F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Parked convertible with roof off - why - rain, poo, theft?
Studio RSR

04-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
E90F30er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI E90 320i

Question Parked convertible with roof off - why - rain, poo, theft?

Why do people do this? What happens if it rains, a bird poos or something is nicked? Does the alarm go off if someone gets in?

Last edited by E90F30er; 04-30-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
jaffab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 420d xdrive M Sport

Dont know about BMWs, but my last car as a volvo C70 cab hard top.

I left it down if I went shopping because a) I was being flash and b) I could not be ar$ed to put it up, and then down again.

Bird poo? Yep, as the saying going... poo happens (never happened to me). Somehing is nicked? On my volvo, it had ultrasonic sensors which would detected things inside the car arm size or more, would sound the horn with a warning beep, and then would sound the alarm until it was removed.

What is more of a concern, is people who hate people in convertables, and the arams never detected spit :-|
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Yesterday while out and about visiting some nice nurses, was a newish Z4 in car park, nice red leather, roof down.

Why?

It's bloody Wolverhampton someone will steal a seat, steering wheel anything.

Was handy for my dog poo bag though as a little far to walk to the bin hehe.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Probably because they are coming back to it fairly soon? I don't go out with the roof down to go and park and go shopping. The roof being down is generally the reason for the journey in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

leaving the top down in a "busy" area isnt so bad. no ones going to steal anything from the car with people around. Plus if theres nothing visible...theres nothing to grab. some cars have interior sensors which is nice to have if you keep the top down.

Some people get too lazy to wait for the top to go down/up....so if theres nothing in the car to steal...theres really no risk

I personally would worry about bird poop or someone being a jerk and spitting in the car
      04-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I leave the Z4 rood down occasionally, depending on where I am, how long I will be away, whether I can still see it, the weather, my mood, whether i need access to the boot... bird shit needs cleaned up whether it lands inside the car or on the roof so that wouldn't bother me.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Convertible leathers are normally different from normal leather if I am correct, designed to protect itself against strong Sun ray, bird crap etc...

The interior has motion sensor, even with roof down, if someone slips a hand in, the sensors activate the alarms.

I have left the roof down plenty of times but in safe areas. Ideal of you parking a short time, putting the roof up and down, increases wear and tear.

It's also a chance to give the interior a good chance to breath, if it has been stuff (smokers cars)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90F30er View Post
Why do people do this? What happens if it rains, a bird poos or something is nicked? Does the alarm go off if someone gets in?
Rain is bad but it isn't too difficult to figure that without any clouds whatsoever visible right now it can't rain. I also put the driver seat forward so that it stays dry

People climbing in will trigger the alarm. Never happened to me.

Bird poo on leather is actually less damaging than same on paint

My nicks happen open or closed, by parking next to where that fat SUV with the massachusetts person will park in 2 minutes and slam the door open.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
Flakmunky
Amateur Brain Surgeon & Olympic Knitting Champion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E85, E92, F31, G31

Years ago I had a MGF and on the forum I frequented there someone posted saying their car had been parked with the roof down and they came back to find a massive cigarette burn hole in the drivers seat.

Since reading that I have never parked any of the convertibles I have owned with the top down...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakmunky View Post
Years ago I had a MGF and on the forum I frequented there someone posted saying their car had been parked with the roof down and they came back to find a massive cigarette burn hole in the drivers seat.

Since reading that I have never parked any of the convertibles I have owned with the top down...
The convertible roof opening and closing mechanism is about the complexity of a space shuttle on caffeine. There is limited lifetime in those components. Closing and opening it several times a day might have significant cost later.

That is a case of vandalism that is rare (not to mention criminal since the whole car can catch fire). But I am pretty positive that even replacing the entire seat costs less than the average roof repair.

I also wonder whether a cigarette goes all the way through leather. Either way there are leather fixing places who are good at that sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
The convertible roof opening and closing mechanism is about the complexity of a space shuttle on caffeine. There is limited lifetime in those components. Closing and opening it several times a day might have significant cost later.

That is a case of vandalism that is rare (not to mention criminal since the whole car can catch fire). But I am pretty positive that even replacing the entire seat costs less than the average roof repair.

I also wonder whether a cigarette goes all the way through leather. Either way there are leather fixing places who are good at that sort of thing.

Not sure if I would call it rare, at least 30 cases of convertibles being 'done over' last summer here.

Some admittedly don't think about exactly where they leave top down, I mean inner city pup car park and are surprised what ends up inside car?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Europe is certainly a different matter, as is any place where intoxicated people (regardless of toxin used) hang out.

Suburban united states is a different matter. They will ding your car with their doors but assaults are rare.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Europe is certainly a different matter, as is any place where intoxicated people (regardless of toxin used) hang out.

Suburban united states is a different matter. They will ding your car with their doors but assaults are rare.
Oh sorry you are American.

Inner city car parks don't have drunks in them, just packs of youths ( chavs, oxygen thieves).

It is those that will bugger your car up.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Shocking, hate twats that just run off, knowing they did it.
Go Brigand!

Oh wait, wrong thread.
      05-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #15
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
Go Brigand!

Oh wait, wrong thread.
???

Obviously went to a lot of trouble to try and make a point.

Apologies just don't get it.

Try simple English.

Last edited by ....,,,,..,,..; 05-02-2014 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 03:35 AM   #16
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
???

Obviously went to a lot of trouble to try and make a point.

Apologies just don't get it.

Try simple English.
OK.

A couple of months ago you understandably offer sympathy to someone who has had their car damaged. I remember you posting this because I agreed with you - people who damage someone else's property and run off are twats.

Now you claim to have deliberately chucked a bag of dog shit into someone's car. Why you did this is not quite clear but you seem to find it funny.

I don't have a Z4. But if I did I'd like to think that I could park it somewhere with the roof down and return to it without finding a bag of "poo" (or anything else) waiting for me.

So why did you do it?
      05-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
OK.

A couple of months ago you understandably offer sympathy to someone who has had their car damaged. I remember you posting this because I agreed with you - people who damage someone else's property and run off are twats.

Now you claim to have deliberately chucked a bag of dog shit into someone's car. Why you did this is not quite clear but you seem to find it funny.

I don't have a Z4. But if I did I'd like to think that I could park it somewhere with the roof down and return to it without finding a bag of "poo" (or anything else) waiting for me.

So why did you do it?
Blatantly I never as I was visiting nurses at a hospital and car was in a hospital car park. I was highlighting (obviously poorly) attitudes to car parked with tops down. If you park on a street or car park in a city, then people will and do target soft tops, whether it's to slash soft top or dump rubbish in them.
So no it's not funny and I believe people doing that are scum.
Obviously a misunderstanding
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
my father in law lived in a suburban town in Indiana, he had to sell his daily driver bentley MONTHS after he got it because too many people were messing with it. dings, key marks, scratches, spit
      05-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
my father in law lived in a suburban town in Indiana, he had to sell his daily driver bentley MONTHS after he got it because too many people were messing with it. dings, key marks, scratches, spit
Yeah but a Bentley on the street at night is different from a 3-series convertible in the supermarket lot at daytime.
Appreciate 0