E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > K&N Air Filter / Warranty problem??

12-24-2005, 10:35 PM   #1
E90330iSMG
Rep
Drives: 330i Sport

Lightbulb K&N Air Filter / Warranty problem??

Hey guys!! I have just gotten a K&N air filter (#33-2332). im planning to install it tomorrow, is it going to void my warranty in any department of my car? I'm excited for the air filter, it has only come out for about a month!! I hope its effective!! Thanks for the responses guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 12:05 AM   #2
MAbbottUSMC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW 325I

Nope, K&N is big on not voiding warrantys. That's one of their main goals. I was listening to a promo cd while I was at pepboys about it. Just make sure u stick that sticker on your box saying that it's a reuseable filter and not to throw it away.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 03:42 AM   #3
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Like all mods, it cannot void the warranty unless BMW North America can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was the modification that caused the product failure. In the end, it is most often far less of a pain in the ass for BMW NA to simply provide warranty coverage instead of getting everyone's panties in a twist with a warranty exclusion.

There are exceptions to this. Put a turbo on your vehicle, and it is an automatic total warranty exclusion; the sheer level of modification involved in a turbo and the massive horsepower increase is enough to justify a warranty exclusion.

P.S.

Semper Fi Marine
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

It will void the warranty on the airmass meter.

Now this wasnt a problem on the E46, but the E39 5 Series had huge problems with K&N oil killing the airmass meters ( doesnt matter if the were oiled properly or not ). This wasnt nice on M5 that had 2 meters at around $500 each

So if the E90 meter isnt affected you should be fine, but noone knows yet
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
gdcwatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege

I just checked aempower.com, because I knew they had introduced a new "dry" [non-oiled] airfilter, but didn't find an appropriate, direct replacement, application for the e90.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #6
Texas330i
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

Hey E90330iSMG, please let me know your thoughts on performance enhancements, as well as the difference in engine sound as you test out por new K&N. Where did you purchase it? Previous threads indicated that the stock air filter is 2 part. I have not looked yet, but is this a problem with the one piece K&N?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

too early to make mods to the e90. it may never be a good idea to make non bmw approved mods to such a sophisticated car due to so many functions controlled by its computers that are primed for the OEM Components already in the car.

if you want mods to the car, then factory options are the way to go OR for greater performance go for the next model or another series whichever will give you what you are looking for.

then again, good luck with the air filter and let us know how you go.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Fleet:

Is there an international tech bullitin about the K&N HFM warranty void or is this a local thing to South Africa?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
shadye90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Fanatic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas330i
Hey E90330iSMG, please let me know your thoughts on performance enhancements, as well as the difference in engine sound as you test out por new K&N. Where did you purchase it? Previous threads indicated that the stock air filter is 2 part. I have not looked yet, but is this a problem with the one piece K&N?
I have already installed the K&N filter on my 325i and it sounds awesome...as far as performance increase is concerned I really cant tell...Yes the stock airbox has a replaceable air filter and a built in charcoal filter...I have put about 600 miles on my K&N filter so far and have not experienced any problems yet....

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0