We're pretty sure about this now - I've driven Tony's LSD 335i and I reckon from a standing start his is as quick to pull away as mine give or take.

It just feels better. Oh and Drifts like a goodun now - we've not done any back to back runs, it wouldn't be worth it because of the weight difference but it does Butt dyno very well.

The TC is cutting at least 40 to 50% of our power I would hazard in 1st gear and maybe 20% in second.

SJ
I agree, the LSD makes SUCH a massive difference to the way the car drives, accelerates and corners. I'll be posting a separate thread about the LSD a little later on today, now that I've spent a week working out what it does and how it does it. I think it will make a huge difference to the 335d as well, because it really does help prevent the traction control from cutting in too early (even though the TC light is off, the TC is still on and working - it's just that BMW have raised the threshold before the light comes on, otherwise in the 335s, both Ds and Is, the dash would be like a Christmas tree almost all the time!)

James' 1.47 Proceed is incredibly quick, but it does deliver its power in one big bang... I hope V2 smooths everything out and makes the power delivery more linear. If he had an LSD, I really wouldn't see him for dust... although at the moment I have a feeling that I can pretty much keep up with him from a standing start, due to the extra traction I have.

Last edited by E92Fan; 11-26-2007 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Guys i have also heard you can map the V.20 yourself?! seems a little strange?

any info?
      11-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #17
red-max
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post

SJ
Oh no no no! I'm just beginning to really enjoy my 335d, but the traction control light flashes like a b*stard (especially in the wet), and now you're telling me it would be so much better with an LSD... aaargh!!! You guys are a very bad influence on my bank balance...
      11-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #18
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Red-max it's like night and day. I'm actually sorry to tell you as I don't have the LSD yet so am annoyed.

I had to "re-learn" when I took Tony's car out for a spin.

I'd forgotten how much the NANNY looks after you. With LSD it just squats and GOES ! trouble is you need to be aware, because if you're pulling out of a street and flooring it to miss traffic Like i did IT will just light up and fishtail WIDE !

11-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
scooba0010 Has any one any experiance with dms ,They have mailed me today saying they could safely map my car to 245bhp and 530nm torque and all done £595 plus vat at my home .The technician claims this is undetectable by bmw service ect what does any one think ,can they be hidden thanks in advance
DMS have mapped 2 of my previous cars,E46-330D saloon and a E46-330D coupe,they are a nice outfit to do business with.
Both cars returned awesome performance with improved MPG figures,when I managed to keep my right foot at a sensible position in relation to the accelerator pedal!
Neither cars caused any problems as a result of the remap.

DMS are a very professional outfit with a reputation that goes before them.

I'd agree with Tony in regards to detection of the map,however DMS will redo the map for free if it is discovered during the course of a service and it's 'lost',you take need to take your car to Totton though

Scooba if you join BMWland, which will cost you a tenner,you will get a 25% discount if you take your car to them (DMS), and a 10% discount if they (DMS) come out to you,it is a tenner well spent!

http://www.bmwland.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 04:07 AM   #20
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
DMS have mapped 2 of my previous cars,E46-330D saloon and a E46-330D coupe,they are a nice outfit to do business with.
Both cars returned awesome performance with improved MPG figures,when I managed to keep my right foot at a sensible position in relation to the accelerator pedal!
Neither cars caused any problems as a result of the remap.

DMS are a very professional outfit with a reputation that goes before them.

I'd agree with Tony in regards to detection of the map,however DMS will redo the map for free if it is discovered during the course of a service and it's 'lost',you take need to take your car to Totton though

Scooba if you join BMWland, which will cost you a tenner,you will get a 25% discount if you take your car to them (DMS), and a 10% discount if they (DMS) come out to you,it is a tenner well spent!

http://www.bmwland.co.uk

I find BMWland a bit young and sarcy at times. Does it cost a tenner now to join? sod that just to join a forum.
      11-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #21
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
dxb335d
I find BMWland a bit young and sarcy at times. Does it cost a tenner now to join? sod that just to join a forum.
Mmm bit too down in the mouth for young execs like you Carlos,best avoided.

It does not cost a tenner to join the forum,JUST a tenner to take advantage of the discount section.
If you can get 25% off a DMS remap for just a tenner,it's a no-brainer IMO.

Carlos are you a member of this jolly forum?:

http://forums.essexracing.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Mmm bit too down in the mouth for young execs like you Carlos,best avoided.

It does not cost a tenner to join the forum,JUST a tenner to take advantage of the discount section.
If you can get 25% off a DMS remap for just a tenner,it's a no-brainer IMO.

Carlos are you a member of this jolly forum?:

http://forums.essexracing.com/
Hi Ian, no i am not? never heard of it untill now. Are you a member?

Carlos