E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has this EVER happened to you before?

04-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Has this EVER happened to you before?

Ok, So I have a 2008 E90. I've replaced the sparks, coils, oil, radiator pump, vacuums, battery cable under warranty, installed LED lights in the interior, and even have new brakes sitting in boxes in the house.

I have coded my car - I've got everything going well (folding mirrors, all doors unlock after turning it off, windows roll down and sunroof open if I hold the unlock (and the opposite if I hold the lock) button, and lastly I installed the Alphine (whatever its called) transmission mod.

The car has been "ok" - but lately it has a really rough idol. Today, I took out my trusty COBB tuner and decided - what the hell - it's time to put that bad boy to work again after everything has been changed out... I installed a normal stage 1 aggressive map - all happy to feel the power again... after it finished - I cranked up the car, put it in reverse - and BOOM it sounded like the friggen transmission was about to fall out the car... it sounded like metal on metal.. so I put it in park - took the cobb - unturned the car - and prayed - and cranked the car again after it was uninstalled - the same metal sound started again, but this time much less- and after putting it in reverse it went away...

so have any of you experienced that before??? WTF? How the hell do you guys tune your cars??? what am I doing wrong??? aghhhhhhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Kenu8187
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

First gear change after installing or switching maps is rough I've noticed and has a jerk to it. After that it goes normal. So install or switch maps, go to reverse and it's a hard jolt, put in gear and drive off normal. But tie first gear change every time for me is rough
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

idk if your being sarcastic but i have no experienced any jolts or jerks after installing cobb. esp metal and metal. something else is up with your car and its not cobs fault. take it to the dealer make sure cobb is not installed and see what up. this is not an issue hoping to resolve on some forums
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yeah not being sarcastic at all.. being pissed - yes. The problem is I've had the COBB for a while - I've used it... first time I used it - car got check engine light (turned out to be misfire and I changed sparks and coils). Second time I tuned it got check engine light (Vacuum for turbo cracked) - then I figured I'd hold off - but then tuned it once more... and low and behold - another check engine - this time the radiator pump went out (I don't think any of these were Cobb's fault - but I think the added stress just made the problems become more visible to the car's computer). Today, after tuning - it was the put in reverse and it was the jerking and grinding - now untuned it and it worked (after a few seconds of jerk and making odd sounds).

So Kenu - you say it did the same for you and you just let it happen and finally went away? I guess I could try it - but damn, all I could think about is pulling out and hearing metal drop to the ground - and me calling a tow truck tomorrow... I just am not sure what else is left to go wrong on the car? I have 72k miles on a 2008 that I'm the 3rd owner... (not what I would like, but what I could afford at the time). I've been wanting to invest in the FMIC - but with all these issues - I'm not sure if it's worth the investment? Maybe I need JB4 or something?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post
idk if your being sarcastic but i have no experienced any jolts or jerks after installing cobb. esp metal and metal. something else is up with your car and its not cobs fault. take it to the dealer make sure cobb is not installed and see what up. this is not an issue hoping to resolve on some forums
Did you code your car with the new transmission tune? I never had this before that tune, and frankly I haven't tried it after the tune - I've heard many, many people on the forums say after the transmission tune (the coding) and the COBB tune, that the car should be perfect... mine doesn't sound so perfect.... sucks - Thanks for the reply though...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Kenu8187
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I don't have any major metal on metal trans falls out of car sound feeling. Buts it's a noticeable jolt like a harsh gear change. Bit of a kick to it, not as major as you mention but I notice it on map switches, but only first gear change everything else is fine
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
SeminoleN54
Turbo
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you have the Alpina TCU Flash, and you install COBB, starting your car right after the flash it will do this. It's normal. You should also notice abnormal gear changes in D for the first few minutes of driving, such as starting in D3, randomly downshifting etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleN54
If you have the Alpina TCU Flash, and you install COBB, starting your car right after the flash it will do this. It's normal. You should also notice abnormal gear changes in D for the first few minutes of driving, such as starting in D3, randomly downshifting etc.
Ok so this is normal? Ok well that is good to know. I will give it another go and hope for the best. It's just that when I heard and felt that sound, I just had flashes of tow trucks in my mind...
Appreciate 0